I want to share a thought on our local news station on New Year's Day. The evening news was all GOOD! They told of no problems, murders, thefts, violence, etc. The stories for 1 1 /2 hours were of local heroes, acts of kindness, kids doing good, cute pet stories, etc. It was wonderful! I have always said we need a TV channel or a paper that does just that. It was so refreshing to see about so much good! Nice way to start the year.
The weather has still been averaging above normal temps for this time of the year. It sure is weird.
We finally got sun on Thursday and have had it off and on since. That always makes things better.
My frugal week:
- I have a jar candle that was burning uneven (and it is a wonderful smell), so I cut out the non-burned part and chunked it up for my melt pots. It works wonderfully
- I got the upstairs pantry all straightened and cleaned up. I can see everything again!
- Colored my hair with 1/3 box of color
- Started a new daily journal (notebook) for 2019. Last one lasted me 2 full years. I bought this on clearance a year or so ago
- Been using all leftovers and recreating some of them into new dishes. Made a big pot of "trash can" soup - just odds and ends left in bowls and baggies (from frig & freezer)
- Put 2 "new" smoke detectors up in the basement near furnace and electric panel. I received both as gifts a year ago - had batteries here
- De-cluttering and straightening more
- Cleaned the oven with baking soda and vinegar - it was an after holiday mess!
- Took trash out the other night for p/u the next morning and someone had been going through cans already out and made a mess. I was picking up trash across the alley and found a "new" graph sheet notebook that had been thrown out. Only had 3 pages written on - I brought it in and will use as a notebook (it was totally clean)
- I was cleaning out wallet of any receipts from last month and noticed 2 coupons wrapped in receipt from Kroger. One for FREE dozen large eggs (no other purchase nec.) and one was for $5 off ANY purchase.
- Being a no spend month I debated - but both coupons expired on Saturday and this was Friday. I run up to Kroger and got FREE eggs and roll sausage was 2/$5 and I got 2 rolls for FREE. Bought nothing else!!!!!!! WOOHOO!! I just could not pass up free.
- Received another sheet of free address labels from a charity.
- Refilled canisters and glass storage jars from stock
- Spent NO money this week and used NO GC's
Sausage gravy and biscuits
Shrimp (with cocktail sauce) and salad
Corned beef & cabbage, black eyed peas
Rueben sandwiches (YUM), chips
"Trash can" soup - chicken/veggies/rice - 2X
Homemade beef/onion sliders (like White Castle) and salad
Leftovers for lunches and munching on cheese, crackers, and beef stick. Trying to cut back on sweets - but still eating a few (almost gone!)
How was your week? Did you get any deals or save any money this week? How are you doing IF you are doing a no spend month? Is your home back to 'normal'? Give us a shout out.
I am missing a few of our contributors that haven't posted in a while. Hope you are all well.
I pray you are all safe and healthy. Hopes that all are staying frugal, and that we are ALL given the strength and wisdom to not spend in a frivolous way.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.