For all our readers here in U.S. we are something like 32 days till Spring! Here's hoping! Seriously, here in my region we have had a really mild winter, but I am more than ready to get out and do something outside without dealing with the mud and the cold!
I am seeing so many different types of birds at the feeders. I am seeing some I haven't seen for a few months. That is a good sign. I have daffodils poking through the ground. They are about 2" tall. The berry briars have red stems. All will be back to life soon. THEN we will be griping about the heat, mowing, pulling, etc.!!!!! No making us happy.
We have had cold, super cold, snow and rain this week. Woke to 2*F on Thursday - yep that was cold. It hurt to breathe. Today should be up in the 40's. Crazy weather.
The birds sure have LOVED the heated bird bath this week. The water is above freezing - but not hot. They would come get a drink and then sit and just warm themselves with the steam! It was busy constantly for 2 days! Just so sweet.
I think my garden angel was shivering!!!!
- Filled all the feed bins before the super cold came in. Filled all feeders
- Made a batch of squirrel treats to help fill in with food (was running low on corn again)
- Refilled my ice melt container - so I don't have to lug around a heavy bag (I keep a gallon ice cream container full)
- Made a big batch of rice. Froze part plain - for some other meal. Made some fried rice with part
- Dropped off a bag of items at church thrift store. Got some older free bread for the birds and I received a 2lb. bag of yellow split peas for FREE (I will never go hungry)
- Needing corn for squirrels by Saturday and I really didn't want to drive all the way to feed store. I happened to remember the garden center. I have know the owners most of my life - so I don't know why I never thought of it before. Much closer. Got corn and peanuts.
- Just around the corner from the garden center is a super Kroger. I have only been there a couple times (the parking lot is wacky). It is like WM - has everything. I just walked around to have something to do. I did buy 2 - .99 bags of oranges and 2 cream cheese.
- Just doing all the normal stuff. Cooking from scratch, using what I have, drinking water and fruit juice, straightening and de-cluttering, just doing odds and ends. SO BORING!!!!!
Meals this past week:
Leftover beef/cheesy mac with beans added
Chicken & dumplings (small Sweet Sue can) and mashed potatoes, green beans (from freezer)
Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Veggie fried rice
Chili (from freezer) and cheese and crackers
Homemade veggie fried rice with some left to freeze for later!
Nothing exciting again this week. I heard about a new resale shop just a mile or so away and plan on going there in the next week or two. They don't call themselves a thrift store but resale store. They appear to have everything. Sounds like a fun day. The orchard is re-open for the next 2 weeks to get rid of fall stock. May go there as well. Just trying to come up with something to keep me busy. I have a couple days coming up to watch the neighbors dog while they go out of town (he stays at his house - I just feed and let him out). I have a wedding the last day of the month - so maybe the days till spring will pass quickly.
How was your week? Are you staying on track with spending and your 20 challenge? Are you doing anything exciting or different to pass the time?
Look forward to hearing from everyone.
Stay safe and healthy my friends.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.