Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Spring Has Made it!

 Good morning to all.  Yes, spring has made it to our area.  It has been so lovely and warm.  Now we will still have some cool days and nights - but the world is coming back to life.  I love it.
The past couple days were in the 80's!  Today 70's and VERY windy.  Storms off and on.

Last night I was awakened about midnight with thunder.  Didn't last long.  Back to sleep and I got woke up to quite a loud noise.  It was 2:30AM.  I get up and all is good in the house and I look out the bedrooms windows and I see the rain barrel has blown over!  I have one out and it is a little heavy - even has bricks in the bottom.  The wind!!!  So I put on flip-flops and go out in jammies to set it inside the back gate.  It is hard to wrangle.  Blown over by the wind!  Geesh.  Never had that happen before.
It was amazing how warm it was outside.

Just a little tour of the yard - not a lot.  But things are getting so lovely and in just a couple days things have really grown and greened.  Weeds are growing like crazy!  No matter what else grows - the weeds are always there.  LOL
The perennial bed is really over doing itself.  Lilies of all kinds are up, poppies busting the bounds of the flowerbed, Echinacea, phlox, coreopsis all popping up.  The tulips and daffodils are done.  They were all over the area for a couple weeks.  My gifted iris have started showing green!  Next color will be poppies.  You can see the peonies in the background - they have gotten tall.  Lots of empty pots to be filled with garden goodies soon!
                                                     A different view from the other side.
           Grape arbor is starting to leaf.  This was a couple days ago - it is really popping out today!
Lovelies starting to bloom.  I always forget what this is called.  It was a gift from a friend right after G passed.  It is just lovely this spring.  Such dainty little flowers.
The vinca vine is blooming out front, lambs' ear is growing in leaps and bounds, spiderwort is coming up, lemon balm and mint are all flourishing, just so many lovely things to look at.

It seems to be a bumper crop year for purple dead nettle - my goodness, I have a crop going on out there.  It is just thick in certain areas.  I have seen many people say they have tons this spring.  I need to get busy and figure out something I can do with it, besides pull it!!!  It is medicinal in many ways.

Do you use it for anything?  Let us know if you do.  I have a couple sites saved that give different ideas - but like to hear someone who is actually using it.

Bits always wants to make sure I know it is close to breakfast time each morning, and he comes in yelling to wake me at about 5AM!  I pet him and assure him soon.  I lay there and listen to the birds just chirping and singing their songs in the dark.  It is something.  What a great way to start the day - being needed, listening to nature and saying my morning prayers.

One last picture.  Buddies sharing a window - enjoying the fresh air.  There is a 2nd one open not 4" to the left of Bitsy (double window) - but they seem to like being together.
Cute note - there is a black kitty that roams around outside.  It is the neighbor's cat, Licorice.  It hangs out here a lot (to hunt birds I believe).  If Bits see it - he thinks it is Blackie and gets all worried.  He starts crying and yelling and running from window to window.  I tell him Blackie is in the other room and point - he turns and looks that way - then runs in and finds him.  That is his buddy for sure.  Sometimes Blackie comes to find him, and it quiets him down.  Two peas in a pod!!!

Have a great day my friends.  Stay safe and enjoy all the gifts of spring!!!!!

26 comments:

  1. Weeds are plants that grow where we don't want them. ha! The chickens love the purple dead nettle, and we have plenty of it. Yup, the wind was strong. Supposed to get some off-and-on showers today.

    Pinned the cute picture of your kitties to my Pets board on Pinterest.

    Have a splendid day, despite the weather. We are going out to run errands and then to the dentist. I told my eye doctor I'd rather see her instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Weeds grow drought or monsoon! Tough little buggers - to bad we can't cross breed!
      I ran a few errands too - got back and a quick shower happened.

      Delete
  2. Love the pic of the cats. I got two boys that enjoy sitting in the window too when I have it open. That's adorable about the cats. Animals can have such strong bonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it is odd since Blackie has been around for years and Bits still is a kitten essentially. They sure took to each other. I love it. Cats are the best!

      Delete
  3. Nice to have a tour of your home and garden today. The rain is coming in from the east and it looks like a good day for baking.
    Did you know that daylily greens are edible? Yours are too far along but when they're only 3 or 4 inches, they can be used. They will come back again and again. I had a problem with daylilies taking over a flower bed and had a devil of a time getting them out. I still dig out tiny ones that I see before the bed gets overgrown with spring bulbs, pulmonaria and iris and sweet william.
    Such lucky kitties at your house and they deserve the love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did not - that is good to know for the future. I did know young Hosta shoots were good to eat. Nature sure does provide us with a whole lot of yums to nourish our bodies!
      The kitties have it made! They make me happy.

      Delete
  4. It got up to 87 here Monday. I'm not quite ready for that so I'm going to enjoy the cool front this weekend. lol Your yard really does look like Spring. I love the cat picture. I'm wondering if Binx may need a friend. Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday did get pretty darn toasty. Today is great even with the showers and wind.
      I bet Binx would love a friend. I didn't think Blackie would - but boy he sure latched on the Bits.

      Delete
  5. We saw snowflakes this morning but it melted as it hit the ground. I suppose if it gets colder overnight, we might see some on the ground tomorrow.
    Your plants all look so lovely. I do appreciate perennials because they are much easier than dealing with annuals. However the annuals do add a nice bit of color.
    Enjoy your warm days. Those kittens have the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no snowflakes. I sure hope it is about over for you - how icky. I do love my perennial bed - I will have annuals too. All those plants in that ed came from mom & dads many years ago.
      I do love the fresh air. Hope you get to open windows soon!

      Delete
  6. Aww! That is so precious about Bitsy and Blackie! ♥️ They really are two peas in a pod! So glad the weather is getting warmer for you! And I also love to listen to the birds real early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty darn cute. I love the warmer days.
      Mornings are just so serine!

      Delete
  7. Such a cute picture of your two cats. Poor Bits getting worried his oppo is outside, Licorice is a great name for a black cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh if Bits can't see Blackie - he is worried, especially when he sees a black kitty outside! It is so sweet.
      I thought that was a great name too! He hangs out here a lot, too many other cats at his house!! LOL

      Delete
  8. You are so brave going out in the night to wrestle that rain barrel! This sure has been a windy Spring. I noticed we have a bunch more sticks down in the yard. It warmed up so quick but next week will be chilly again.

    This morning we had our first breakfast picnic of the year at the nearby lake park. The birds were swooping and flying fast catching insects over the water. We had the windows mostly closed but when it gets warmer and they are all the way down It seems as though they will fly through the van and indeed one time a bird did. That was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I never thought about it really - I just went out. I was in the path of my yard light - so never felt worried.
      It has been windy for what seems like months!
      A breakfast picnic - how fun! Birds are amazing to watch. hope you had a lovely time.

      Delete
  9. Oh those cutie kitties, what a lot of joy they bring.
    I’m not sure what your mystery plant is called but I have something with a similar leaf but a bigger flower head, so I’ll be interested to see if anyone can identify it. My patch of Lambs Ears was going well until something ( caterpillar, I think) decided to eat it. Now it’s all lacey.
    I thought they were pretty indestructible, but something must like them.
    Last night we had some things stolen from our yard, some buckets, a pair of boots, two chairs. Nothing of great value but upsetting and a pain in the butt because now all those things will have to be replaced. I simply don’t understand the thinking that it’s okay to take others belongings. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes the kitties brought life back in my home!
      Someone told me before, but I can't remember the name. It sure is sweet. Wow, I have never had anything bother Lambs Ear. That is something.
      Dang it, people just have no respect for others these days. I am sorry you had things taken. I guess to make you not feel angry - just think they must have needed it badly. Such a shame. I don't understand people.

      Delete
    2. I know Lambs Ear is very hardy, I looked and looked for the caterpillar culprit, you could see it’s poo, but for the life of me I couldn’t spot it.
      You are absolutely right, they must have needed it. If they had of asked we could have gladly given it, and probably more, but they didn’t, preferring to steal it during the night. The property does back onto a rail track verge so we assume they walked along there, jumped the fence and went back that way. We do have motion detection lights at the front and sides of the house. Looking on the bright side, it will give me an excuse to do a bit of shopping tomorrow, Linda and I might make a morning of it. Gods loving blessings on you Cheryl, I do appreciate your comment above.
      Louise

      Delete
    3. I hope you both enjoy the shopping adventure!!!!

      Delete
  10. We have had some strong winds here as well. Now today the temperature has plummeted and there is a threat of snow. Thankfully at this time of year it shouldn't stick around for long.

    I think that there are a few British Bloggers that could give you hints on using the nettle.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow - say it aint so! I bet you are done with it too.
      I have some sites saved to tell me what to do with the nettle - just thought maybe someone had personal experience. I will figure out something. Thanks

      Delete
  11. Your garden is lovely, weeds and all, I really love angels in a garden and I like the wary you strategically placed the gazing ball on the strawberry pot.

    Your story of the kitties so warmed my heart, I loved reading about those little miracles that God sent you. Please post about them more often!

    As you probably already know, nettles are good for allergies in a tea.

    God bless you Cheryl, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have had that angel for years. My kitties have truly brought joy back in the house.
      Yes, I look to use them for that and other ways.
      Thanks. Nice to have you stop in!!! Take care.

      Delete
  12. That first area will be beautiful when it blooms. I hope you take pictures of it as it blooms.

    ReplyDelete