Sunday, May 5, 2024

Weekly Wrap Up 5/5

 First Sunday of May - you know this month will just fly by!  Hope this finds you all well and safe.
Cinco de Mayo!!  Today is a celebration to many.  Yesterday was the Kentucky Derby - that is always quite a spectacle.  Just so much going on in the month pf May.


Farm markets started here yesterday - I did not go to the one closest by.  Let's see - I saw the Grosbeak a second time this week.  I had my first hummingbird of the season at the feeder!  The bright yellow goldfinches were back.
The bright pink house sold and is getting a makeover.  They have been dismantling the inside and putting in new windows - it's still pink at the moment!  
"The" neighbor and his U-Haul left at 6:30 AM on May 1!  Guess he was anxious to get out of 'Dodge'!  LOL.  His son and DIL are staying there right now with their dog.  He has more to get and do over there this month.
I have all kinds of things starting to bloom now.  The poppies are glorious, the peonies are starting to pop and the clematis started blooming.  The roses are covered in buds.
What a lovely time of the year!!!!!!

I have been working on losing a little weight this month.  Eating a lot of veggies and a little meat mainly.  Working outside helps with exercise - I am seeing a little difference already.
Allergies are in full blown mode! ICK!

My week:
  • Went to the birthday party last Sunday and saw lots of family and met new people
  • Got the hummingbird feeders out and filled with homemade nectar
  • My sugar canister was emptied, so went down to get sugar from the overstock - LOL - it was dated 2021!  Still perfect.
  • Mowed and trimmed the yard - worked hard on the 2 fence rows shared with neighbors (who don't seem to trim)
  • Trimmed the 4 big forsythia out back and cut all the pampas grass back
  • Cleared out the weeds and leaves the entire way down the drive (between drive and fence) about 6" wide.
  • Tree guy came by and gave an estimate - brought his equipment in case.  Had him clear out about 4 good size dead limbs (about 4-5" girth) and lots of small stuff.  Cut, cleaned it up, took with him and only cost me $100.  I was happy.  He was going to charge less, and I told him it wasn't enough!!  LOL
  • I cleaned a side flowerbed of weeds and added mulch I had on hand
  • Bought many flowers and veggies this week
  • Fill gas tank - 3.29 after discount
  • Did run to Kroger on Friday and got salad veggies.  24 double rolls of TP - 3.99/12.  I got a pack of b/s chicken thighs on clearance for 2.45.  6 pieces - even if I eat 2 for a meal - that is about .86 a meal.  I cooked it all when I got home and froze for future meals.
  • Stopped at the Vet while out and got meds for both kitties.  Flea meds with parasite control included.
  • I went to brunch with brother and his family on Friday for his birthday!
  • Got to air the house a lot & even porch sit a little!
Seems like an accomplished week for me.  I even got to talk with a lot of neighbors this week - seemed to be a visit kind of week.  SO much stuff needs done this time of the year - no end in sight.
Haven't even started the garden yet.  Sure won't run out of things to keep busy!  Lots of free exercise - yeah, my back doesn't agree!

Meals this past week:
At nieces - taco bar
Steamed veggies over rice
Hamburger and fresh veggies
Smoked sausage and fried cabbage
Tuna patty, spinach and fresh veggies
Brunch out - biscuits and gravy & hash browns  -  salad later at home
Chicken and a salad

How was your week?  Are you all getting into yard/garden mode?  Tis the season!
Finding any deals?  Doing spring cleaning?  What's up??  Love hearing from you all.  Missing several who need to check in PLEASE!

I think I will mow again today - as it looks like we have a chance for rain just about every day this week - sun and rain.  Need to get things done while it is possible.
Bitsy is a real chatterbox this morning.  That boy hasn't shut up all morning!  He is just carrying on and Blackie just looks at him like "I'm trying to sleep here"!

I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead.  Hope you will all be safe and healthy this week.
Blessings to you and yours from my humble little home.
*******************

And let us not grow weary in welldoing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.  So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Galatians 6:9-10

Lord, help us all to reach out and do good deeds for others and to share our wealth and goods with others who are in need.  Let us all realize that we have different opinions and that is fine, as we can still get along.  We don't have to always agree.  May we all look out for others and be kind and keep peace amongst us.  Thank you for our many blessings each day.
Amen


24 comments:

  1. Paying your tree guy more than he wanted just says it all about what kind of person you are. Thank you for making his day. It's not so much the money but the showing of appreciation. You might be interested to know that a neighbor in the city had a BIG limb fall from a monster tree. All it needed was to be cut up and removed. Two men, one using the chainsaw and one stacking the wood by the street, did the job for $600. They put a FREE WOOD sign on the pile and done.
    Well we are in heaven here in the north. Aside from a few mosquitos starting due to the rain we've had, everything is greening up and a zillion spring bulbs are flowering; birds singing; green onions ready in the garden. We are going fishing later today!!
    I'm glad that your neighbor has removed himself. It took a while but as they say. "this too shall pass."
    I need to get out into the yard today; lots of edging and weeding needed. Enjoy your day, Cheryl and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he was a super nice guy, and he works this as a 2nd job (he is a trauma nurse), and has a wife. I will gladly pay well for any job well done and he did that and more. Thank you.
      That is crazy that they charged that much - that is just wrong.
      Matt told me $50 and I looked at him like he was crazy - he said "too much"? Nooooo not at all. This young man will get references from me for other jobs. I appreciate someone with ethics.
      YAY - so glad your world is changing and greening! That sure makes every day just a little better. Fishing sounds fun - we used to do that back in the day! Have fun.
      Yep, glad he is basically gone - it is just a relief.
      Have a great week - catch a bunch!!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Cheryl! You kicked-butt again this week. I love how much you got done. Even some birthday party fun in there too. very cool.

    Yesterday after work we went and looked at the outside garden, garage and stuff at a house. They have the inside open today. We are undecided yet if we wanna go look inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not bad for an old gal!!! LOL
      If you aren't sure - it probably isn't the one. It will happen when you least expect it.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. My littles birthday was good also, though it got rained out from the park and was relocated to home. We had pizza, cupcakes, and arts&crafts projects with paints and clay. Lots of balloons got batted around in the living room and that was great fun for all, adults included. :)

    This is a good weeding day: a decent rain will loosen the soil enough for all sorts of things to pull out easily. :) I'm so happy about that, because the previous dry spell was giving the weeds a chance to grow big and deep roots which would be a bear to remove.

    My Weigela is so full of bloom this year, it's the best I think I can remember. Makes me smile to see it.

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun birthday - even with rain. The littles at mine had a pinata and thought that was great fun.
      rain helps with the weeding so much. Those buggers sure can grow quickly.
      I bet your plant is gorgeous. Flowers are just like jewels. I'd rather have flowers than jewelry!
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic "neighbor deal" on the tree removal. It cost us $4500 to take down 7 dead trees AND he got the wood.

    I love reading about your week in summary. Happy Blessed Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was such a nice guy. I would recommend him in a minute. Boy did he scurry up a tree! Wow, that is a lot of money!!
      Thank you. Just hoping to give someone or two and idea.
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a very productive and fun week. Your meals all sound delicious as always. Glad you were able to get the tree limbs taken care of. We always pay more when we feel they've underbid or even if they just give great service. It's just good karma. Enjoy your Sunday and I hope you have another wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and yes I feel productive. It makes me feel good to get stuff done. It only seems fair to pay someone a good wage for good work. I agree on the karma.
      Thanks I hope you a fantastic week.

      Delete
  6. Bit by bit, week by week, it all gets done. There was ~1.5" of rain. It's been cool, dry & things are slow to green up. Checked the perennial bed this morning to see some day lilies poking through the soil. Socializing this week with an afternoon of cards followed by supper; lunch with a friend home from her winter months in Costa Rica; visited my friend in hospital who broke her hip. Prepared for houseguests, then visited with other cousins during their 2 night visit. I didn't tell them until they left that there was bear poop in the yard this morning. Coming from the city, they worry about coyotes & bears. Advertised for the final Home Routes concert of the 2023/24 season scheduled for May 16th & had an organizational mtg with Home Routes admin via Zoom. Organized some plumbing repairs in the rental house. First visit to a greenhouse. We all left our wallets in the car! My cousin gifted me with 12 tomato plants they started in their new greenhouse. What a gift! I'll be babysitting them in the house for a month before risk of frost is over. In the kitchen: bbq chicken/bacon flatbread; borscht & hamburger soup from the freezer; roast chicken w/ root veg; trout & caesar salad; veg eggroll wrap w/ Thai peanut sauce; sorbet cream layered dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep bit by bit it all gets done. Love that you are seeing green and that things are finally popping up.
      What a busy week you had. Lots of visiting. Good for the soul! How wonderful on the tomato plants - wonderful gift.
      You sure keep busy with all your social activities. That is neat.
      Your meals sounds yummy.
      LOL - on the bear poo. It would scare me to have visiting bears, so I bet it would them too!!
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  7. Debby in Kansas USAMay 5, 2024 at 4:08 PM

    Hello Cheryl and all!

    I'll do a real post later, but I wanted to tell you about the water ripoff I saw today. We have a popular coffee place in our market so there is a little cafe area. I was waiting for hubs and noticed a basket of water bottles. Average size. 16 oz.? Price $2.65 each. But wait, you should be convinced to buy it because popular coffee house is *generously* donating 45¢ of every sale towards a non profit that connects water to poor countries without taps. I guess the other $2.20 *generously* goes into popular coffee house's' pocket. Who said kindness is dead?! 😂🤣😂🤣. I suppose they figure that if you're willing to pay $9 for a coffee, charity water is a bargain.

    My advice if you are so moved? Make a direct donation......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $9 coffee? 2.65 for water? Geesh both disgust me, let alone the rip of donating a WHOLE .45. People are amazing - I am sure there were some folks who fell for it.
      Yep - my decision about 99% of the time - donate direct!
      Have a great one!

      Delete
  8. Just stopping to check in. I've been dealing with some stomach issues this week, so didn't get a whole lot done. Just returned from a bridal shower for the son and future daughter-in-law of a long time friend. They had a beautiful celebration and served a lovely brunch buffet. It was good to meet new people and celebrate those who I've watched grow from childhood into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure hope you are feeling much better. Belly aches are the worst.
      I bet the shower was nice. Yes, it is always nice to celebrate things and meet new people. Glad you had a good time.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  9. Definitely getting into gardening mode here. Well, at least the buying of gardening items. Mainly flowers and such.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are warming up and getting to get into gardening. It won't be long. It sure make one feel good - lifts the mood.
      Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  10. It was a beautiful day to work in the gardens. You have been busy! I'm sure your place is one of the best groomed in the neighborhood. It you would pass along the tree trimmer's info, I would appreciate it. We have some limbs to come down and I'm nervous about the Farmer getting on a ladder with a chain saw.

    Chatty kitties are funny. When I talk to Erin on the phone, one of her kitties will try to get her attention with meowing. Her little girl kitty has a dainty little voice.

    See you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been beautiful. I like my yard to look nice. Many around here do - but some it is just the front they worry about. I want it all to look nice.
      I will def. check with Matt to see if he would come out that way! Ladders are scary for us all!
      Bitsy is a talker and is always telling me all about it!!!! Kitties are so funny.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a busy week for you, Cheryl. I love that the gentlemen wasn't going to charge much, $100 is great for all that he did. I love getting that stuff done as it makes the yard look so much better. I saw my first hummingbird last week too, he was circling the flowers in the grass, looking for nectar I suppose. I hope you have a blessed week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was busy, but that feels good. It really does make things look so much nicer and that feels good.
      YAY - it is that time of the year and those sweet little baby birds are hungry. They are just so cool to watch.
      Thanks - you have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  12. Cheryl,

    I also had a very busy week. Lots of brush hauling/burning, cleaning out the fire pit and then doing some more. Thinned and moved plants, mowing and just work, work, work! But it is done now and we can enjoy the results. Of course there is more to do but what I call the "framework" is done. I have done some planting, but will be doing more as we visit plant nurseries and garden centers. I seem to always be able to find more to do.
    Have a great week!
    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how much can be found to do! You did great. It sure does feel good when you can stand back and see your results. I like that "framework"!!! That is surely what it is. Never ending - but it brings joy. Always more to do!
      Have a great week.

      Delete