Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Moments and Memories

 Good morning all.  Hope this finds you all well.  It is a lovely morn here again.  Cool and bright.  It will start getting warmer today through the week.  Summer isn't done with us yet.  Tomatoes slowed during this cool, but I imagine more to ripen over the week.

Today is just a little thing about the moments in our lives that we remember and the memories we make.  I believe in making as many good memories as possible - with family and friends.  Your children, grands and even nieces and nephews will remember someday, and maybe smile.  That is what it is all about.  Share the memories you have and make new ones.  YOUR future depends on it!  As those memories are shared in the future, you will live on.
The meme is generally true.  There are some days that are relived and remembered often - unfortunately they may not be the 'good' kind.  I think many of us remember almost every moment of our worst days - when we lost someone.  I know I do.
But other than that, we remember moments.  We often remember an event, a gift, a meal, a view, etc.  Odds are we do not remember the entire day it happened, just those fun things.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours on the porch with a neighbor and one thing led to another.  I remembered a lot of things and told stories, and she did as well.  I think it made our afternoon, sharing just some fun memories. 

One thing I got to thinking about last evening was my mom's cooking.  I am getting into the mood for comfort food, and I remember so many of the yummy goodies she would make.
Her stew, biscuits, great baked goods, meat pie, stuffed peppers, roast and veggies, the best homemade noodles ever, etc.  I do not remember the day around those, but boy do I miss her cooking and her meals.
I do have her recipes on many things - but no matter how tasty they are - they don't match the memories.
I think we all do that.  Our memories can far exceed the actuality!  Our way of compensating, I think.
BUT, saying that - we need to pass those things on.  Write down those recipes and share them.

I remember a gift or two that stood out growing up, like getting my bike, but I do not remember the entire day.  Just the moment of seeing that bike.  
I remember getting asked for my hand in marriage, but I don't remember the whole day - just that crazy impulsive moment!  
I remember our wedding well (as small as it was), but I worked that day - and that is what I remember of the day leading up to the wedding!  I also remember it was very snowy!
MOMENTS

Write down memories of childhood, teen years, young married years - someday those stories will be all that is left.  I am glad mom did that - we do have those stories to pass on.  It really is pretty cool.
I think this blog, is kind of my story to leave.  I have shared so much over the years - and odds are it will be 'out there' for many years to come.  That is kind of cool.  I guess I still need to do something else, more permanent as well.
I want the memories I leave, to be fun and happy as much as possible.  I don't want people to be saddened by them - I want them to remember the good moments and times.  I want to bring a smile!

Write out those recipes, those stories and such - to leave for the future.
Always talk about those that are gone before us.  That way a part of them lives on every day.
Laugh, cry, share, and above all REMEMBER the fun times.
Make new memories for younger folks to have, and someday when they get older, they will be telling their grands as well.

Now is a good time to think about writing down those family recipes.  What a wonderful holiday gift that would be!  Pass on some of those heirlooms that are just stashed away.  Let someone else enjoy them.  Use your 'good' stuff - I mean what are you saving it for?  Use it, love it, and make memories.

Hope you all have a beautiful day today.
Smile and be happy!

25 comments:

  1. Many of the recipes I have come with so many memories. Those family recipes and memories are precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing the memories that are elicited by food! Family recipes are the best. Make sure to pass them on to your daughter!

      Delete
  2. Getting penny candy from my grandmother's candy case in her store is one memory multiplied so many times that is one memory now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making memories and using the 'good' stuff are so important. My brother made me a gorgeous cutting board when he was in high school that he gave me for Christmas. For many, many years I used it as a decoration in my kitchen. About 20 years ago I decided it was a waste not to use it for what is was made for. The other day when I was cleaning it I thought about how many veggies have been cut on that board and it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes. Use the gift! When my mom died we were going through her things and found some *hand made, hand woven* hand towels with a tag on them saying they'd been a wedding gift from her cousin who made them... but my mom never ever used them, they were pristine. How sad. Cousin would have been so disappointed, don't you think? I took that tag off and put those towels into the laundry so they would be part of *my* regular use. :)

      MaryB


      Delete
    2. Lori - that is pretty cool. Yep, how many items chopped on that board, and just the memory of him making it. Little things that make us smile.

      Delete
    3. Mary, that is sad isn't it? I am glad you have decided to use them - that is what they were gifted for.
      I have some dishes that were moms/grandmas - that I use now and then when I have company. Mom always kept them in the china cabinet, because they might get broke or chipped. I don't want that to happen wither, but I use them.
      She had pretty bath towels we had gifted her for years and never used. I took them when she passed, and after all these years I am still using!

      Delete
  4. My goodness, would you believe I spent last night looking through some old recipes of my grandmothers. That bought back some wonderful memories. Take care, Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timing! Isn't that something - it must be that time of year. I hope you use them and please pass them along to others! That is something to be shared.

      Delete
  5. Writing down the stories and memories is more I important than we realize. My parents and eldest sister have passed, and my remaining sister and I are often puzzled about details and wish we had the opportunity to ask them for the information. It leaves holes in our memory! When our son was born I asked the four grandparents to write their life story for him. Only my father did, and I have given a copy to his grandchildren. It is the story of being born in the ‘20s, living through the depression, serving in the war, and building a new life emigrating to Canada. So enlightening to how our parents held their values and their struggles to give us daughters a good life. And write names and dates on the back of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS so important. You are right - everyone deserves to know their heritage and it is difficult to trace as it is, and then you don't get the 'stories'.
      That is neat you asked that of the grands, sorry only one did it. It says so much about who we are, by their backgrounds. Priceless stories.
      YES, on the pictures. I have so many saved pictures, that I have no idea who they are. They are older pics, and no one is alive today to know who they are. Beautiful pics and they should be honored. I kept them even not knowing names, just because they are family.
      I love that there are others preserving the past.

      Delete
  6. "When I walk into my kitchen today, I am not alone. Whether we know it or not, none of us is. We bring fathers & mothers & kitchen tables & every meal we have ever eaten." - Molly Wizenberg from A Homemade Life.
    All those recipes are part of our legacy. The written memoir you speak of is called an ethical will. I learned of it in a writing group & followed the prompts to leave a written memoir for my grandkids. My mom passed peacefully on Aug 30 at the age of 91. Memories of her will live on in the kitchen & elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona, my mother also passed in Aug. (the 2nd) at the age of 91, and it occurred to me I should write down the family stories; my sister and I are the story keepers now. My condolences to you and your family.

      Thank you, Cheryl, for this post.

      Delete
    2. Sympathy on the loss of your mom. It sounds like "a good death", which is what all of us want for our loved ones and ourselves. She was fortunate.

      Your quote about the family in every kitchen is worth thinking about. :) I remember as a little child hating dinnertime, because I was a fussy eater and meals were a battlefield between my mom and me. Now I see dear daughter-in-law doing something similar and I really want to say: "Make the meals pleasant! They can be happy times for the family. He's not going to starve to death here! If he skips a meal, so what in the long run?"

      But it's not my kids, and not my circus.

      MaryB

      Delete
    3. Mona and anonymous - I am sorry to both of you for your loss of mom. That is so tough.
      I have never heard it called that before - I just know if we want the stories remembered they should be written down.
      Yes, we become the stories tellers and keepers at some point. Make sure they stick around for the next generation and those after that. It really is important.
      Again, my sympathies to you both.

      Delete
  7. This is a fabulous post! There are some things I don't want to remember but there are many that are good memories. I came from a generation who saved things back "for good". "What if you have to go in the hospital? You won't have anything nice to wear.". I have my mom's cookbooks and some handwritten recipes that she got from friends. There are even several she copied from my files. Persimmon pudding was one of my favorites. I went through the cookbooks I have and made notations in the front, where the book came from, how well used it was. In one I wrote, "Erin, your favorite soup as a child is on page so-and-so.". Alana makes Aunt Mary's yeast rolls and has done so for years. The girls all have my pumpkin roll recipe. Erin was a baby when I first made it, and she is 49.

    It is a gorgeous day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I remember mom saving things back as well. I try not to do that any more.
      Those cookbooks are gems. I have mom's from the late 30's early 40's. She wrote lots of notes in it. Vanilla rolled cookies - noted she used for sugar cookies. Another she added this instead of that. No wonder people can't match the taste - they used to switch things up!
      I love it, that we have such priceless items and can pass them to another. There are even little recipes mom kept from newspaper clippings or backs of cans that she made a lot.
      Just a joy.
      It is a beautiful day for sure.

      Delete
  8. I agree, the sad days stick with us, but memories are moments when an aroma (mom's cooking), or reminders of events of happy moments in our lives.
    I do have my mom's recipe box, and some I use, others not so much. She had a bad habit of listing a bunch of ingredients but no measurements or number. Trying to recreate those are hard especially when I can't find a similar recipe on the internet.
    Some memories relate to the time of year. I recall, in early September, mom cooked corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and baked apples with hamburger patties for dinner. It meant the beginning of fall for us and the corn and potatoes came fresh from the garden.
    Often, when my kids and I sit down to a holiday meal, we talk about our memories from the past holidays. We share some memories, others not so much.
    I've found that a funeral is an event when memories are most important. Sharing stories, not only about the person who passed, but childhood memories seems to be the norm. There usually is lots of laughter and some tears shed.
    I haven't thought about writing things down (though I suppose a blog does a bit of that) but I do know/hope that the time I spend with my grandson is creating memories that will last a lifetime for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad said that a proper sympathy note should cite some good memories. I found that to be very helpful advice as I didn't know what to say, everything seemed trite and meaningless. Bring up a good memory or two, and there is your note. :)

      MaryB

      Delete
    2. Oh smells - forgot about those. Home baked cookies, or the smell of the laundry just brought in from the line. Coming home from school in the winter and the windows were fogged - meant mom hung laundry inside to dry!
      Yep, certain foods for certain times. It sure is all fun to reminisce.
      You are so right about funerals. I think the stories help us all get through the day. The stories that make people laugh a little. The fun picture displays.
      You are making good memories with your grandson - he will remember those one day!

      Delete
  9. I just found your blog and must say this is probably one of my favourite posts I have ever read. I’m 55, with a 22 year old son and a 17 year old daughter and boy do they get sick of me talking about my younger days. I tell them about their grandad that passed before they were born. It is so important to tell our history. And that quote be Cesare i saw it a few years ago and tore it out and carry it in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, very glad you found your way here. I am pleased to have you. Second, thank you!
      I know they roll their eyes now, I did the same thing when I was young. It was ancient history to me.
      But as I got older, oh golly, I wish I had paid more attention. So many things I forgot, and my siblings forgot. Every time my older brother and sis and I get together, I learn new stories - after all these years!
      You just keep telling those stories - one day they will be glad to have them!!!!!

      Delete
  10. I have started my own memory keeping on my computer. It's getting harder for me to write, but I wish I could do it all handwritten. But, maybe typing is better. I just want my son to know the stories of our family. I had a great aunt and a 2nd cousin who did this for my daddy's side of the family and I absolutely treasure the writings they left behind. I have learned so much about my ancestors and just funny things that have happened through the years.

    ReplyDelete