- If you have partial cans of paint at home, try mixing colors together for a new color. It will sure be a custom color! Always mix latex with latex or oil with oil.
- Add 1/3 of a standard bottle of vanilla to a gallon of paint. You will not have that paint smell when using, and the small amount won't change the color.
- Add 1/3 cup of peanut butter to any crisp/crumble mix you use. Really jazzes up the flavor. Great in apple crisp
- Garden remains - if you are down to having a handful of fresh veggies from the garden - mix them together, blanch and freeze in one bag for soup starter. Ex: carrots, beans, turnip, squash, etc. The same can be done with any leftover veggies you have from your meals. Just put al the veggies in a container in the freezer, and then make soup with it! NEVER throw them out.
- Check your spices NOW. Winter and the holidays will be here quickly. Make sure you have all the herbs and spices that you will be needing for that holiday baking and cooking. **If you wait till you need it, the stores may be out (you probably aren't the only one that waited), the weather may be bad, or you may right in the middle of a recipe. Be prepared!!
- MIX salted peanuts and candy corn together in a bowl for a treat when you get a sweet tooth. The mixture tastes like eating a Pay Day candy bar. Both items can be purchased at dollar stores. YUMMO - I love this stuff!!!!!!!!!!
- Check with your local orchard to see IF they may let you go out and pick up the 'falls' for a lesser price. That would be the apples on the ground. They would be great for applesauce or making apple butter. IT CAN'T HURT TO ASK!
- If you are out driving and see a tree with apples, pears, etc. stop and ask if they want to get rid of them. Many people never use the fruit from trees in their yard (it was there when they moved in). Seems crazy to me, but there are people who just see fruit (or walnut) trees as a mess. Remember - ALWAYS ASK!
- For a cozy fall/winter look - drape a smaller quilt over the back and arm of the couch. It will also be handy for naps!!
- Use small crocks or glass/ceramic water pitchers to hold fall flower arrangements, whether fresh or silk. Just gives a fun rustic look.
Thought for the day: Don't forget to try new things and have fun with it! We only get ONE ride on this E ticket of life, make the most of it.