Sunday, January 10, 2016

Frugal Happenings 1/10

Good morning everyone!
Hope this finds you all well and happy.  I guess none of us won the PB lotto last night!  I know we didn't!!  Oh well, I am in no worse shape today than I was yesterday.

We finally got a couple days of sunshine this past week and some warmer temps.  We had rain and more rain yesterday and the day before, then temps dropped almost 30* overnight and we have cold weather, blowing and snow this morning!  We only got about an inch of snow, but it has ice and slush under it.  Oh well, it could have been worse and I plan on staying home - so no big deal!

I bought myself a new washing machine this week!!!!  WOOHOO!  It had been almost 4 weeks since I had done laundry.  I was so excited about the machine's delivery and the prospect of doing laundry.  I am not sure if it is a good or bad commentary of my life - how little it takes to make me happy!  LOL!  I am a happy girl with lots of clean clothes.
Nothing fancy - just a basic washer - hopefully it will last me many years.



On another positive note, G's brother is now in rehab!  That is such a good thing.  It sure has been a roller coaster of a holiday season for his health - but things are finally looking up. 

It's been a fairly quiet week here.  Here are a few of my fugal finds;
  • The orchard will be closing in a few weeks, so they are having their B1G1 sale on apples.  Doesn't matter what size bag - 5#, 10#, or half bushel.  I got 2 - 10# bags for the price of one.  We both love apples.  I still have a lot of applesauce and canned apples from canning last January (2015) - so it is doubtful if I will can any more.
  • I ran to the WM family market (just a grocery) and used my $30 gift card to buy more canned cat food to have on hand.  Got 60 cans for $0!!   I walked by the deli and saw 3 rotisserie cooked chickens marked down to 2.49 each.  I got all 3!  I couldn't buy a fresh chicken and bake it for that price.  I came home and cut them in half and in the freezer they went for quick meals.
  • I shopped around on the washer and found the one I got at Lowes.  I saved $50 on the price from another store (exact same washer).  Also got free delivery and installation, which would have cost me over $100 at the other store (Sears).
  • We have been eating a ton of leftovers remade into new things all week.  Once we got tired of them - in the freezer they went for another day.
  • I got 2 FREE magazines this week
  • I got an Aldi circular (not a regular ad), that contains 8 coupons - 4 for January and 4 for February - for $10 off $50 purchase.  I will never use them all - maybe one a month.  I will share them with family who didn't receive any.
  • I have been doing a lot of cleaning, organizing and de-cluttering this week.
That has been my so un-exciting week in a nutshell!  How did you spend your week?  Did you get any good deals?



I hope everyone stays warm and safe and healthy this week.
May the Lord continue to bless each and everyone of you.

6 comments:

  1. Cheryl, sounds like good deals all way round!
    What 2 magazines did you get Free?
    Glad to hear G's brother is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a free Mother Earth and a free Reminisce. I don't remember when or how I signed up for them though.
    Neither said 'gift from' - it just said free copy.
    I have enjoyed both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes mags are sent out as promos, you don't have to 'do' anything, just a marketing strategy on their part depending on your demographic (which is easy to get from the census data)

    those are two great magazines!

    my frugals were many, but best of all was getting back to baking on the weekend again, hope the bread and coffeecake turn out, in the oven ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY on the baking! I keep thinking about making some bread.
      Good to know on the mags. I have taken them before - so maybe a way to woo me back

      Delete
  4. I have a Whirlpool washer too. Looks just like that one. So far so good with it! It is cold here too but we didn't get much snow or ice. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know on the washer. Funny Maytag, Kenmore and Whirlpool are all the same manufacturer now. So it should be good, plus it is made in USA

      Delete