Monday, January 11, 2016

PLAIN Knowledge Part 2

Today we will be talking about thrift - both stores and ways.

The Amish are a very thrifty lot of people.  They work hard, save a lot, and only spend on what is necessary.  Why save a lot - if you don't need much?  Well, there comes emergencies and rainy days in all cultures.  We just never know when those will be.
I like to think about thrifty ways and saving as just being a good steward of your money.

The Amish buy a lot in bulk.  Granted they cook from scratch always - but they do a tremendous amount of baking, have big families and get together's, and still need important things like TP and some cleaning items.  Gardening and farm animals can't fulfill all their needs.

They buy sugar, flour, rice, etc. in bulk and divide it into smaller containers at home.
Bulk is great if it is truly something that you will use a lot.  A gallon of olives is wonderful - but if you won't eat them in a reasonable time, they aren't worth buying.  ALWAYS check unit prices as well.  Some items are cheaper with sales and maybe coupons at regular stores than at the bulk stores.
If you buy in bulk - perhaps you have someone that can go in with you and split the item, thus each spending a little less, and less chance of something spoiling.
Bulk is not ALWAYS cheaper.

Thrift stores are a huge friend to the Amish as well.  They buy a lot of games, puzzles, shoes, bedding, dishes, towels, coats, etc. there.  Many times they can buy shirts for their menfolk or coats and re-make them to fit their standards.  It is often much cheaper than buying the material.
I currently have several items I have kept that I will be remaking into new items this winter.
You can get GOOD QUALITY for a cheaper price in many instances.
The Amish love a good yard sale as well, and definitely believe in dickering on price.  ME TOO!

A good thing to remember is that new DOESN'T necessarily mean good.  Many quality items can be purchased at thrift or second hand stores.
Happiness is NOT material.  Just look at all the wealthy entertainers and famous folks who divorce, do drugs and alcohol or commit suicide.  If money made one happy - they should be on top of the world.

It doesn't matter if your watch is $8 or $800.  It doesn't matter if you live in a tiny home or a McMansion.  It doesn't matter if your clothes are brand name from a fancy store or thrift store.  It doesn't matter if your wine is box or $1,000/bottle.  One thing is for certain - NO ONE GETS OUT OF THIS ALIVE and NO ONE GETS TO TAKE IT ALL WITH THEM!!!!  Basically we all get the same size hole in the ground.

A lot of people think that second hand clothes have the EEEWWWW factor!  Well, a good laundering and some hot water should take that away.  When you buy something brand new at the store, you have no idea how many times something has been tried on, nor by who.  What's the difference?  I would much rather let someone else spend a lot of money on an item and realize it didn't fit or they didn't like it - then I can spend a tiny bit and be tickled!
Last fall I bought a brand king size quilt at thrift for $20 - it would have cost well over a $100 new.  I also got a Croft and Barrow cardigan (brand new) for $3 at the 'GW Boutique'.  The sales tag was still on it, and it was $44.99.  I got a couple pair a brand name jeans for $6 each - new they would have been at least $40 each. 
**The last time I was in GW - a driver dropped off 2 Amish women and their kids.  The closest Amish live between 50-60 miles from here.  We spoke, as one had a new baby that was precious.  I so wanted to ask why they were so far from home - but thought it would rude.**

I am not TO PROUD to save my money and spend less on items I like or need.  Is it my Amish heritage or is it just good common sense?  I like to think a little of both.


In so many respects the Amish or no different than us English.   They want to get the most for their money.  They want to spend as little as possible.  They want to save for the future.  They want to be good stewards of their money and this land.  They want to provide for their families and love them.

No we aren't so different.
I think we have much in common.  I also think we have much we could teach and learn from each other.

Do you shop in bulk?  Do you like the second hand "boutiques"?  Let us know some of your good finds.

6 comments:

  1. wise words, Cheryl!

    I have found many nice items at the Goodwill and St Vincent de Paul thrift stores. I definitely believe that washing and sanitizing is necessary, there are many many skin diseases out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Ellen. But I always wash anything I have bought new also.
    I have a bag of old clothing that I'm planning on repurposing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals. I agree, I wash everything I get regardless of where it's bought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not too proud to wear hand me downs or thrift store buys and should look more often. But I don't have a lot of patience looking through clothes either in a regular store or a thrift store. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thrift store is always very crowded, especially on senior discount day! That sort of makes it hard for me too. BUT if I remember how much money I am saving, and that it is probably worth more than the time I spend there (figuring on an hourly rate based on my current job), then I might be able to work past my reluctance!

    Has anyone else seen the neat ways that clothes are being remade into something new? Pinterest has some bright ideas, I especially like the ones that make shirts a little bigger with insets. I have gaposis on some of my blouses and would need to do this to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete