Sunday, January 24, 2016

Frugal Happenings 1/24

Good morning my lovelies!  I hope this finds everyone safe and healthy.
I have been praying for all the folks East of here that are braving the blizzard and heavy snow fall.  WOW!  I hope none of you are too badly affected by this.  We got nothing from this storm system except a little wind - thank goodness.

We have some very frigid cold this week (car not starting cold), we had snow, wind, and some sunshine.  Temperatures are going up a tiny bit today, and then into upper 30's and low 40's this week.  We have been very blessed in this part of the country.  Winter has been relatively mild here.  Last year we got blasted with snow - so hopefully we get a reprieve this winter.  Heck, spring is LESS than 60 days away!!!

This has been a VERY quiet week here on the home front.  I only left the property on one day.  I guess I have been 'nesting'!  I did a lot of cooking which we have thoroughly enjoyed.

This week we had leftover meatloaf, homemade chicken tenders, fried green tomatoes, dirty rice with leftover meatloaf crumbled in it, home canned cabbage soup with added garlic noodles, pancakes for dinner, homemade lasagna - 2X, leftover soup with new stuff added,  raspberry crescents and homemade butter cake.

This was a tube of crescent rolls and some raspberry pie filling.  Loaded them up, folded them over and baked.  Tasted just like raspberry pie!  Maybe not the prettiest things, but they sure were tasty.
Homemade lasagna.  All I can say is YUM!!!!!!
Butter cake.  It has always been one of my favorites.  Mom used to make butter cake as shortcake.  I just love the taste and texture.  We have had it with raspberry topping and with chocolate syrup.  Still some left.   Mmmmmmm.

  • I took one day to run errands for the in-laws.  Went to the grocery for mother-in-law and visited brother-in-law.
  • Free exercise with shoveling snow again
  • I needed no groceries this week at all.
  • I stopped at the library and got a book on DIY Pantry recipes.
  • Did a craft/sewing project for G.  Made a wrist rest/ organizer for his computer table.  Just used some soft gray fleece we had here.
  • Spent NO money!
  • Used up some old groceries in the squirrel cookies (which they are enjoying)
Today we will be enjoying take-out from the Outback for FREE!!!!  I will be using one of the gift cards we got at Christmas.  G loves the Outback (me too) and this is to celebrate  30 years of marriage today!!!  It doesn't seem that long, but 30 years IS a long time.

As you can see it was quiet here.  I have been enjoying cooking some things that I don't often fix.  I may do that again this coming week too.  I have just been trying to get creative with what we have on hand.  Sometimes I just get bored fixing the same old stuff!

What was your week like? 
Blessings and frugal wishes for your coming week.
God bless.





19 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you and Glen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie. I realized today, we have spent half of our lives together!

      Delete
  2. All your cooking looks yummy.
    I get bored cooking the same things too.
    I have chicken bones in the crockpot, going to make soup with the broth later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to always go to the same meals - decided to shake it up a little. Soup always sounds good.

      Delete
    2. Happy Anniversary Cheryl and Glen!

      Will you post the butter cake recipe, or is it a standard one to be found in cookbooks?

      this weekend I avoided the snow by traveling by train around the storm (friday afternoon before the snow fell and sunday afternoon afterwards). ... It was a sight to see the train snow plowing its way down the track with snow flying out and up to the windows in my car, three cars back from the engine's plow!

      Delete
    3. It was also a very frugal weekend...taught my daughter how to cut out a sewing pattern, layout and cut the fabric, sew on her (new) sewing machine...it was twelve hours of blizzarding outside and sewing inside but we finished at two in the morning...what was even more fun was getting pics from our daughter/sister in California, she was also sewing with a friend and she sent a pic of a white skirt she made

      Delete
    4. My daughter showed me how to make Indian cheese for paneer...so simple and so easy and so fresh and good...boil a quart of water in a saucepan, stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice, let the curds form, drain off the whey using a cheesecloth in a strainer set over a bowl. Squeeze out the cheesecloth and pat the cheese curds into a disk, keep wrapped and set in fridge on a plate with a weight on top (like a bowl with a can set inside it. Chill and serve.

      Delete
    5. We ate loads of soups with kale and root vegetables, beans, and pasta, only using a little bit of bacon for added flavoring

      very frugal, very delicious, wonderful in this weather

      Delete
    6. the word water should be whole milk in the cheesemaking description above

      Delete
    7. Thanks Ellen. Yes, I will get that recipe out for you.
      So glad you had a fun weekend. Sounds like a blast. I have always liked watching the snow trains on TV - that would be a sight to see!!!

      Did you get a lot of snow at home?

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary and many more!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the snowstorm Saturday, so we had no plans to drive anywhere. That alone saves money. Snow removal was a task at hand and then kids went sledding being they finally had enough snow to do so. Made homemade pizza which the kids devoured with their hot chocolate. Children were due for haircuts, so my husband set up the stool and cut their hair. Nice thing about it was that we did not have to go out in the storm to get them done and it saves a lot of money. He cut mine last month, so I am not due until next month for him to trim mine. So no high priced salon visits for this frugal lady. While the kid's clothing was drying out, they watched a Netflix movie, we ditched cable TV about three years ago so it is antenna TV (23 local channels) and Netflix. And there is more than enough content on other channels on the Roku as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keri. Sorry about the snow - but it sounds like the kids loved it!
      I cut G's and my hair , and have for years. I can't begin to guess how much money we have saved over the years.
      Sounds like you had a nice pantry to keep you happy at home. I adore homemade pizza. Definitely better than any store bought.

      We are trying Netflix for a month and there seems to be a lot we like.
      Glad you came to visit!!!

      Delete
    2. The money savings are huge. At first my mom was very unhappy that my guy was cutting my hair for me, she was raised to believe women went to the salon to have their hair done, and she always went back to the same place, despite the bad haircuts. When we starting cutting the children's hair, her first response was how good they looked, after a couple really bad haircuts at the barbers. When I told her we did them at home, she was really supportive and calculated our savings as a really smart move. Two haircuts each month at $30, tip and transportation costs is $55 for the boys, mine at $55 every other month, tip & transportation is $75. That is over $1100 a year not spent. When I started seeing too many grays, my husband added colorist to his duties. I went with henna as it is free of toxic chemicals that not only destroy your hair, but cause cancer. I have sensitive skin and allergies, so I couldn't just go with the box or salon dyes. Henna costs me about $35 a year. My neighbor stopped over when I was getting a trim and my henna application,she told us she pays $150 every six weeks for a cut and color, plus the wait time and wasting a morning or afternoon in the salon. And if she gets highlights, it is over $200. And even after paying such insane prices, I have seen her with some bad haircuts and color jobs. So I would say getting it done at home is the financially smart move. For the two of you, plus children, I would say you have saved over $10,000 over the years. Well worth the effort. And frankly I am much happier with quality of my boys' haircuts and mine has never looked better, ZERO bad haircuts since I fired the salon.

      Delete
  5. We had the snowstorm Saturday, so we had no plans to drive anywhere. That alone saves money. Snow removal was a task at hand and then kids went sledding being they finally had enough snow to do so. Made homemade pizza which the kids devoured with their hot chocolate. Children were due for haircuts, so my husband set up the stool and cut their hair. Nice thing about it was that we did not have to go out in the storm to get them done and it saves a lot of money. He cut mine last month, so I am not due until next month for him to trim mine. So no high priced salon visits for this frugal lady. While the kid's clothing was drying out, they watched a Netflix movie, we ditched cable TV about three years ago so it is antenna TV (23 local channels) and Netflix. And there is more than enough content on other channels on the Roku as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was curious Keri, do you have internet and is it linked to your cell phone provider or cable provider? We are thinking of going the antenna and hulu/netflix/etc route too - just need to make the jump!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Internet only from the cable company. The roku connects to the Internet by wifi, there are hundreds of free channels of content on it as well.

    ReplyDelete