First, I'd like to say, I hope everyone remembers the true meaning of this holiday. The fallen and their families have given everything for us to remain free. There are not enough "thank you's" that can be offered. They are forever in my heart.
Secondly, you have all offered so much love and prayers for my brother - and I'd like you to know - each and everyday is so much better. He can say SOME words now, he is working hard to move his right leg himself (arm not yet), and he is now back to being able to eat soft foods. There is not a soul on this earth that could tell me that prayers don't work. They do and thank you all!!!!!! Each day is one closer to full recovery.
We went from chilly weather to down right hot weather almost over night. We are now in the 80's with a lot of humidity. I have had to use the AC a couple hours a day for the past few days. It just takes the humidity away - I can handle heat but not humidity.
I am FINALLY starting to see our hummingbirds a lot. What an absolute joy.
Today is the Indianapolis 500 race - a huge deal in our city! Today will be the first time in over 60 years that it will be televised LIVE in the city! G is looking forward to that. Usually we have to watch the delay filming at night - and I am not allowed to mention who won, as G always wants it to be a surprise! LOL
This week had a lot of little frugal happenings:
- Got the garden tilled (I did it) and ALL planted! Got the balance of the annuals planted, so all pots and hanging planters are done
- Used the Soda Stream several times this week to make bubbly water. I drink a lot of water when it's hot - but this helps even more
- Took all recycle to bins when out this week = stuff out of my house!
- Made 12 jars (1/2 pints - jelly jars) of peony jelly. It is so yummy
- Trimmed all the big bushes out back and mowed - some parts 2X - FREE exercise
- Saved the wax bag from a cereal box to re-use as wax paper
- Put out new cushions on the front porch glider that I got last fall on clearance. Waited till the squirrels finished pulling stuffing out of old ones for their nests! Little buggers
- Made a collage of family pictures for my brother Ron for his birthday. He loved it and the therapists loved it - the will be using it in speech therapy!
- Line dried laundry
- Stopped at Menards on the way home from hospital and bought 5 gallons of deck paint for our front ramp. Took advantage of a sale that ends tomorrow and a rebate of $35! Painting ourselves will save a ton of money, I will get some sun and some exercise (as will G).
- Stopped at the library and got a couple books
- Also stopped at Meijer on the way home - purchased 10 lbs. of ground Angus @1.99/lb. to replenish some in freezer. Got corn 6/$1, and cantaloupes 2/$5.
- Stopped at FM on Saturday morning and bought lettuce and more baby turnips. Cooked the turnip greens - YUM
- Making tea and filtering water
- All laundry has been done in cold water
- I have accumulated about 40 gallons of water in rain barrels to use on plants
- Only used AC a couple hours each day - still sleeping with windows open at night. Love my fresh air.
- Have had several vases of fresh cut peonies. Unfortunately that is over for another year. They are on their last leg now. Sad - as that is one of my favorite flowers!
I was a bad girl once again this week. After a 9 hour day working on the garden, there was no way I was going to cook. We ordered another pizza from the really great new place. It did give us each dinner for 2 nights and lunch on another day.
Now that the long days in the yard are over - it's back on the FRUGAL train! June will be a new start.
We had hotdogs along with veggies and dip and cheese strips one night for dinner. I made fish tacos another night. Pizza two nights. I cooked a small whole pork loin in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots. Leftover meat was turned into BBQ pulled pork. Had pulled pork sandwiches along with homemade cauliflower salad. Grilled burgers and had them with corn and turnip greens.
Treats have been ice cream and cantaloupe.
What did you do this week to save a dollar or two? Is your garden in?
Can't wait to hear from everyone.
Have a wonderful and blessed week my friends.
First off...great news on your brother! Praise God for answered prayers! :) Next, you hanging baskets look lovely. :) Good for you for all the saving that you have had this week. You've done well. And great job getting the garden all tilled and in. My hubby and I were working on that ourselves today. I still have to finish weeding the front garden and then I can get the pepper plants in there. I got the side garden weeded and the kale in there and weeded part of the from garden and got all the tomatoes in since we are finally out of danger for any frosts and the night time temps are heating up.ReplyDelete
It was funny a couple weeks ago we could have had frost too. Then it went straight to summer!Delete
I love that you have things planted all around.
I figure every little bit saved is a plus!
I so agree - Praise God.
Your jelly is so pretty! Is that for Christmas gifts? I love peonies but I don't have any. My, it has gotten hot here too. Wish there was a happy medium! NancyReplyDelete
Nancy some may be gifts.Delete
The taste is delightful. You get a very slight taste of that peony smell - if that makes sense.
Peonies are probably my favorite flower.
Yes we went from very chilly to hot! No in between. Have a good week.
Interesting on the peony jelly. I don't know how you remember everything you did all week. I do so many things that are just automatic. Do you write everything down as you do them. I guess I'm not that organized.ReplyDelete
We are having hot temps all week starting today!
Yep, the things I think will be important for blog I write down. There are lots of other things that I do daily that I don't write down.Delete
The jelly is yummy.
Supposed to be in 80's all week here, saying humidity should drop some - so that will be great.