I saw my first robins of the season this week, as well as the first red-winged blackbirds. That is a sure sign that spring is not too far away! Many lilies, daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, peonies and other plants are peeking through. It won't be long till we have pretty flowers again.
I went to a funeral this week of a former neighbor. It was nothing that I had expected! Theses people are good, sweet country folks. He was a simple man who never had even a pot to p*** in, but would do anything for you and give you his last dime. He always had a story to tell. He loved Dean Martin, and that was the only music being played - "everybody loves somebody"....... So MANY people got up to speak about his nature and generosity - it was really amazing. He was a fine testament to the theory of money does not make a man. I would love to be remembered so sweetly.
My frugal week:
- I went to the library and got a few goodies to read
- I drove around the library/park area for a few, checking out new changes to the neighborhood. Free entertainment
- Got to have the heat off and doors open for 2 or 3 days
- More spring cleaning
- Made more 'Panko like' bread crumbs
- Found some older pizza dough in freezer. Made dough-knots (little balls of dough). Placed a little oil on them and sprinkled with salt - then baked. They were a good snack dipped in pizza sauce.
- Made a faux crab salad with freezer crab and veggies on hand - YUM
- Have been using cabbage instead of lettuce for salads. WHY? It is what we have, it lasts longer, it tastes good, and it's more nutritional. Why not??
- Gave the indoor kitties pedi/manis! LOL - I trimmed their nails on back feet
- Cut G's and my hair
- Made slaw - a yummy treat
- Made dessert/breakfast bars from 2 packets of clearance cookie mixes (mixed 2 different ones together), and added nuts, more oats, dried fruit, applesauce, and a few chips. Baked in a 9 x 12 pan. They are so good!!!!!
- Cooled tea outdoors before refrigerating
- NO grocery shopping at all! (NO shopping of any sort)
- Saved another parmesan cheese shaker lid
- Using what I have and cooking at home
- Brought in my #3 size crock to use as a trash can in the bath. It looks cute.
Meals this week:
Chicken cordon bleu mini casserole (for 2), parmesan roasted asparagus
Crab salad on rolls and steamed asparagus
Chicken tenders, spicy rice and side salad
Unstuffed cabbage roll skillet
Baked fish, potato wedges and slaw
How was your week? What did you do to extend your budget or save money?
Did you get any good deals this week?
We can all use some new ideas!
I pray you are all safe and warm and in good health. Those in the path of the storms, please stay in until the roads are safe. May the Lord bless you in all His many ways this week.
Best wishes from our humble little home to yours!