It has been a warm week. Yes, we did go straight into summer. It has been in the 80's most of the week and will be the same all next week. We have had to use the AC some this week.
I am not complaining - please don't get that idea. I swore I wouldn't gripe after all the cold and wet we had this winter. So far, so good!
We saw a groundhog yesterday in the yard. The first time this season. UGH! It is a shame they can be so destructive, because they are really cute! Guess, I will be getting the live trap out, in case he hangs around.
You'd think we lived in the country with all the critters we see. It amazes me how many animals live in the city/suburbs!
My frugal week:
- I have kept 3 net bags from the veggies/fruit I have purchased in .99 bin at Kroger. I tear off the label on bottom, and I will use myself as re-usable produce bags at the store
- Lots and lots of yard work - FREE exercise
- Chopped and froze some celery that was getting older
- I picked 2 bouquets of lilacs from next door. No one living there till June - and I didn't want the lovely flowers to go to waste! OH the smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Cleaned out G's underwear drawers. Kept several old socks to use for Swifter and replaced many t-shirts with new that we had put back. Old ones will be cut up and used in some projects
- Was 'gifted' another gallon glass jar from a neighbor
- Made a dozen hard boiled eggs and made salad with them
- Ran to Kroger to check out clearance and markdowns - I found 2 Manager Closeouts that were great. I got 5 boxes (40 pieces ea.) of shrimp poppers for 1.74/box and I got 6 - 24 oz. cans of spaghetti sauce for .47/can (all they had left). I make my own spaghetti sauce, but these are nice to have around to help others. They also had canned cat food on sale - sale saved $1 per 20 cans, plus I had coupons.
- I received a coupon for a FREE box of Nice & Easy hair dye (value to 8.99) from a computer friend I have know for years from Iowa! How sweet
- Bought a new lawn mower to have as a second when other is down. I earned rewards at Ace and it actually cost me $70 less than the shelf tag stated! It was the last one of that type. I really like it, light weight and easy start! Just a basic mower - no bells and whistles.
- I stopped at a charity yard sale while out for the Kroger run. I got 2 - 3 picture frames (new) and a cookbook for .50 each. I got a bag of 5 oven mitts, 7 pot holders, 2 crochet top towels and a full apron for a total of $3. I don't need the pot holders - but I am going to make patchwork pieces to re-cover them and use for gifts. The towels are older but will be great for cleaning up messes.
- Did get to have windows open a lot this week - early mornings and late evenings
- Line dried all laundry
Meals this past week:
Leftover pasta salad and BBQ chicken wings
Egg salad sandwiches and fresh veggies
Breaded pork burgers, cauliflower steaks and a side salad
De-constructed cabbage roll skillet dinner
Shrimp poppers and homemade bean/corn salad
Mexican chicken grilled soft tacos
Crockpot pork chops and kraut and mashed potatoes
It sure has gotten pretty outside. There is suddenly a hundred colors of green every where, and bird calls that are so pretty and varied. Flowers are starting to bloom. Bees are buzzing around every where. I hope to get a lot of the flowers and garden done in the next week - in between rain storms!
How was your week? Did you get any great deals? How are your yards and gardens coming along?
Prayers for blessings large and small to you all in this coming week. Good health and happiness.
Blessings from our humble home to yours!