To any that have served or have had family serve - THANK YOU!
So many have paid the ultimate price over the years for our freedom. There is not enough thanks for that.
GOD BLESS THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES!!!!!!!
FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE
This has been a busy, busy week here on the home front. We had decent temps and humidity for a few days (it was still in 80's). Got to even have the AC off for a few days.
They predicted rain a lot - but most missed us. We did get a nice shower Saturday - it sure was needed.
Today is race day (500 race) here in the city. It will go down as one of the hottest on record. May has been setting all kinds of records with heat - supposed to be in 70's - but noooooo. Kind of makes me wonder what June will have to offer!
I managed to severely sprain my left thumb SOMEHOW this week. It happened early on in the week - but I have no clue how I did it. The pain has been almost unbearable at times - but doing much better today.
The groundhog made a second appearance this week. I got the live trap all set after seeing him - and no more hog! Maybe just seeing the trap keeps it away!!! LOL
We also got a new addition to our extended family yesterday. My great, great niece Laylah Grace was born. 8 lbs. of sweetness!
My frugal week:
- Got the garden tilled (by me) and the remainder of garden ALL planted!
- Trimmed all the shrubs out back. Even trimmed - they are still huge - they still come up to my shoulders - that was quite a job
- Cut grass and trimmed - did weeding
- Dug up 2 volunteer tomato plants and a big volunteer squash plant from the garden before tilling. Replanted them in different spots and they are doing well. Will be surprised with what they are!
- Froze leftovers from dinner one night to have later in enchiladas
- Made popcorn for snacks
- Picked several more bouquets of peonies. The house has smelled so lovely for the last 2 weeks. They are over now. At least the roses are starting to bloom!
- Line dried laundry
- Picked rhubarb
- Made a rhubarb and strawberry pie - YUMMO
- Made a nice chunky veggie/Italian dressing salad to last for a few days
- I utilized the 'very' hot teabags after brewing tea. I placed each bag on my thumb joint until it cooled. Thought maybe heat and tannins would help. IT DID! I went from nauseating pain on Saturday morning - to 90% better by bedtime. CRAZY!
- Got deals, deals, deals this week at the grocery stores. I spent more $$ than I have in ages, but I am so stocked up!!!!! Great prices at both Meijer and Kroger. It felt odd actually shopping the aisles - as I normally only buy clearance and fresh.
- Got all the normal stuff done too this week. House cleaning, thorough vacuuming, making tea, meals from scratch, made nectar for hummies, etc.
Fresh corn 8/$1
80/20 ground beef - 1.79/lb. Got 20 pounds
Pork rib racks - B1G1 - got 4 and saved $21
12 count ice cream sandwiches - .99/box
Chips - B2G3
Johnsonville Brats - 1.99 package
Club & Townhouse crackers .99/box
Pepsi - 4.88/24 pack (a real treat - I don't usually buy)
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce - .88/bottle
Needless to say I stocked up on set limits of each thing, except corn and watermelon. But I did get both. My freezers are filling up again, with all kinds of meat and goodies. I love sales!!!!!!!!!!!
Meals this past week:
BLT's and salad
Beef/potato burrito supreme
Mexican chicken over rice
Pizza - 2 X (1 pizza enough for 2 meals) (takeout - after yard work!)
Cheeseburger, corn on the cob and salad
Jalapeno smoked sausage, fried corn and veggie salad
Have you all gotten your gardens out?
Did you get to take advantage of any of the great sales this week?
How have you been staying on the frugal bandwagon?
Prayers for a safe and happy holiday for all. May the Lord bless you beyond measure in the coming week.
Stay cool and hydrated!
Blessing from our humble home to yours.