Sunday, September 9, 2018

Frugal Happenings 9/9

Good morning.  It is a chilly damp morning here in Indiana.  What a change.
We were exceptionally hot and humid the first part of the week - felt like breathing under water outside.
THEN rain came!!!!!  And came, and  came......  Finally the rain is to end today.  It is 60* right now with a high of 62* later today.  We have a promise of warmer temps in the week.  70's and 80's will return in a day or so.
We have had an  abundance of rain to say the least.

Friday our neighborhood looked like "a river ran through it"!  Water was rolling down the street.  Our back yard is still a lake.  The basement flooded for the first time in years!!!!!! (came through the drain).
UGH - I worked really hard with the shop vac and got up the water, now the dehumidifier is going as well as a fan.  It still smells damp (and is), but it will be OK is a day or two.  Nothing hurt as I keep anything important in totes or up.  Just a lot of work and a back that has been tightening up what feels like charley horses this weekend.  Could be worse.
Prayers for those in the path of the hurricanes coming in.  Stay safe.

I saw sparrows flocking to the squirrel feeder over the past couple days - staying dry inside.  They flocked to the front porch as well.  Poor babies - got tired of rain too. 
The hummingbirds have been more active than I have ever seen.  There are constantly birds at the feeders.  I got a couple thrills this week.  I have a feeder hanging about 3' outside the kitchen window - so great views.  I stood and watched a hummy preen itself.  How cool that was.  I had never seen that before.
They have been wanting out of the rain as well.  They sit on the feeders (under awnings) and they have been hanging out on the front porch this weekend too.  I hope you can see the baby in the picture.  They have been sitting for the longest times on the back of the chairs on the porch.

See it on the back of the chair?  They have been doing that all weekend on both chairs.  I took this through the door - so not the best pic.  So sweet.

I also changed out nectar this week and was hanging the one that is right above where that bird is sitting.  I had hold of the bottom and a bird flew up about 1 " from my hand and a couple inches from my face!!!!!  I could hear it's wings and could feel the breeze from them.  It hovered there for about 30 seconds.  I was beyond thrilled to be that close!!!!!

My frugal week:
  • Refilled sugar, sweetener, coffee and tea canisters from big pantry.  Also brought up beans and tomatoes to keep in upstairs pantry.
  • Made a batch of cookies from dough I had in the freezer - nice treat.  They were peppermint flavored - I added a half of a Kiss on top.
  • Got out and used some fall decorations.  Put the door decorations up and a few things inside.
  • Seemed one thing led to another - decorating means cleaning - then de-cluttering!  I was like this all week.  Walk in to do one thing and ended up doing 3.  I guess that was good - things getting done!
  • Starting to use those fall/inter scent candles and melts I have
  • I have 3 big boxes ready to go to donation.  Got rid of some shoes (while looking for a pair for an event), clothes, and odds and ends I haven't used in ages.
  • Laundry in cold and line dried first of week.
  • Made 8 breakfast sandwiches for freezer.  Croissants from freezer and sausage and eggs on hand.
  • Made ice cream
  • AC off for a few days
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • When refilling sugar - I got a bag from one of my tins.  It was wrapped in a grocery bag - when I opened it, there was a receipt dated 2005!  Yep, the sugar was purchased on clearance then for .50 and it was still perfect.  WOOHOO
  • Picked approx.  24 lbs. of produce from the garden - mainly tomatoes and cabbage.  Some peppers and cukes
  • NO GROCERY STORE AGAIN THIS WEEK!!!!!!!  Stayed home all week. (no gas used either)
  • All meals from home, and all the usual stuff

My meals last week:
Homemade pizza
Homemade sliders (like White Castle) and potato salad
Shrimp fried rice (from freezer) and homemade veggie lo-mein
Baked enchilada stuffed pasta
Chef salads
Homemade crab (faux) salad on leftover buns
Dirty rice with little smokies and sliced tomatoes
*All extras were used for lunches

This was the stuffed pasta - (finger in there to show size).  I didn't have big shells - so I used these.  Stuffed with taco seasoned meat/salsa/cheese combo

This is after baked with enchilada sauce and cheese on top.  It was very yummy
 
 
Going to make a big pot of hamburger/veggie soup today.  That sounds good on this cool day.  Gave G the option soup or chili - he wants soup.  I may make some beer bread as well.
 
How has your week been?  Did you stay frugal?  Did you get any good deals?  Prayers that you all stay safe and are well prepared in event of bad weather.
 
God bless you all and keep you safe and healthy.  Prayers for the farmers who are going to be facing many weather related obstacles.  Hoping they are able to salvage crops that are about to be harvested.
 
Blessings from our humble home to yours.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, You had a busy week! I guess i should start writing down everything that I do cause I always feel like I have done nothing! LOL But I know that's not true cause I'm always busy.

    Glad your basement is getting dried out and no damage to anything.

    I have some pasta shells for filling, I was going to give them away but your post has given me an idea to use them. I have some ricotta to use up so I'll make a kinda lasagne with them.

    Send some of that rain my way!
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie I wish I could send you the rain. It is still raining lightly. The Brickyard 400 Race was supposed to start already - but can't because of rain (I could care less - but know others like it).

      I think we stay much busier than we think. I do write things down - kind of journal. It is amazing when you look back at it.

      Lasagna would be great with big shells. I have had this pasta for ages - and figured I better use it. I still only used half.
      Take care and have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Oh the weather is changing fast Cheryl. Sorry for your basement flooding. I hope that will be the end of it for you. You definitely were kept busy this past week! Great job staying out of the grocery store. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the weather changed so quickly. It will be warm again.
      It didn't seem like I was that busy - but lots of little stuff.

      Figured I have food here, will use it, and save a few dollars.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  3. Oh those shells look good! Thanks for the idea. I have a son who can't eat cheese, but I think he would love those taco shells with enchilada sauce.
    Sorry about all of the flooding and your basement. I'm glad it wasn't worse, but I am sure it is exhausting with the shop vac and moving stuff. Hope your back feels better.
    We went to my cousin's daughter's wedding yesterday. She wanted a rustic outdoor wedding. Unfortunately we had rain, so it wasn't all that she dreamed, but it was beautiful between showers. And she is planning a honeymoon at the beach, but the east coast is expecting a hurricane. Poor girl.
    Hope you have a great week! Stay dry and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy oh my, that poor girl. I guess it will definitely make it one to talk about for years!

      The back is much better today, thank you. It is slowly drying out down there. What a pain.

      I hope you would enjoy the shells fixed a new way. I can't imagine no cheese - it's one of my favorite things!

      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  4. Wow sorry about the basement flood. Water can be so damaging and so much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pain - but it has happened before and we survived. Thanks.
      have a good one.

      Delete
  5. Oh no, I'm so sorry your basement flooded, Cheryl. What a mess to clean up. I hope your back is feeling better from all that work.

    Your meals look and sound delicious. The stuffed pasta looks especially good. I hope you have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinds - I am better and the basement is in good shape.
      We may not eat like everyone else - but we enjoy it!
      have a good one.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your back is feeling a little better! Mine was doing okay yesterday, but I mowed the lawn today, so I'm writing this while icing it. Fortunately, I have physical therapy tomorrow. :)

    Isn't this cooler weather amazing??? I wish it could stay like this all year long! It's supposed to go back up into the mid 80's by the end of this week, but then back into the 70's after that. Yay fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are most definitely on the 'fall' track of weather. It won't be long.
      Actually got chilly today! LOL

      Hope your back is ok. I am good.
      Blessings this week.

      Delete
  7. The pasta looks great. Now I am hungry and if I eat anything this late I will get heartburn.

    Our weather has been crazy too. It was 96 the other day and it was 68 today. I have been enjoying the cooler weather even though it keeps raining. I can't stand it when it goes in the 90's. I'm a wimp.

    My garden has been keeping me busy. I made more sauce so I made some pizzas with some of the sauce. I made hot sauce and pickles too.
    YD started back at school. Prepping in case the storm comes our way. I would rather be over prepared then under prepared. Hope everyone stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way - can't eat very late or no sleep.
      yes, the weather has been crazy. I heard yesterday that this weekend (in dates) is most commonly dry. Unusual to have so much rain. And rain it did!!!!

      I hope you are blessed and missed. I hope that storm turns and goes back to sea. Stay safe.

      Delete
  8. Reminds me of Rigatoni (with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella) we use to have when I lived in Illinois. Will be trying your hispanic style dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes kind of the same thing, only Mexican. It was good.
      I love new takes on old things.
      Blessings

      Delete
  9. Our weather is staying in the 90's here in FL, but it is changing some. I noticed the sun doesn't hit at the same angles it did even a week or so ago, and it isn't staying quite as hot for quite as long. Also, there seems to be a slight breeze which takes the edge off. I spent part of yesterday afternoon (after church) at Walmart. I was "wandering" down the vegetable aisle looking for water chestnuts of all things - I like "crunchies". Didn't find any, but did find Hanover veggies in 38 or 39 oz cans (Italian green beans, and sweet peas) for $1.25 for the green beans and $1 for the peas. Being single, I won't use those size cans all at one time, so when I open them to make soup or add to stew, I will divide into freezer bags, and label for later use. I also found Knorr onion bouillon cubes on clearance for $.75 a box (about 16 in each box). I opened and transferred each box to a glass jar with a silicon sealer to ensure they don't get moist from any humidity in the apartment. I was also adding to my little stockpile a 15 oz. can of mushroom pieces and stems. I bought 2 and added one right away to some potatoes and a pot roast that was on clearance. Cooked it right up and will have it as dinner for several days. I lived in my old house for almost 30 years, so finding places that I will remember where I put things is a little more difficult. I spent time (and wasted time is wasted money and energy) finding birthday cards that needed to be sent out today. Finally found them all, got them addressed and on their way this morning. By the end of this week I will be mailing out 8 winter hats to a family who is moving from Pensacola to Michigan. The hats are their "housewarming" gift. They will be hunting on their 10 acre property and I made hats in hunter orange, hopefully as much for safety as for warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stockpiling a little at a time is the way to go. Especially when there is just one - you want to watch what you get. I imagine it would be harder to find storage in an apt. I think yu do great.

      What a wonderful house warming gift. Boy are they in for a big surprise in weather!!!!!
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  10. The rain is a relief, I'm sure, but not in your basement! I'm glad you got it cleaned up, and I'm sure it's nice to have a clean basement. I got to do some unexpected cleaning this week as well. We made a quick camping trip, and when I got there, I opened the cupboard too quickly (I KNOW better) and some jars of home canning fell out. They had been jostled loose during the drive. 2 jars broke, and the 3rd lost it's lid. The floor was a mess of broken glass and scattered green beans and broth. Thankfully, nothing sticky, but glass was scattered far and wide, as were the beans. It was cleaned up thoroughly, and though I would never want that, it felt good to get the floor cleaner than it has been for a while.

    It sounds like your week was good, other than the flooding basement. The birds are really fun to look at, I'm sure. We have some here I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky camping sounds fun - but not that mess. So sorry that happened. I bet that was quite a mess to clean up.

      Clean always feels good. I am getting back to normal with the basement.
      I can't even imagine what people go through with real flooding. That is horrible to think about.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  11. My daughter and I took care of a hummingbird awhile back that our cat injured. The local shelter wasnt able to pick it up and take it to their wildlife rehab on a weekend so we kept it in her bedroom and fed it sugar water with an eyedropper- it would perch on our fingers for feedings. It's wing was injured so it couldn't fly, just hopped. We named it Spunkers. I brought in a small branch from the yard and it liked to perch on it when it wasnt on the move. Such a lovely bird, I never dreamed I would hold one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. Bless you both for helping it. They are just little flying jewels to me. So precious.
      I am amazed every day at their beauty.
      THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

      Delete