We were exceptionally hot and humid the first part of the week - felt like breathing under water outside.
THEN rain came!!!!! And came, and came...... Finally the rain is to end today. It is 60* right now with a high of 62* later today. We have a promise of warmer temps in the week. 70's and 80's will return in a day or so.
We have had an abundance of rain to say the least.
Friday our neighborhood looked like "a river ran through it"! Water was rolling down the street. Our back yard is still a lake. The basement flooded for the first time in years!!!!!! (came through the drain).
UGH - I worked really hard with the shop vac and got up the water, now the dehumidifier is going as well as a fan. It still smells damp (and is), but it will be OK is a day or two. Nothing hurt as I keep anything important in totes or up. Just a lot of work and a back that has been tightening up what feels like charley horses this weekend. Could be worse.
Prayers for those in the path of the hurricanes coming in. Stay safe.
I saw sparrows flocking to the squirrel feeder over the past couple days - staying dry inside. They flocked to the front porch as well. Poor babies - got tired of rain too.
The hummingbirds have been more active than I have ever seen. There are constantly birds at the feeders. I got a couple thrills this week. I have a feeder hanging about 3' outside the kitchen window - so great views. I stood and watched a hummy preen itself. How cool that was. I had never seen that before.
They have been wanting out of the rain as well. They sit on the feeders (under awnings) and they have been hanging out on the front porch this weekend too. I hope you can see the baby in the picture. They have been sitting for the longest times on the back of the chairs on the porch.
I also changed out nectar this week and was hanging the one that is right above where that bird is sitting. I had hold of the bottom and a bird flew up about 1 " from my hand and a couple inches from my face!!!!! I could hear it's wings and could feel the breeze from them. It hovered there for about 30 seconds. I was beyond thrilled to be that close!!!!!
My frugal week:
- Refilled sugar, sweetener, coffee and tea canisters from big pantry. Also brought up beans and tomatoes to keep in upstairs pantry.
- Made a batch of cookies from dough I had in the freezer - nice treat. They were peppermint flavored - I added a half of a Kiss on top.
- Got out and used some fall decorations. Put the door decorations up and a few things inside.
- Seemed one thing led to another - decorating means cleaning - then de-cluttering! I was like this all week. Walk in to do one thing and ended up doing 3. I guess that was good - things getting done!
- Starting to use those fall/inter scent candles and melts I have
- I have 3 big boxes ready to go to donation. Got rid of some shoes (while looking for a pair for an event), clothes, and odds and ends I haven't used in ages.
- Laundry in cold and line dried first of week.
- Made 8 breakfast sandwiches for freezer. Croissants from freezer and sausage and eggs on hand.
- Made ice cream
- AC off for a few days
- Hard boiled eggs
- When refilling sugar - I got a bag from one of my tins. It was wrapped in a grocery bag - when I opened it, there was a receipt dated 2005! Yep, the sugar was purchased on clearance then for .50 and it was still perfect. WOOHOO
- Picked approx. 24 lbs. of produce from the garden - mainly tomatoes and cabbage. Some peppers and cukes
- NO GROCERY STORE AGAIN THIS WEEK!!!!!!! Stayed home all week. (no gas used either)
- All meals from home, and all the usual stuff
My meals last week:
Homemade sliders (like White Castle) and potato salad
Shrimp fried rice (from freezer) and homemade veggie lo-mein
Baked enchilada stuffed pasta
Homemade crab (faux) salad on leftover buns
Dirty rice with little smokies and sliced tomatoes
*All extras were used for lunches
This was the stuffed pasta - (finger in there to show size). I didn't have big shells - so I used these. Stuffed with taco seasoned meat/salsa/cheese combo
This is after baked with enchilada sauce and cheese on top. It was very yummy
Going to make a big pot of hamburger/veggie soup today. That sounds good on this cool day. Gave G the option soup or chili - he wants soup. I may make some beer bread as well.
How has your week been? Did you stay frugal? Did you get any good deals? Prayers that you all stay safe and are well prepared in event of bad weather.
God bless you all and keep you safe and healthy. Prayers for the farmers who are going to be facing many weather related obstacles. Hoping they are able to salvage crops that are about to be harvested.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.