Sunday, September 2, 2018

Frugal Happenings 9/2

Happy September to all.  This is a long weekend for many in the U.S., with the Labor Day Holiday.  Hope you enjoy!  It is funny, once you retire, those long weekends are no longer something to get excited about.  They are all long weekends!!
There will be lots of people going to pools before they close and boating over the holidays - please stay safe!


We have had hot temps once again, and it looks as if the next week will continue to be around 90*.  The humidity came back and makes it feel much warmer.

I have been on a personal battle with gnats!!!!!  Geesh I just can't get rid of them.  I have my little gnat traps (vinegar and sugar) set, and do get many - but my best defense is just killing them.  I have smashed dozens a day!  I guess until summer veggies quit coming in the house I am doomed to continue smashing gnats! (sounds like a rock group - LOL)


My frugal week:
  • I harvested much less this week - but still harvesting.  I ended up with about 14 lbs. of produce
                                                          still getting pretty tomatoes
  • I canned 6 and 1/2 pints of spaghetti sauce
  • Laundry in cold and line dried
  • I ran to Meijer to get ground beef.  1.59/lb. - got 12 more pounds and froze. (I now have about 50 lbs. froze).
  • Got myself a new summery ankle length dress at Meijer for 40% off.  It is for an event I will be attending this month.  This is the FIRST brand new dress I have purchased in years - I usually go to thrift or yard sales.
  • Put back 24 single serving bottles of water this week (I'll talk about that later in the week)
  • Got lots of yard work done on the one day with no humidity!  Great free exercise.
  • Picked 3 more pounds of grapes
  • Getting Showtime FREE for 4 days this weekend - so recording lots of movies for later
  • Did run to feed store for 'critter' supplies.  I should be good for birds and squirrels well into October
  • Doing all the usual things

Meals this past week:
Pork roast, potatoes & carrots (in crockpot)
Pulled BBQ pork, fried potatoes and side salad
Goulash and sliced tomatoes
Fried chicken and salad
Chopped steak and a large salad
Coney dogs with cheese and potato salad
Fried pork chops & kraut and mashed potatoes

                                              Goulash - it's whatever you want it to be!

What have you been up to this past week?  How are the gardens and preserving going?
How have you been saving dollars?

My GOALS FOR SEPTEMBER are to stay away from the grocery stores as much as possible.  I really need nothing and I am very stocked up.  My only stock-up will be cat food again.
I want to get all my jelly and jams preserved.
I plan to do some deep fall cleaning and try to get prepared for the upcoming holidays.


I wish you all a safe, healthy and frugal week and month.  May you all be blessed beyond your dreams.

CHOOSE to smile.  CHOOSE to be kind.  CHOOSE to laugh and enjoy life.  CHOOSE to be the best you ever.  They are all choices and they will make you and others happy.

Blessings from our humble home to yours.

18 comments:

  1. Happy September! Yesterday was my brother's birthday he turned 62, such a baby. I wish I was 62 again!

    I've been getting those flies too. Been spraying them with a mixture I get from Melaleuca. It seems to work as I have no more, flies that is.
    We are getting lots of tomatoes, time to do some give away or canning.
    Our house maintenance has slowed down some as things are getting done. So it's time for some inside cleanup of books and things. Right now there are piles of things everywhere. Too much clutter.

    Blessing to you and G also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie you aren't that much past 62!

      Oh I hate them buggers. I have sprayed things - and nothing seems to help, except killing them.
      Glad you garden is doing well and things are slowing on the home front.

      There is always plenty of cleaning and de-cluttering to do. I can find no end to it!
      Have a wonderful eek my friend!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, Oh I hate those fruit flys they are a nuisance. Sounds like you are really getting the produce in -that's great. Wasn't that a great deal on the hamburger. I just finished cooking all mine. It will be so handy later on. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes quite the deal that I doubt we will ever see again!
      Those bugs are such a nuisance indeed!!!!

      ENJOY

      Delete
  3. Your Goulash looks delicious. Please share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Really no recipe for me - I just throw in what I want.
      I browned a pound of ground beef with chopped onion. Cooked 8 oz. of elbow mac al dente(or what you have) while meat is browning. Drain mac and add to pan with meat. I added a can of red beans (drained). Added a pint of my crushed tomatoes and some cheese when about heated through.
      Goulash is basically meat, tomatoes, and mac - maybe cheese.
      I have also made it with cream of mushroom soup instead of tomatoes.

      It's just a mix of whatever you have around!
      Hope that helps.
      Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  4. That is one nice looking tomato. I have been busy with my garden and canning. I made sauce, pickles and jam this week. So it is a good kind of busy. Have a safe Labor Day. We are going to our friend's house for a BBQ. My full list is here: https://mcoia.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-frugal-list-week-of-august-27-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been a busy girl. You will love it all this winter.
      Have fun at the BBQ. ENJOY

      Delete
  5. The goulash looks great and makes me even more excited for Fall and all the soups, stews, chili etc. that comes with that. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to chili and soup beans and stew! YUM
      I love those types of food.
      Have a lovely one!

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, I wanna go to your house for dinner this week! I just started my meal planning for the week. I looove kraut, but dear husband can't handle the smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we both love kraut. This was also kraut that I had canned - it is so much better than store bought.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  7. Every now and then, those gnats try to take over my kitchen. I have resorted to spraying insect spray on them, then I have to wipe down the area where I sprayed. I can usually thin them out pretty quickly that way. That tomato is gorgeous! You definitely have a green thumb. Fun that you found a new dress at such a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried wiping the counters and windows with spray - and they are still here. I look like a crazy women most of the time smacking and swatting at those little things!

      The garden has done well this year. I learned to garden from the best - my dad.

      I was thrilled to find the dress. I usually don't like anything the stores sell any more - but this was really pretty.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  8. Gnats are the worst. We are dealing with them here too. I have a fly strip up and a container of apple cider vinegar to draw them into a jar. The first good cold should get rid of them for us. I hope you have a nice Labor day, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a pain - just annoying!
      You enjoy your holiday as well.

      Delete
  9. Wow, gnats are the annoying buggers this year. I read all the comments and I can't believe how many of us are dealing with them. I had one in my art studio tonight. Probably flew in from the vent. I am like "Dude you need to leave."

    It was a quiet frugal week. It was my B-day last week. All I wanted to do was binge watch Supernatural that I got from the library and have homemade taco's. I love simple things.

    DH & I did check to make sure we are getting the right percentage of taxes taken out. That is a good reminder for everyone to check the IRS for that. It only took me five minutes. Probably would have been less if I was on my computer. I did it on my iPad. DH & I are good.
    New tax laws this year and IRS is encouraging everyone to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a frugal week and happy belated birthday!
      Good tip and reminder on the taxes. Now is definitely the time to make sure you have enough coming from checks. You can have adjustments made and hopefully avoid a large amount of taxes.

      Have a good week.

      Delete