You may even have the occasion that unplanned company stops by, and you need to throw something together fast.
I have a few tips on what to keep on hand and AVOID the trap of spending money on going out to eat.
- Have biscuit/baking mix on hand - store bought or homemade
- Flour tortillas - so many uses
- Seasoned bread crumbs
- Pizza dough mix or frozen pizza dough (you can make ahead of time)
- Perhaps a can or two of refrigerated biscuits/crescent rolls
- Various types of crackers
- Have yogurt on hand - good for many uses
- Frozen bagels, waffles, pancakes, English muffins, etc. (all can be homemade and frozen for quick meal choices)
- Pre-cooked bacon/sausage
- Quick oats - have many uses
- Cereal - has many uses
- Keep brownie/cookie/cake mixes on hand - (can be homemade mixes) for a quick fix
- Instant pudding and Jello
- Graham cracker pie crust
- A few canned pie fillings (can be home canned)
- Cream Cheese
- Bouillon's - different flavors
- A few packs of dry gravy/soup mixes (can be homemade)
- Bottled grated parmesan cheese
- Italian dressing - has many uses including marinating
- Lemon juice
- Garlic in a jar
- Salad dressings
- Shredded cheeses - (always have some in the freezer)
- Dehydrated onions
FRUIT - VEGGIES
- Canned beans - can be home canned
- Canned fruits - " " "
- Canned veggies " " "
- Canned tomatoes " "
- Dried fruit
- Frozen juice concentrates
- Canned mushrooms/hot peppers
- Frozen peppers/onions
- Canned tuna or chicken
- Cooked frozen chicken, ground beef, sausage
- Cooked frozen shrimp
- Sliced ham/turkey - always keep some on hand from when cooking a ham or turkey - sliced
- Frozen beef patties and/or hotdogs
- Assorted dry pasta
- No boil lasagna needles
SAUCES - SOUPS
- BBQ sauce or a quick recipe for homemade
- Canned chicken and beef broth
- A few cream of soups (or dry homemade mix)
- A couple gravy in a jar
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Spaghetti and/or pizza sauce (can be home canned)
- Salsa " " "
- Basic condiments - ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, relish
- Frozen veggie blends
- Seasoned rice mixes - store bought or home mixed
- Instant stuffing mix
- Seasoned pasta mixes
- Tortilla chips - or make your own
- Trail mix
- Mixed nuts
- Cookie/cake mixes
I am not speaking of this being the ONLY things you have in the pantry. We all know we need that
'deep' or long term pantry for hard times and the future.
These are just a few items that we should all have on have that will allow us to throw a quick and tasty meal together in no time.
Ready made essentials are just a blessing at times - and they are perfectly OK to have!!!! Not everything has to be from scratch!!
Anything that we can do to minimize the want/need to eat out saves us some change for our piggy banks. It is just nice to know that no matter how tired you are you can have a decent meal in minutes.
Toss an item from one area with one or two from another and WAHLAH you have a quick meal!!!
Here's to summer and speedy meals!