We have been having some cooler weather this week, but that is coming to an end for the upcoming week. We will be back to close to 90* this week and some rain. It seems that summer doesn't want to give up the fight.
The daylight hours just keep getting shorter and shorter. UGH! Supposedly we lose over another hour of daylight this month.
It appears the hummingbirds are getting ready to move on. The activity has dropped markedly. I am now down to 2 birds. So sad to see them go.
The darn racoons have been around a lot. They are cute - but I don't want them around. I took down all the corn that was growing (squirrel planted) and harvested it (for squirrels). The racoons just keep showing up to feast on it. I put the stalks and immature corn out by the alley - they can have at it out there. I just don't want them in the yard! I don't trust them.
All things are still green, although I do see bits of color starting here and there in the trees. I am still harvesting a few tomatoes, and my brothers garden is going gangbusters.
- My brother gave me a nice big bunch of fresh green beans (3 lbs.) and cherry tomatoes.
- I gave my SIL a big bag of paperback books
- Cooked all the beans up. Shared some with my neighbor and ate on them a couple times. Remainder went into the freezer for another day
- I froze leftover baked beans
- Did some fall decorating - doors and porch (with things I already had)
- Mowed and did a bunch of yard work.
- Picked several tomatoes
- Cleaning and re-arranging a bit - there is always so much to do
- I ended up with 400 gas points for Aug. from Kroger. That is .40 off per gallon of gas this month. I did not spend that much. I got 200 points free for doing 4 surveys and our local stores had coupons to double points each visit on certain days.
- I ran to the church thrift store to look around. I received FREE bread and bagels and got a new sweater for .99 (still had a partial tag on it).
This will look cute over a colored lightweight top
- I tried going to the area Goodwill again - I truly don't know why I try. So stinking expensive for thrift. Seemed like a lot of junk. Bought nothing at all.
- I received from family - 2 books, some thread, and a ceramic lighted Christmas tree (that I made years ago). One book was a hard copy of Complete Tightwad Gazette, the other was a book of hints and tips.
- Did lots more paperwork
- All normal things - drinking water, meals from scratch, AC off when possible, minimal lights, staying home a lot, etc.
Meals this past week:
Big salad of fresh garden veggie chunks (no lettuce) served with Ranch (meatless day)
Dbl. cheeseburger and baked beans
Chicken tenders and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers
Green beans, sliced tomatoes, and grilled ham & cheese sandwich
Fried smashed potatoes, green beans and sliced tomatoes (meatless day)
Cheesy/spicy zucchini and hominy skillet and chicken
Leftover beans, cheesy zuc./hominy, and sliced tomatoes (meatless day)
Zucchini/hominy - I sliced a zucchini, added a bit of onion, and a small drained can of hominy. Sautee till tender, added about 1/4 jar of homemade spicy salsa and topped with shredded cheese. Oh my this good.
Fried smashed potato - Microwaved one medium potato - cut in half lengthwise (when cooled a bit) and placed (cut side down) in a pan with a little oil. Smash down with egg turner. Fry each side until golden. Yum. Tastes like a thick fried potato - crunchy outside - soft inside.
How was your week? Did you get any deals? How are your gardens doing? Are you harvesting - canning - freezing?
I hope you all have a great new week. May you and your families be healthy and safe. Prayers for healing for all those that need it.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.