Happy Sunday to all. I hope this finds everyone safe and well.
All good here - except the heat is on AGAIN! Yes it is. We had a couple of really great days to start the week - nice and cool - then BOOM, back came the heat and humidity. This coming week is predicted to be some of the hottest of the season. UGH! Not a fan, but it isn't snowing and freezing, so I am good!
We have had an extremely dry 30+ days - some of the driest weather reported in decades. Thursday evening we got a chance of one of the very spotty downpours that happen around here. It rain almost 2" in a very short time. The ground sure drank it up. Friday we got a brief shower. So thankful for what we got - it was really needed and appreciated.
- I emptied and washed the canister set (Tupperware). I don't do that often and it needed a nice cleaning. I soaked and scoured the can opener as well. Just those little things that we do randomly!
- I got to have the AC OFF on Sunday and Monday - windows open and fresh air enjoyed!
- I dropped off the Blazer load of donations to the thrift store. It sure looked like everyone has been doing the same. The store was so packed full of product. They always get bread from area grocers and it is FREE to anyone who wants it (they had lots). I got a 6 pack of blueberry bagels and a 12 pack of hoagie buns all for FREE. Repackaged the buns and froze most.
- While out I ran up the road from thrift store to the feed store and got supplies. This is the only time I left the property this week!
- Doing all the normal stuff - deep vacuum, cleaning, continuing to declutter, laundry in cold, eating from home and using what I have
- Harvesting POUNDS of tomatoes. I haven't had such a good crop of tomatoes in many years. They are really producing and they are so pretty. I picked almost 50 pounds just this week.
- I canned 14 pints of salsa. I canned 7 pints of spaghetti sauce. I can use that for pizza sauce as well. Still more to do.
- I tried my hand at fermenting. I am anxious to see how it turns out. I have made kraut for years - but never tried anything else. From what I understand you can ferment about anything you want. I did some mixed veggies. We'll see - I will keep you posted.
- Dehydrated the tomato peels to grind for tomato powder
- I talked myself out of going to the store literally every day this week! I don't need anything - and if I went I would just spend. Talked myself down!!!
- Trimmed the straggly looking pieces on the back bushes
- I got a sweet tooth and wanted something different. I made myself some "ice milk" of sorts. I used frozen fruit, a can of evaporated milk, couple packs of Truvia, a splash of vanilla and s few ice cubes. Put it in the Ninja till smooth. YUM - It made about 8 cups worth. Enough for a few days of snacks. I made pineapple/banana!!!!!
My grapes are starting to get ready. I picked a few to taste this past week and my goodness they are good. I imagine I will be harvesting a lot in the next couple weeks! Grape jelly will be in the plan.
Tomatoes are still going strong - don't see any let up there for a while. My neighbors are sure enjoying eating "real" tomatoes as well!!!
Meals this past week:
Chopped beef burger with fried onions, sauteed zucchini and sliced tomato
Fried green tomato and bacon sandwich, chips
Homemade subway type sandwich (w/free buns)
Tomato/onion/zoodle salad and fried chicken legs (from freezer) made zucchini type 'noodles' strips
Bean/cheese burrito topped with salad
Chicken tender hoagie and sliced tomatoes
Tomato and bologna sandwich - YUM - a summer favorite for me!!!!
SNACKS - peanut butter on crackers, beef stick and cheese on crackers, blueberry bagels, ice milk
How has your week been? Any canning or freezing? Did you find any deals this week?
I love hearing from everyone. We sure do share ideas and support one another. I just love it.
I hope you are able to stay cool. Prayers for all in the areas that are having fires and dry weather and those in areas of flooding. So much diverse weather going on.
Prayers for everyone for health and safety. Stay safe, stay well.
Blessings from my humble little home to you and yours.
Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body,
Lord help us be kind and helpful to others. Help us spread positive words and not fear.