Thursday, July 7, 2022

Mixing It Up

 Today is just a couple 'recipes' for mixes to have and keep on our shelves all the time.  It is nice to be able to make up different items from scratch and to taste - and not to have to spend extra money.
These are all pretty simple and easy.

ONION SOUP MIX
3/4 C instant minced onion
4 Tsp. onion powder
1/3 C beef bouillon powder
1/4 tsp. celery seed, crushed
1/4 tsp. sugar
Mix and store in airtight container.
Use 2 Tbsp. mix to 1 C boiling water.  It tastes stronger than store bought onion soup mix, so you may use less to add flavor to things.
I love this stuff.  I get dried onions in big containers at Ollie's for a very decent price!

CREAM OF SOUP
2 C dry milk
1 1/4 C cornstarch OR 2 1/2 C flour
1/4 C dry chicken bouillon powder
2 Tbsp. dry onion flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. thyme (optional)
1 tsp. basil (optional)
Mix well and keep in airtight container.
IF made with cornstarch use 1/3 C mix to 1 1 /4 C water.
IF made with flour - 1/2 C mix to 1 1/4 C water
This is great casserole consistency.  For soup add more water to taste.
I keep this on hand all the time!

SEASONING SALT
8 Tbsp. salt
3 Tbsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. paprika
1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
Mix and store in airtight container.
This is complimentary to most store bought 'seasoning salt'.  You can add or tweak it in your own way to your taste.

DON'T FORGET now that garden time is here!!!!
When canning tomatoes or tomato products do NOT throw away your tomato skins!!!!!!  They are seasoning!!!!
Keep the skins and scraps and dehydrate. You can use a dehydrator or your oven at its lowest setting (mine is around 200*).  Dry until crisp.  Then you grind them up and keep in an airtight jar or bottle.
This makes great flavoring for all kinds of things.  I use often in soups and casseroles.  Great way to add tomato taste in dips.
I use a cheap coffee grinder to grind up. (think $1 at garage sale).  You can also use your blender.  Whatever you have that will grind it finely.


Just remember you can powder about anything to keep on hand for flavoring.  I DO keep 2 on these coffee grinders and one is marked HOT which I use for spicey and hot peppers.
You can make you own onion flakes or powder
You can dehydrate lettuce or any greens to add to soups, dips or smoothies
Peppers can be dehydrated and used in pieces or ground
Celery - do the same
I have even heard that people do this with peach skins or apple peels.  Dehydrate and powder.  Oh yum!  I have made jelly with these 2, but I need to try dehydrating and powdering.  I can think of all kinds of uses.

So waste not - want not!
Make your own with what you have in your pantry.  No added gunk - you know what is in your food and seasoning.  Get creative and make up your own mixes.
There are so many things we can mix up ourselves and keep on the shelf.

Have fun and get to mixing and dehydrating!!!!!!!



27 comments:

  1. Oh I need to make up that cream soup mix! I skip recipes that call for a can of soup-I rarely buy it.

    I don't skin tomatoes for anything I cook/freeze/can. It goes right in (fiber right?). I also don't skin fruits when I eat them. Never understood why people do that ;-)

    I started using this a few months ago. I use Brown Basmati Rice for better nutrition so it does take 45min instead of 20. I use a reusable 1/2c container instead of plastic bag and simply put it on top of the pint jar containing the rice/pasta. I keep 2 in my pantry all the time!

    https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Judys-Rice-Mix-9610007#directions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skin my tomatoes for salsa and spaghetti sauce - I guess I just like it smoother. My brother doesn't skin either.
      I have never skinned a peach in my life - I just wash off the fuzz. Lots of people do skin for canning. I only peel an apple for applesauce. Otherwise I eat.
      The rice sounds really good. I love that you are so big into using the best nutritional choices you can.
      Give the soup mix a try!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipes, Cheryl. I don't have a dehydrator, but I do have a recipe for homemade biscuit mix:
    4 cups all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil or shortening
    In a large bowl, combine all ingredients well using a fork to cut in the oil or shortening. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry cupboard. For those who like to prepare big batches, just double the recipe. Use just like you would store bought Bisquick.
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!!! Much appreciated. I need to be making up some of this soon. I am about out of Bisquick. Homemade is much better!!!

      Delete
  3. Debby in Kansas USAJuly 7, 2022 at 12:13 PM

    Mixes are the best. When my brother lived in an apt that was a converted Motel 6, he had little space and such. I made him microwave mixes and added that to a gift of microwave pots to cook in. He said it improved his cooking 100%. He got pretty creative.

    For one Christmas, I made up dip mixes for all our families. 5 each with little wooden spoons tucked in a strawberry basket with fabric. They were adorable and really inexpensive! With all the gatherings, I gave them at Thanksgiving so they'd have them handy. They liked those. I also made them muffin mixes in jars that I thought were cute and useful. I included mini muffin tins, paper liners, and the mix in a handmade bag. I got complaints from my in laws...."We have to make them ourselves?!". Seriously. My family wanted more lol.

    I use the mixes mentioned above heavily in the fall and winter. The onion mix is delicious with diced potatoes in the oven.
    Husband eats too many and then complains there aren't any leftovers for lunch, silly boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing all the mixes and things for the holidays. It is an ongoing request with my family.
      That is neat that it helped your brother so much.
      Some people just can't be happy!!!!!!! Guess you were supposed to bake them too!! LOL
      I totally use the onion for dips, added to breading/coatings, in soups, all kinds of things.

      Delete
  4. I've used that Cream Soup recipe for probably 30 years and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it. Thanks for the testimonial!!!!

      Delete
  5. I am axious to try the cream soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it! Nice to have on hand - can add veggies or whatever too.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to trying these out. Only mix I currently do is a waffle mix I use as we have waffles every weekend. I have never saved tomato peelings but this intrigues me...gotta give it a whirl!
    Oh, Cheryl...I fixed the zucchini/sausage/rice skillet. Big hit...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do waffles every weekend!
      It is really just another use of something we throw away.
      YAY - glad you liked it. It is a favorite of mine!

      Delete
  7. Need to make up some of that soup base! When cooking for one (cutting a recipe in half), I absolutely hate opening a can of "cream of" soup to use a scoop or two in a recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It sure does come in handy!!! You are welcome

      Delete
  8. Excellent tip on the tomato skins! Will have to remember that. I think I will make some baking mix as Bisquick has ingredients we avoid. Saw a YouTube video on preserving flour for long-term storage.

    Got a very brief shower this evening. We'll take what we get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato skins give extra flavor to things. Been using them for years.
      I need to make the baking mix as well.
      A few showers - but it is good. Yes, take what ever we can get. Sure is muggy this morning.

      Delete
  9. Thank you, this is great! One stop shop for mix recipes! Love it! And tried and tru too! I'm so going to do these, I'll modify them for gluten free etc. So great....Have a wonderful day! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep adding some from time to time.
      Glad you like them and yes, they can easily be modified to suit the maker!
      Have a good day.

      Delete
  10. I wanted to share my idea on mixes.
    When I am mixing up a recipe to bake like banana bread I will also make up 3-4 baggies of the recipe's dry ingredients. I write on the baggies the date and recipe name and list any wet ingredients needed. It's an easy way to stock up on mixes. I just use my regular recipes. I've done quick breads, waffle mix, French bread, cookies,etc.

    Years ago when I had a houseful I was making these up regularly and decided to include a mix for banana bread in a gift package for my mother-in-law. Then 18 months later we go visit her (a day's drive) and we walk into her house to the wonderful smell of banana bread. She had baked the mix 18 months later! LOL She hadn't made it before because she didn't want to eat it all herself. I didn't have the heart to tell her that if I'm in that situation I slice it up and put in the freezer so I can pull one out at a time.

    I love my mother-in-law. She is the sweetest and kindest person I know and I've learned so much from her. But she doesn't have the inclination we at this blog do to plan for the future. I'm sure she'd be overwhelmed at the sight of my storage. Though the news must be getting to her somewhat as she told me somewhat sheepishly the other day that she bought extra TP and an extra package of bacon! And wanted to know if I'd bought anything extra. I said yes without explaining my storage and that it seemed to make sense right now. I hope I reassured her that she was ok buying a little extra and not crazy!
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea on making up the bags when baking. Saves so much time.
      Isn't that something. Sweet lady has just not had to be in that situation. You would think at her age she would know those things are important. But how nice, she made 'your' goodies when you came!
      I love that you gently encourage her! Sweet.

      Delete
  11. Good recipes to have ready, cheap and fast so I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Mainly things we have on hand - just all mixed up and ready to go.

      Delete
  12. I use seasoning salt a great deal. Thanks for the recipe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. You can add others things if you desire.

      Delete
  13. To make these mixes, I will have to buy so many different things. But, I need to get away from cream of soups. I will make some up and still have the cans to use, but I can use them up gradually. I rarely use the cream of soups, but cringe every time I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I figured many people on here would have those ingredients on hand. I use cream of soup in some casseroles and sometimes to thicken up a big pot of soup.
      I usually have a few cans on hand - but only because I got them so cheaply. I prefer the mix.

      Delete
    2. For the onion soup mix, I have celery seed and sugar. That's about how much I have for the other recipe.

      Delete