Wednesday, July 20, 2022

My Mind Wonders!

 Happy Wednesday!  Today my mind is wondering - nothing specific.  Just a few observations to share.  Some days it doesn't take much to amuse me!!  Seems like it is the little things - there is that idea of simple joys again!!!!!

It is pretty this morning - going to get hot!!  I don't like the extreme heat - but not much I can do about it.  I know there are many places it is much hotter than it is here.  Heck we are supposed to get right about to a 100*F by Sunday.  Well 96* or 100* it is all about the same - so I guess we deal with it.  Maybe a little cooler next week.

I thought this was a neat statement.  This is true about everything in life.  Patience is a virtue!  Be patient and hopeful - it happens when it is supposed to.

I am again battling poison of some sort on my arms and a little on my face.  It happens every summer.  It may be from ivy, it may be from other plants.  The older I get, it seems I am allergic to most plants.  Tomato plants get me itchy bad!!!!!  I made a new pair of sock sleeves this week - from a pair of old socks that had holes.  Yeah, a little late - but better now than never!!!!!
At least they keep the stuff off my arms.  You know how you get that GREEN gunk from tomato plants?  That stuff is icky.  I remember as a kid, my mom getting so upset at dad.  He would come in and 'wash up' and then dry - and there was all that green stuff on her towels!!!!  Makes me wonder, did anyone every use tomato plants to dye things?  One would think you could!

My hat is essential in the hot sun as well.  I probably look the fool - but I don't care.  Little farmer Cheryl out in the garden working!  My mom had a hat almost identical to mine.  I truly am turning into my mom!
Don't worry what anyone thinks - you wear what helps you.  I keep the sun out of my face and eyes - even with sunglasses the hat works wonders.

I noticed over the weekend that the grandkids were visiting a couple doors down.  It was hot and these folks don't have a lot of frills.  They had probably a 2 and around 4-year-old out running around in their undies and there was a huge tote filled with water!  Their 'swimming hole' sure did bring lots of squeals and laughter from them.  They were having a ball - simple as it was.  Made me think back to being a kid and setting up the sprinkler and playing and playing for hours in it.  Sure did cool me down and it was fun!  Simple fun.

I have been noticing that I get very little mail anymore!  YAY.  I have only a handful of items that I pay - and the rest is junk mail.  Sometimes I go several days without anything.  The mailman walks the street every day - but I get little.  WOW, what a neat problem!

My zucchini seems to be slowing some.  My cucumbers are FINALLY getting a few cucumbers instead of just flowers.  I have picked only one regular tomato but have a few starting to turn!  I go out and get cherry tomatoes each morning and basil about every other day.  Things are growing and I LOVE IT!
That saying above sure makes sense with the garden.  Patience - it will happen in time!

I get a little bowl of cherry tomatoes each day and some opal basil pretty often.  Fresh tastes so darn good.   No matter what I pick - whether a lot or little - it is fresh and wonderful.  Sure tastes better than store bought stuff.  I love my 'grow'ceries!

I hope you each appreciate all the wonders in life - both big and small.  Stay cool and safe.  Make sure there is water outside for critters and pets.
Have a great day and I will see you tomorrow.  I am going out to pick!!!!!




24 comments:

  1. Good morning! I have one of those hats too. But I actually have about 10 hats all total people keep giving them to me, lol We don't get much mail either okay by me. Zucchini has slowed down some but I'm sure it will come back with a vengeance. We have lots of green tomatoes and Butch has been getting a few early girls for sandwiches. We are trying to stay out of the sun as much as possible in the afternoon. Trying to keep the house cool. have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy! The hats really do help shade the face and eyes. It is my only one - good to have spares. I have little zukes out there, so yeah, they will be back! Nice on the tomatoes. I am so anxious for the bigger ones to really get going. (so is the neighbor!) I am enjoying the cherry toms till then.
      It gets so stinking hot in the afternoon - good idea to stay in.
      Have a great one!

      Delete
  2. Stay cool out there! That extreme heat is no joke. Make sure you're hydrated! Your tomatoes look yummy. :) One of my tomato plants got squished last night when my swing fell over on it. I'm not hopeful it'll survive, but I guess we'll see.

    My zucchini are about the only thing doing really well this summer. It's been a strange one for gardening, that's for sure! Have a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shucks - hope your plant survives! It is an odd year - but things are finally getting going now. Just have some patience!
      Too much rain, no rain, cold late, extreme heat - yep, all kinds of weather events to affect things.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  3. My buttercrunch lettuce is going to seed, but still has a bunch of leaves on it, ready for harvest. I picked 3 cherry tomatoes this morning as I watered, the rest are small and still really green. I'm trying to leave my sole green pepper on the plant a little longer, in hopes that it will get a little larger, but I'm not hopeful. My red pepper plant keeps putting out flowers, but nothing is happening. Lucky for me, I noticed this morning that my closest store has heirloom tomatoes on sale this week for 0.99/lb. Thinking I might make some tomato bread or a tomato tart for dinner on Friday. Just some plain sliced tomatoes sound good right now. Must be time to start prepping some lunch. Stay cool and hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad for the lettuce to go to seed - but with this heat it makes sense. Lucky you have had it this long. Mine has never lasted into July. 3 cherries!!! Mmmmm.
      My cukes did the same thing - tons of flowers - now starting to get some cukes. Don't give up!
      That is a great price on heirloom tomatoes. Tomato bread sounds tasty. Used to get tomato bread at Panera years ago - loved it.
      Stay cool!

      Delete
  4. Good morning! I think past a certain age you no longer care what other people think (about how you look). There's a certain freedom in belonging to the "invisible" age group. But that might be just me.

    Someday, I hope to be able to "grow"-cery shop the way you do, Cheryl. Your herbs and produce look so delicious!

    You're right about patience, though. We have a 1/2 acre in the front of new build, loose, clay and rock soil. The back 1/2 acre remains natural. When microbursts from the monsoon happen, though, we've discovered rivers of water and mud trailing across our land and into a neighbor's property; there are no roots to hold the loose soil. No way to get roots established until we solve the drainage issues. So that's the goal for this summer. With time, patience and learning, we'll get there! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - don't like how I look - then don't look! Don't care.
      You will have 'grow'ceries next year!
      That will take some reading up on and maybe talk with some of the locals. You will get it figured out. Sure wouldn't want to amend the soil only to wash away. You will get there!!!!
      Have a nice one

      Delete
    2. Exactly, Cheryl. We've hired a local company (they're almost neighbors) to repair and build up our culvert and driveway. I'll see if they can give us any insights. My hope is to find a solution--or solutions--that aren't expensive and can be done without having to hire it out. The drive and dead tree hauling require professional help Fingers crossed.
      P.S. I think I need to find a straw hat so I can join the club!

      Delete
    3. You will get it all figured out. Prayers you can get it done cheaply.
      YES, join the club!!!!!

      Delete
    4. There's always room for a couple of pots on a deck! That's the only way I'm "allowed" to grow, due to Homeowners Association rules. I've got 2 pots of cherry tomatoes, one red pepper, one green pepper, one pickle cucumbers, and one chives, plus the back side of 5 bannister boxes (flowers on the "public" side) -- herbs, including basil x2, oregano x2, parsley x2, dill, butercrunch bibb lettuce x2, and swiss chard x6.

      Delete
    5. I think the rules they have are really silly. I would rather see garden than other stuff. You are doing good considering the restrictions.

      Delete
  5. I get very itchy in the garden and have to wear long sleeves. Have a hat just like that. All it takes is water to make kids have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is either long sleeves or my sock sleeves - either way I look nuts - but it is sure better than itching. Must be a popular hat!
      Heck give me a little water to splash on a hot day and I would be happy too!!!

      Delete
  6. I guess we're the Straw Hat Society, as I have one of those, too LOL! I wear my very dark sunglasses outside, too, even when I'm hanging laundry.
    My sock sleeves are a real lifesaver. Try Tecnu soap if you get into poison ivy. Follow the directions carefully. It removes and dries up the oil that causes the rash.
    Husband was on every sucker list out there, and I have worked hard to get him off of most of them. We don't get nearly the amount of mail we used to.
    I have 5 baby zukes and 6 baby cukes. One of the zuke plants has powdery mildew, so I am going to get out there tomorrow morning and spray it. Supposed to have heavy storms tonight, but it is 91F right now.
    Loved playing in the sprinkler when I was little. My sons would get in the bathtub with all their plastic boats and toys and could play for hours.
    By the way, when I read this post's title, I thought it said "My Mind WAnders!" and I thought, yep, mine, too!
    --Frances in the hot and muggy Trailer Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The straw hat society - I love it. I have to wear my sunglasses outside - with the cataracts the light really does a number on me.
      YAY on getting baby veggies - they will be big in no time. Gosh that is so neat - that we all get this yummy food walking out the door.
      Kids are pretty smart about staying cool - they have it figured out!
      Hot muggy is the phrase of the summer! Stay cool

      Delete
  7. Hey I have a hat almost exactly like that!!!! Must remember it when I go out to weed tomorrow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess maybe we should be called the straw hat society! LOL
      They sure do help when out in the sun.

      Delete
  8. Fresh from the garden is the best! We captured the opossum that was eating the tomatoes. The Urban Farmer bought a live trap a little larger than the one he already has. Surely with two traps we can catch the veggie thieves.

    Tomato gunk is difficult to clean off the hands and nails. I needed to tie up tomatoes yesterday and was going to wear disposable gloves and forgot. I hear someone describe tomatoes as having a tomcat smell.

    Today was extremely hot...at least to me. Alana went home to 108 in Dallas. It looks like next week will be a tad cooler with a chance for rain several days.

    Some days we don't get any mail, other days we get only junk.

    My youngest daughter flies back from NC tomorrow after visiting with her dad. I think she's ready to come home. I checked and 70 is open again. We'll come back through Plainfield and get some lunch. Her kitties will be glad to see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got that bugger. I have 3 size cages/traps. They seem to feel more comfortable going in the bigger ones. I sometimes kind of camouflage mine with greenery on top and sides.
      It was soooo hot and muggy. Today should be better - I will take a good day! I bet your daughter will be glad to be home in her own bed and with her babies.

      Delete
  9. Since I was little, I have broken out when anything green touches me. This has been over 70 years in my memory, 76 in reality since Mama told me stories about me and grass.

    I love straw hats, but the one like yours got destroyed. I do have a pretty, cheap, pink sunhat that I love. I wear what makes me comfortable, especially in my own home and yard, sometimes even away from the house.

    Just don't get too hot outdoors. Indoors, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being allergic is miserable - it curtails us from so many things.
      Pretty in pink!

      Delete
    2. How the heck did you hat get destroyed? Mine survives water and wind.

      Delete
  10. Agree about such little mail! I wish to save costs the government cut back on door to door service to every other day.

    ReplyDelete