Sunday, July 14, 2024

Weekly Wrap Up 7/14

 Happy Sunday to all.  Hoping this finds you all well and safe.  I sure hope those in the heat dome are finding ways to stay cool.  It is quite warm here, with extremely high humidity.  That is what bothers me the most.  Humidity numbers have been in the 70's - that is high.  It will remain uncomfortable until mid-week, then we are supposed to get a refreshing cooler period.

We had rain for a few days this week.  Somedays it was just a shower, but still rain!
The chickens returned a week or so ago - not sure if they had been pinned up or what.  Yesterday there was also a new chicken in town!  It isn't nearly as street savvy as the other 2, silly thing just about got hit yesterday morning.    I just wish they stayed home.
I told you about cabbage worms - well I took care of that problem, and the cabbage is heading very nicely.  This week I noticed a tomato plant looked off - geesh - nasty big tomato worms!!  I got 3 off the plants - can you see me shuddering?  Nasty.  I got them sprayed with a natural tomato spray and problem seems to be gone for now.  One thing after another.  But things are growing and getting bigger.

My frugal week:
  • I took 2 days to mow and trim the first of the week.  It needs it again, but it will wait for the cool down.
  • I cleaned a fence row between my house and the empty house
  • I went to P.O. to mail a card and got postage before the price increase 
  • Trying to use up things and not waste.  I had a couple older apples & a handful of cherries that went into dinner one day.  4 peaches and some old strawberries got used.  Half of jar of salsa used in cooking.
  • I have been filling, condensing containers and jars this week.  Prepping things ahead.
  • Used the air fryer when needed, not oven
  • Neighbors across had yard sales this week.  I got 18 vintage cloth napkins, 2 Christmas throw rugs (for door mats), 2 pretty towels, and a new looking shirt.  Also got a lot of votives and melts - everything for $8
  • I used the peaches and older strawberries together to make 3 quarts of sugar free ice milk
  • Store - to get melons for 1.99 each.  Got cantaloupe and watermelon and both are like candy sweet!  Corn .25 ear.  Found hickory smoked mild cheddar cheese on clearance for 1.20 for 8 oz.  Got the last 3 they had.  Not a lot else.
  • Gasoline purchased for first time in 6 weeks - paid 2.89/gal. with points
  • Cut flowers again this week
  • Just doing all the regular stuff
It was a good neighbor week - lots of visiting and talking.

Meals this past week:
Fried apples w/cherries and pancakes (from freezer)
Fried zucchini, cabbage patty and salad 
Chicken strips, home fries, corn
Lasagna (freezer), garlic toast and salad
Ital./pizza type burger fresh veggies
Taco pasta skillet, cukes & onions
Leftover pasta, corn on cob, and cukes & onions
SNACKS: sorbet, ice milk, popcorn
                                            Small pancakes with fried apples/cherries - oh yum!

When making fried zucchini, I had egg and breading left - so I shredded a little cabbage and mixed it all together and made a great cabbage patty.  Had a couple meatless days.

How was your week?  Did you get any good deals?  How are you stretching the things you already have?  How are those gardens doing with all the heat and/or rain?
Look forward to hearing from you all.

Have a wonderful week.  Stay safe and healthy.  Stay cool!
Blessings to you and yours from my humble little home.
*****************

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude.  Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Dear Lord, Today, sending up many, many prayers for our country and our leaders.  May all that are hurting be comforted and may the evil stop.  Prayers that we turn our country back to You.  Amen

30 comments:

  1. Very hot and humid here also, more rain again last night/early morning.
    So much evil going on and just staying home and praying that calm will prevail.
    I have had serval salads and meatless meals this week. For some reason, probably the heat, meat just doesn't sound good. I don't eat that much anyway.

    More rain expected tonight and then hopefully drier cooler weather for a minute.
    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning. We didn't get any rain over night - but some is supposedly coming this afternoon. It is now overcast.
      I like meat, but somedays it just doesn't fit! I think weather has a lot to do with it.
      Yes, so much evil. All we can do is pray and to be kind.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  2. This has been the best summer for fruit! Everything is sweet and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually hit or miss on melons - and haven't had a bad one yet this summer! They sure have been yummy.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
    2. Alas, my latest canteloup is not very good. :( Really distressing as it cost $4. I'll eat it, but it's not a patch on the earlier one I had.

      Must say the prices y'all mention are unheard of here, far as I can tell. Our corn is $1.25 per ear, and it's kinda old corn. The $4 melon was sale price. I'm eating less, because it is summer and hot, but because of cost my monthly grocery bill has not dropped.

      Still hoping for some Grow-ceries, but no luck yet. Neighbor girl gave me an *enormous* squash from the garden at her work. Not sure what to do with it, so big and hard. Seeds will surely be huge! Any ideas?

      MaryB

      Delete
    3. Sorry you got a bad melon. They have been really good around here so far.
      I go for the lost leaders and then see some clearance along the way. Not everything is that cheap - but I let you all know what I find, so that no one gives up hope!
      Big old hogger of a zucchini - grate for bread or muffins. Cut into chunks and make pickles. Great for grating and making relish. You can make faux pineapple to can.
      I'd grate it all up and probably either make relish or place in measured bags in the freezer. So many uses.
      You could also peel, remove seeds (they will be big), and cut in strips and batter and fry.
      Have a super week.

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much! I was thinking of grating it and freezing for winter cooking (bread and such) but had not thought of frying that way. Sounds like a winner to me. I often cut up the small ones in strips and saute with some garlic, salt, and pepper - makes a nice side dish. Was concerned the big ones would just not work out well.

      MaryB

      Delete
  3. Record 5 105+ consecutive days here on the Idaho desert. They are teasing us with 2 days under 100 (99 and 98) but I don't believe them. It was 78 at 0715 this morning. Ugh. It's getting worse every year. I wish more people would take saving our planet seriously. Climate change is REAL! And on that note....

    Happy Sunday ya'll. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang that is hot. So happy it isn't that bad here. Stay in and stay cool.
      Have a lovely and cool week ahead.

      Delete
    2. I'm in Idaho, too, but up north in the Panhandle. Our temps have been in the high 90s and low 100s. Hot, for sure! However, the humidity is low throughout the entire state, and that helps *a little.* Elle, I used to live in Lewiston where it was over 100F for about a month every summer. Very mild winters.

      Delete
    3. Lesser humidity would be better, but that is still hot. Hope you are finding ways to stay cool.
      Have a great one!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good week for you, Cheryl, despite the garden bugs. Those tomato horn worms are huge and gross. Glad you got some stamps before the rates kicked in higher. Your meals sound good, we had corn on the cob this week too. It's the perfect time of year for it when they're selling it on the street corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang old bugs. Those worms are soooooo gross. I had to wear gloves and then wrap them up and squish! ICK
      I love corn on the cob - it has been good this year. I wish they were selling it on my street corners!
      Have a special week.

      Delete
    2. Yes, those horn worms are Something Else! Huge! When we had chickens I tried to feed them the worms, and chickens all just walked around peering at them and clucking, so funny. ;)

      MaryB

      Delete
    3. They are big, nasty and UGLY! I still can't believe I removed them!

      Delete
  5. Goodness, I'd love to see food prices as low as yours. Watermelon was a heck of deal here for a small one for $4.99 each. Corn is at least a dollar a cob - I won't buy at that price. It was 55 cents per a month ago and I bought it then.
    Glad you caught the worms before they did more damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get some great summer prices when things are in season. I was surprised at the corn for .25 ear. Haven't seen that price in ages. I don't blame you - I would do without at a $1 cob.
      It is amazing how locale makes such a difference in prices.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  6. Excellent devotional! People need to return to the Father for things to turn around.

    You did good at the neighbor's yard sale. I haven't been to a yard sale in years. Always enjoyed them.

    More rain! Erin and I went to the Goodwill in Danville and it started raining on the way home, heavy at times. See you Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes, something has to change and a big one is faith.
      I have only gone to ones across the street now for several years. Haven't been tom any others.
      It absolutely poured here for a while. People actually stopped on the street, it was coming down so hard. It is done now!
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you did great at the neighbors' yard sale! Good on you! The humidity here (coastal NY) is still just terrible. Can't wait till it breaks. Seems like my veggies love it though; they have put on so much growth! Have a great week. Dee/NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a lot of goodies for the dollars! Humidity is the worst. It feels like walking outside and breathing in water, doesn't it?
      Horrible. So anxious for the middle of the week.
      Glad your veggies are doing good.
      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Cheryl. Hot, hot temps >30C here last week. There has been some respite at the end of the week & a few thunder showers. It's all about rodeo this past week with the Calgary Stampede. We have friends competing in the chuckwagon racing so it's very exciting. So in this heat, I come home to sit under the ceiling fan & watch it all on tv. Went to our local amateur rodeo where my young friend entered his boy in the mutton bustin'. Took supper to the neighbors one night; her husband passed away on July 4th. He was a very active community member right up until his illness at 87yrs. He was a great example & mentor to all. The grass was cut & that's about all outside other than vacuum the car. In the kitchen: taco salad, grilled trout, spatchcocked chicken on the bbq, potato salad, beet/orange/feta cheese salad, banana loaf. And July is half gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot, hot. Rodeo sounds fun. Oh, mutton bustin' too. Sounds like a neat time to watch. I would rather watch under the fan myself!
      Sorry for your loss of a neighbor. How nice he leaves behind a legacy.
      Your meals all sound yummy. Time is sure flying by.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  9. I despise tomato worms! I grow a ton of tomatoes so I naturally get a lot of worms. I pick them off, throw them to the ground, apologize to them and wish them well in the next world, and I stomp on them. My chickens won't eat them either. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time in years that I have seen any on my plants. Oh golly, they are gross. I don't blame the chickens - those things look intimidating. I couldn't touch - so used a paper towel - then a rock!
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  10. You are getting so much done! That's awesome. Glad you could visit with your neighbors. I miss that. When I was growing up, all the mamas would sit outside in the late afternoons and watch us kids play while they talked. Even the working mama! I sure wish we had community like that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty amazing that all this has really happened in the past year or so. We have all been neighbors for a long time - but have just gotten closer recently. I guess a lot of that had to do with the 'bad' neighbor! Give him credit for that.
      I wish there was more porch sitting happening today! It is nice.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  11. Cheryl, I love coming here and getting new ideas on how to use what I have. Putting all of your good advice to use in the kitchen today :) Thanks, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! That makes me feel good. I like 'playing' with my food and trying to re-invent things.
      Have a wonderful week and enjoy!

      Delete