Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Maybe Lower Expectations - Living Well on Less

 Happy Tuesday to all.  Hope this finds you all well and safe.
Very wet morning here.  It started raining/storming in the wee hours this morning - basically done now - but gloomy and wet out.  I haven't had to water for days - we just keep getting rain each day.  We are ready for a 'cold' front to come through tomorrow (and more rain).  It will be in the 70's and low 80's after that!  YAY!!

I have been watching some You Tube and reading some articles that just has me befuddled!  
People are saying that they need about $186,000 a year to live a comfortable life!!!!  WHAT?
Now I know location makes a big difference in the cost of things and the availability of things - but this seems outrageous.  (I would be way MORE than comfortable).
I am thinking people better figure it out quickly!  The economy isn't conducive to this!

Do people have too high of expectations? I think so.  The average household in America makes around $60,000 a year.  These are the people that think $168,000 would make life comfortable.  The higher the average income was, the more people thought they needed.  I just shake my head.

The more people make the more they spend, the more they want and then BOOM!  It all falls apart.  It only takes one thing to totally mess up THAT plan!
So many people today are VICTIMS of lifestyle!  Yes, they are.  Sure there are those that live a humble life, that have stuff happen as well - but so many have visions of grandeur in their heads and when a catastrophe happens - their bubble is popped.  Then they wonder what happened.

These items need to be remembered and practiced!

Needs and wants - many don't see a difference.  There is a HUGE difference.
It seems so many value things and money more than experiences and simple pleasures and lives.  I really do feel sorry for them.
So many want the latest new gadget and new app, the fancy big homes and cars, the nicest clothes, the fancy schools, etc.  Those things may be nice - but they mean nothing in the big scheme of things.

I guess I am not even average when it comes to all the above figures.  Now I clarify, I have a smaller PAID for home, a PAID for older vehicle that is still nice.  I have no debt - just basic stuff.  I live on about $1,000 a month!  Yes, I have property tax once a year (I pay at once, but it is low), I have property insurance once a year, and vehicle registration once a year, and car insurance 2X a year.  Add those all together - and that is only about $2,000 extra.  
I know it sounds low - but that is because I have an older vehicle and don't live in a high-income area. I live a simple life!   You know what?  I am fine with that!
P.S. - I do have a nice savings and investments - so no I am not destitute.

Could I live in a different area?  Yes.  Could I buy a fancy new car?  Yes.  Could I spend more a month?  For sure.
BUT I don't need to.  I am more than happy here and doing what I am doing.  I do without nothing - truly.  I live a very nice life.  I am comfortable and I am secure in knowing that I can do home maintenance or car maintenance, or pet maintenance or cover whatever I need in an emergency.

There is so much more to buy today than when we were growing up.  (Just in the area of tech and techy stuff - not to mention other stuff).  There are more ways to buy it and it is so easy!  THINK TWICE!  Seriously, if you want to get ahead and not feel tied down with debt - you have to stop and think and get a grip on things.
I know this is the start of Prime on Amazon.  If you are struggling - stay away from this temptation.  I have never once purchased something during this time and have no plans to.  Yes, I know I am weird!  I know people get great deals and good for them.  This is a warning for those with debt and that are struggling - not everyone.

Don't let lifestyle make you a victim.  Don't let keeping up with others make you a victim.
THINK!!  You can have a wonderful life with so much less.  You really can.  Many of us here can attest to that.  There is so much more to a happy life than stuff!
Be wise if you are trying to get it together.

We are here to help.
Have a lovely day to all.

27 comments:

  1. Cheryl,
    I never made 60K year, not even once.
    I also have never ordered on "prime" days. Truthfully the only time I even used that company was during covid lockdown. Even then I bought very little.
    We are hot and humid here also, more storms predicted for this evening. My property looks like a jungle but it will get mowed once it dries out.
    The heat has me inside a lot more than I would like but can't be helped. I am so thankful for my AC!
    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never made that here either! We may have come close, but that was together with 2 incomes. Much to be said about 'blue' collar!!!!
      It sure is growing like crazy here as well, but it will get taken care of in cooler days ahead! Yes, staying in the cool is where many need to be during these muggy days. Stay well!

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of people, especially the later generations, look at wants and needs very differently that we do. I've never been a very material person but I am even less so now and it really isn't about the money, it's that I don't want a lot of 'stuff' or to constantly 'upgrade' to the newest, bigger, better whatever. I'm very happy with my life just the way it is. The last few raises that I have gotten go straight to the savings account. I'm anxiously awaiting the cool front tomorrow. It's been SO hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you post - as I know there were lots of storms in that area. I guess maybe they do look at things differently - but I still think the latest gadget is a want!
      I have plenty of stuff that has accumulated, and need to continue de-cluttering there. Good for you on putting your raises back. Once we paid our home off - we did that as well. Makes great sense!
      Stay cool - it's on the way!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is expensive. Again, location has much to do with it.
    YES - I would love to be able to donate that kind of money - but for myself, there wouldn't be a need. I still donate now, but it would be nice to do more.
    Life can be so much simpler if we choose.
    Wonderful gift of today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! I've told people for years that I have a little life, and I LOVE it! I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you for always sharing your thoughts and wisdom. Lynn Ewing, Pecos, NM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like that - have a little life and love it! I truly don't think I would want mine any different either. More to spend on, more to take care, more to maintain and on and on....
      I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  5. I suspect your costs are very low, location definitely matters, as does the age of the individuals. When you were starting out, I would think your monthly expenses were higher (relative to your wages), especially with a mortgage payment, maintenance of car and home, and costs related to your employment. When I retired, I took into consideration that my expenses would decrease - no more parking, less for fuel and vehicle maintenance since I'd be driving less, etc.
    However, I do agree that expectations/wants are often beyond what is necessary. I blame HGTV and other networks that show idealized lifestyles that are unachievable for many. In addition, there doesn't appear to be much taught in schools (or even at home) about budgeting. My kids were taught (by me) that only after the mortgage/rent, groceries and bills have been paid, can you consider what you might be able to spend on fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, sort of. We never had a mortgage payment that one of us couldn't pay alone. I was married to a mechanic. I bought all my clothes at thrift stores for working. We both worked within 10 minutes of the house. For me, maintenance increases as we stay in one place longer. We have always been mindful of what was being spent and on what we spent it. Save and pay off. That is how we were raised.
      I think there should be some classes taught in schools. Parents need to take a big role in my opinion. They need to make sure kids know it took them years to have what they have and not to be expected overnight.
      I am just happy we didn't have grand visions when we got married. We wanted a nice, modest home and only after that was paid in full - did we ever buy a new car. It was paid off quickly. We just tried to stay humble.

      Delete
  6. I looked at a couple of things I normally buy on Amazon for the special Prime Day price, but nothing was low enough to make me buy it. LOL

    There ARE so many more things to buy these days that we don't need to have a good life. Great blog post, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most things I think about buying I end up talking myself out of!
      There are so many more things available today. It is mind boggling!

      Delete
  7. Your points are well taken and I can't even imagine having an income of $186k, just wow! But what I don't understand is why we keep hearing about high prices and how (middle class) people can't afford groceries, increases in utilities, insurance, etc. Yes, prices have increased, but if things are so terrible, how is it possible that the TSA is reporting one record day after another? Ridiculously priced concert tickets sell out in minutes, high priced sneakers and purses fly off the shelves yet lots of people loudly complain that they can't afford food or gas. Seems pretty obvious they can afford wants but not needs. More money will never solve their problems, setting priorities and learning to manage what they have is a better path, as your writings confirm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WANTS vs. needs! Boy, did you hit the nail on the head - I say that stuff all the time. People can afford all the things they want to enjoy - but forever complain about the basic to survive.
      Nope, more money will not solve the problem, it just creates more.
      Thanks - I so agree.

      Delete
  8. I know there are parts of the country where things are much more expensive. Taxes, insurance both car and house. Many don't cook or want to, and they add in ready made or eating out. It is just consumerism at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mam. Consumerism is sure directed at the wants in life.
      Yes, there are expensive places and cheaper places - but choices are choices - and people need to be responsible.

      Delete
  9. I was brought up in a frugal, non-materialistic way and so was my husband, so naturally that is the way that we raised our own children. My daughter's future husband comes from a family much better off than us and they are very conscious of having possessions that signal to everyone how wealthy they are. But, to our great surprise and delight, he is not at all like that. The two of them delight in bargain-hunting together, low-cost crafts and hobbies and cooking from scratch. It is great to see young people cutting their coat to fit their cloth and laying down firm foundations for their future life together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful is that! I am so glad he departed from the ways that he was raised with. Gladly he saw a better way and did fall for pressure.
      It is wonderful to see young people making a good future together and not getting themselves in over their heads.

      Delete
  10. That is a whole lotta money! Yikes, are they eating filet mignon every night? I was reading in James 4 today and he is admonishing the followers to stop fighting and wanting what someone else has. I am pretty sure there is a commandment (not to covet) to cover that. Personally I think that is what gets folks in financial trouble. Be content with what you have and be grateful. And stay away from Amazon Prime! ha!

    Couldn't believe the overnight rain! Looking forward to some cooler temps for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Yes indeed, do not covet. Religious or not, people should follow the commandments. They are just good tools to use in life.
      Love being content and being grateful.
      Looks like more rain coming overnight tonight as well! Yes mam, cooler temps will be more than welcome.

      Delete
  11. My daughter and I were talking about this the other day. She and her husband have a very comfortable income. She said to me I can buy an $8 box of cereal but I refuse to do it. She and her husband take seriously that they are to be good stewards of their blessings which they see as including having secure jobs with good incomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for them. There is so much to be said about being a good steward of everything! Yes, we may be able to waste money in many ways, but someday that bubble could burst - and it sure helps to know how to live a simpler way.

      Delete
  12. Ever since I saw that number I have tried to figure out how in the world I could spend s much in a year but I would love to give it away to my favorite charities for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be something? I would love to help with that kind of $$ too. So much good could be done. Yet others just think of themselves and their wants :(

      Delete
  13. Even people who are well-set should stay away from spending too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Being a good steward of our funds and things is important.

      Delete
  14. I was in a Belk's in my town shopping for a purse. There was a table full of very small, cutesy purses priced from $150 to $200 and a high end name brand. I asked a clerk helping me who bought those purses. She said those were bought by children. I know my eyes got very big. She said middle school and high school girls carried those. The town does not have many wealthy people. So, people bought these for their children to carry. I was appalled and she agreed. I only hope these girls got these by taking money given to them and putting it together to make this purchase. But, I know there are indulgent parents who will do anything to please their children and help them 'fit in.' I refuse to carry a purse that has a brand on it most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only label purse was a freebie - from a hoarder house. The money that women had spent was horrid. Everything was given away.
      Yes, the fact that children have such indulgences is mind blowing. Parents (especially those w/out $) need to stop. Not teaching those girls a thing.

      Delete