Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Change and Growth

 Happy Tuesday all.  It is a beautiful morning here.  Yesterday stayed in the 80's but a bit more humid.  We had sun and clouds - yet no rain.  There is much activity outside this morning.  Today is trash day - so hearing the trucks out and about.  The 'burn' house got a new (#4) dumpster delivered.  Birds are singing and the blackbirds are back and are everywhere! Soon I will be taking my morning walk (once trash trucks are done), to check the daily progress at the burn house!  Yeah, I am that person!!  LOL

Change happens in all our lives, it happens to someone here, every day - we have to grow and move forward.  Is it easy - nope!  Many times, it is the hardest thing in the world to do.  But it is necessary.  Change is the only constant on the earth.  It happens with everyone and everything.
Hopefully we all embrace it and grow into a better human being.

Things grow as well.  Now is the time that our yards and gardens are alive.  Things are growing, they nourish us and provide for our families.  This is such a wonderful time.  All the lovely fresh goodies, at our fingertips.
One of my tomato plants - such big tomatoes.  I have 4 cherry tomato plants that are loaded with green ones and tons of blooms.  I have 4 other tomato plants that are more regular size tomatoes and 4 of these.  If things keep going as they are - come August I will have tons of tomatoes to can and eat!!!!
The grapes are hanging thick this year.  They look like this all over the vines.  They have filled out nicely and so far, we have had enough rain.  Looks like jelly will be a go this year!  Much of it will be gifts for the holidays
I mentioned a few weeks back - finding cabbage worms and they were devouring the cabbage.  Those heads are getting huge!  I have a couple close to ready to cut.
***Reminder if you grow cabbage.  Don't pull out the plant, when harvesting.  Cut the head and leave the plant - it will continue to head with smaller heads!!!!!  The gift that keeps on giving. (same with broccoli)

Yesterday I was taking a walk down the alley, as I noticed they were pulling off the siding from the burn house.  It was sure looking like a lot of work.  I got to talking to the young man out in the yard.  I asked if they pulling off all the siding and he said yes, he wanted all new everything.  So, I asked if he owned it, and he said yes.  Then I asked if he was going to live there, and he said YES!  YAY - it will not be a rental.  So happy to hear that and to see that particular area being revived.  It gives me hope.
We have ups and downs in the neighborhood, and it seems like we are now going through a revitalization - a great thing for property values and for homeowners.
(many rentals in our area have been abused in the past - nothing against people who rent in general)

Remember the pink house?  
Well, it aint pink no more!  Just in the past few days it has received a total paint job.  I was apprehensive at first, but I like it.  From the front (I walked around the block to see), it reminds me of an big old colonial house from the East coast.  I will take a picture from the front soon.
Here is a picture from my drive.  It is now charcoal gray - it almost looks black.  I guess I like the gray, as I have looked at the one across the street for several years now and it has grown on me.  Once they do trim and finish up the outside it will be great.  They have added new windows and doors, a new roof and they added a roof over the patio area all across the back. (see where ladder is).  It sure beats looking at hot pink!!
Slowly they are getting things done.  The young man that bought it, has guaranteed us all that the whole place will be great when done.  So far so good.

It is fun watching the neighborhood change - for the good.  I have seen a lot of bad over the years and now we are looking upward again.  I live very close to a couple areas that are considered the new up and coming places to be!  Both have homes that just a few years ago were riddled with violence and rubbish and you didn't want to be there.  Now those areas are selling homes for $300,000 and up!
Two Chicks & A Hammer (HGTV show Good Bones) had much to do with that.  They have redeveloped homes north of me, west of me and south of me (all about 5-10 minutes away).  

So always be ready to embrace change.  It helps us grow and to develop into a better version of ourselves.  
Hoping you all have a wonderful Tuesday!


20 comments:

  1. Wonderful about the neighborhood improvements! (Hope it doesn't make your property taxes jump.) Byebye pink house. :D

    We had more rain, and last evening got an inch+, so exciting! DS came to mow this morning, even though things are wet - he has to fit it in with his job and this week is exam week so his schedule is odd (he's a teacher).

    Your plants look great - we used to have grapes at our old house, and home made grape jam is the Best! :)

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my taxes are extremely low - so if they go up a little that is OK.
      Yay on so much rain. I know you needed it. Glad he got to work it in his schedule.
      I love grapes - so ready for them to ripen. They make the best jelly.

      Delete
  2. Nice to hear some good news. Wonderful to have neighborhoods revitalized and occupied by home owners. The past few years venture capitalists have bought up so much affordable housing and left it empty or become slum lords. There should be laws to keep single family dwellings that way. Air BnB has also contributed to the decline in affordable housing.
    Tomatoes are looking good. Mine are too! Getting loads of raspberries and had an outing for wild blueberries. Another good year for them.
    You should be proud to care about your neighborhood and greet new neighbors. Makes for a strong and supportive community.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to see. We have had our share of slum lords. Glad to see things back the way they were originally.
      Thanks. Glad yours are doing good. My walk this morning I was noticing a ton of walnuts down on the ground. No wonder I haven't seen many squirrels lately. I may have to go and glean some of them myself!! I sure hope it is a good year for everyone.

      Delete
  3. It is wonderful to see anything (or a person) renovated for the better. Personally if my "area" is clean and tidy, I feel more serene and not anxious. Clutter and downright filth is not conducive to a calm mind. I have been watching some films on Instagram of gals who clean out real messes, kind of like when Hoarders was on tv. I like the charcoal house. It's good the "burn" house will not be a rental. Nothing against renters, as I have seen homeowners who are pigs. (oops, did I say that?)

    That is a big tomato! You have a lot more tomatoes that we planted. The Amish Paste are getting big. Soon we will have the little yellow pear tomatoes.

    Shalom Aleichem! Peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to see renovation! I welcomed the guy at the burn house to the neighborhood yesterday - he seemed to appreciate it.
      I watch those hoarder shows sometimes and just shutter!!! Oh, it takes all kinds - just can't fathom living in filth.
      Glad your tomatoes are doing good.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to see positive progress in your area. If you're a senior, be sure to file for the Senior exemption on your real estate taxes and, if your area has it and you might qualify, for the Senior Freeze. For my area, you have to file info from your tax returns, so have those documents on hand for reference. That info has to be updated annually to retain a tax freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to see. Thanks for the info! That is good for all of us seniors to know.

      Delete
  5. That's great news! It is strange how neighbourhoods go down hill and then, suddenly, it is if a switch is flipped and they suddenly become desirable again. Once the trouble-makers move out the renovators move in. Good news for youngsters wanting their own home before prices reach silly levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to watch the up and down changes. I have been here 38 years so I have seen a lot of changes. Yes, once the neighborhoods get all updated, it is hard for younger folks to buy. Prices raise and it makes it harder. Good for the seller IF they can find a buyer!

      Delete
  6. I've watched the Good Bones program many times, and hadn't made the connection to you and your city. It definitely did appear their work was good (that isn't true of several of the other programs). It's always good to see older properties brought back to life, rather than tearing things down and re-building a monstrosity of a house.
    You're going to be swamped with tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do - do good work. Yep, everything they show on those shows is within about 10 minutes or so from me. So they have really helped resurrect the area. Now many people are following suit.
      Yes, if it keeps going good, there will be a lot of tomatoes out there. YAY!

      Delete
  7. That is wonderful news about your neighborhood! It is exciting to see what can be done with long neglected homes. We have one that has not been maintained in years and the owner passed away a few months ago. It is now for sale and I am excited to see how it plays out and what the new owners do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to see these neglected homes get a face lift. I sure hope the home in your neighborhood gets a loving owner and a new facelift.

      Delete
  8. Even though I lived in the Historic District, I was lucky enough to live next door to a rental. Yes, I do have something against those renters. Most had dogs out of control, played loud music, sold drugs, threw beer cans in my yard. When the nice renter moved in, she hated me and my chickens, threatened them. But, the pink house would have made me happy seeing it.I am glad things are looking up in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was some bad renters. I have had just one that rubbed me the wrong way in close proximity. Others in the neighborhood have just not taken care of the property nicely. The burn house was the one BAD house - really bad things went on there. Glad they are gone. The pink house was quite the eyesore for everyone around here. It did not fit the district at all.
      Thanks

      Delete
  9. Thank you Cheryl for the positive comments to the people improving the houses in your area. You would be surprised how many negative comments we get when we buy a house to improve it.
    Our number one rule when selling is to sell to a family that will live in the home, in the past we have taken a lower offer just to sell to people who will make the home their own. As I have mentioned before my partner grew up in a boys home and the "dream" of a family home remains strong in him.
    I am pleased for you that you can see that your neighborhood is on the rise. It is rewarding to see your neighbors care for their property as much as you do, it just creates a wonderful feel. Take care, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I cannot imagine someone being negative about improvement of a neighborhood. That is horrible.
      I love that there are people who have the time and funds to improve these properties. It is a lot of very hard work, but it will be home for someone. That is special. I love my home, and they will love theirs.
      I think the ideals your partner has are wonderful. Give what you didn't have. Sometimes there is much more than money!
      Thank you both for taking care of these properties.

      Delete
  10. That's great to see positive change in your neighborhood! It's a good thing for all who live there and nearby! And yes, change is the one thing constant in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love seeing things improve. It brings joy to my heart. It doesn't help my property values either!
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete