We love the stuff.
Oil is almost misleading, as most you buy is solid (like shortening), but melts easily.
It has many beneficial fats which can help in digestion.
It has natural antioxidant properties (which makes it great for skin)
Helps support mental function
Helps natural hormone production
It has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties - which help the immune system
It is basically SUPERFOOD!
There are two basic types, which most places sell.
UNREFINED - offers the most benefits. This type has the highest antioxidant levels.
REFINED - is basically tasteless and has no smell. It has many of the same benefits, just not quite as many as unrefined.
- Cooking - has a high smoke point
- Baking - a great non-dairy replacement for butter in recipes
- Emulsify in coffee - (G does this every day) OR emulsify in hot chocolate
- Add to smoothies
- Anti aging for facial/skin moisturizing (all I use)
- Can be mixed with other oils to make lotion bars.
- Plain or mixed with baking soda for deodorant AND for tooth paste
- Great for dry feet
- Super lip balm
- Small amounts rubbed in, can recondition leather
- Use in home made pet treats to help their digestion and to help those with skin conditions (can add to their daily food as well)
- Rub inside the nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
- Topically can help kill yeast infections
- Soothes psoriasis or eczema
- Soothes the itch from bug bites and from poison ivy
- Can help improve cholesterol ratios
- Helps fight infections and flu symptoms
- Helps sooth sunburn pain
- Calms the frizz of a bad hair day - a tiny bit rubbed into hair is a great conditioner (I have done this)
- Use on babies bum for diaper rash
The list of health benefits goes on and on (there are literally hundreds of uses). Google it and read for yourself.
We have been using both internally and externally for well over a year now. I use it in baking and for frying as well.
We have neither one had a sniffle since we started using. I had a big eczema patch on my leg and after using coconut oil for about 2 weeks - it is totally gone. I notice fine lines have disappeared around my eyes, and skin irritations clear almost over night.
All I can do is sing praises!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not a medical expert by any means, but sometimes simple things can make a huge difference in our lives. When I find something that works - I feel it is my duty to pass on that information.
NOTE: Do NOT use if you are allergic to coconut!!!!!!
I hope everyone gives this wonderful oil a chance. It literally can change many aspects of your (and your pets) lives.
Stay healthy the natural way!!!