It is hard to believe that we will be welcoming in 2018 in a couple months. It sure doesn't seem possible.
The weather has FINALLY become fall-like. We have had a lot of rain and gloom this past week and them temps - well, they fell! Lows are in the 30's and high in the 40's and 50's. Thursday morning we had our first 'noticeable' frost and we are supposed to have our first freeze tonight.
The garden party is over!!!! It makes me sad, but it is also nice to have a break.
I got all the water bowls plugged in for the kitties and natures vast array of critters!
We have had 4 pair of cardinals in the yard for about the past week. They seem to be busy eating right at dusk and dawn. Oh my, they are so beautiful!
The birdies and squirrels sure do realize that the weather is changing - they are eating LOTS of food!
Cuteness overload! I thought this was the sweetest picture!!!!
- I processed the last batch of kraut - 8 pints
- Did get to do more yard work when it wasn't raining - FREE exercise
- Picked ALL the garden that was left. I got 8 - 5"-6" heads of cabbage. 5 - tennis balls size heads - several pounds of broccoli, the end of the peppers and bunches and bunches of cherry green tomatoes! Picked thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- Dehydrated the tiny heads of cabbage (took them apart) - and ground into powder.
- Dehydrated herbs
- Had a breakfast/brunch with a high school pal this week. We met at 9:30 and left the restaurant at 2PM! We had lots to catch up on. Cheap fun!!!!!!
- This was my birthday week and I went to buy myself a present - but found nothing except Christmas gifts! I went to Big Lots to look for a new shower curtain - NOPE. BUT I did find 2 - gallon size jars (2lb.each) of Protein powder for my nephews who work out a ton. They were regular 19.99 and I PAID 5.00 each.!!!!!!!
- I also got regular size cans of chunky cranberry sauce for .10 each! Not huge cranberry eaters, but in a pinch it would taste great. I may also use to make jam with oranges/cranberry.
- I received some money as a gift this week, and also some home canned goods from my brother (things I don't can). G bought dinner one night - as I was told I was NOT cooking!!!! How sweet (but I cringed at the amount spent!)
- Did more fall deep cleaning. It never ends.
- All the normal stuff - we do each and every day!
Leftover homemade pizza and salad
Mini taco pies and brussel sprouts
Cheesy smoked sausage sandwiches and chips
Cajon rice with chicken . steamed broccoli and sliced tomatoes
Pizza, breadsticks, and wings (delivered) Big Box - had 2 different pizzas & other goodies!
Leftover breadsticks and cheese and pizza
I will be making a nice pot of hamburger/veggie soup today. I am so in the soup mood with these chilly days!
I am all set for Halloween (with clearance candy I got earlier) - but I still am not sure what I will do. It just gets kind of scary any more - you never know who is walking around out there. IF I do it, I will sit outside so I don't have to open the door (it's what I always do) and I will quit early - at dark. The little kids start coming about 6PM - those are the ones I care about.
Halloween is only once a year and I remember how exciting it was when I was kid.
I sure do dislike the shorter daylight hours we are having. They will only get worse in another week with the time change. It is now still dark at 8AM and is dark at 7:30 PM. That is one part of fall/winter that I hate! UGH
What did you do in your frugal home this week? Are the gardens done? Any special deals?
It seems that the 'fall winding down' is happening every where here in the states. Some of our readers are getting to enjoy spring/summer! Lucky gals!
I hope each of you has a safe and healthy week. May the Lord bless you and keep you in His loving arms.
Blessing from our frugal home to yours.
**Please say an extra prayer for our reader Laura at Harvest Lane Cottage. She has been battling cancer and is now finished with chemo and surgery. Prayers that the Lord heals her quickly and completely!