There are lot's of things to do that can be fun and even helpful that cost nothing. Many of these ideas can be put into use all during the year - not just summer.
- Look into library activities. There are lots of things for kids to get involved with during the summer. Many libraries even have activities for adults (book clubs, lectures, etc.)
- Take a nature walk. Walk in a park, the woods, by a lake or ocean - whatever is close by.
- Plan a neighborhood social/potluck - get to know the neighbors
- Have a picnic - it can be at home or in a park
- Backyard camping is always a fun thing for kids
- Bird/animal watch - it can be fascinating
- Take pictures - photography is easy and the more you do it the better you get.
- Visit a FREE day at a museum or zoo. Many patriotic holidays are offered as FREE days. National parks generally have a couple FREE days a year as well
- Geo caching is a big thing now. It's a literal scavenger hunt using GPS. Go to geocaching.com and look up your zip code and see what is available in your area
- Take a bike ride
- If you have a projector - try having a 'backyard drive-in' movie. Put up a white sheet and show old movies or family movies
- Have a yard sale - WIN - WIN - you make money as well as get rid of stuff!
- Front porch sitting! Sit and read a book, listen to nature, talk to passers by, meditate, etc.
- Take a nap! Remember it's not a punishment any more like it was when we were kids!
- Volunteer - check out a food pantry, the local animal shelters, parks, hospital, etc.
- Play under the hose/sprinkler - great fun for kids (and adults too!)
- Help an elderly or disabled neighbor
- PLAY - horseshoes, volleyball, Frisbee, kickball, corn hole, bubbles, etc.
- Take a FREE community class - how-to home repair, cooking, gardening, identifying local plants/birds, canning, etc. Many craft shops offer FREE craft classes for kids too.
- Clean out the garage - maybe not so fun - but frees up space! Same with closets.
- Walk a farm market or flea market JUST to get ideas and look around. You don't have to buy. It is a great way of socializing with others getting fresh air, and people watching!
- Yoga - learn some Yoga positions from a class or watching You Tube and relax!
- Do crafts - make cards or start of projects for the holidays and gifts
- Genealogy - research your family history. It is easier all the time with the computer and the internet. This can be fun and it can be done all times of the year.
- Garden - raise your own veggies. Healthy food and enjoyable.
- Have a neighborhood clean-up
- Walk an area creek and find interesting rocks. Take the kids - they will love it.
- Go fishing
- Have a family reunion & pitch-in
There are endless ways to have fun that cost nothing or next to nothing.
I hope you all have a lovely summer. Let you creative mind take over and have some FREE fun.
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL - ENJOY IT!