The weather went from hot and humid (almost 90) to 30's at night this week. It just dropped like crazy all at once. I told hubs the first of week - just watch it will get cold and maybe snow by Halloween!. It could happen. They had flurries in northern part of state Friday night, and we had sleet. We actually have had to turn on heat a couple times this week. YUCK
I have been in such a 'funk' of a mood lately. I think it must be that time of the year. I just hate the shorter daylight hours!!!! As my good friend said yesterday I need to "snap out of it"!!!!! She asked me if it was because I have a birthday later this month - and I laughed. I then went to the mailbox and opened a letter that stated "in just 9 months you can apply for Medicare". Dang it - that made me feel old!
My frugal week:
- Picked all the last veggies in the garden - about 8 1/2 lbs.
- Started on pulling out the garden - have it about half done
- Rolled and drained the hoses
- Mowed yard and did misc. yard work
- Emptied and stored 1 of the rain barrels - one more to go
- Took the BBQ grill apart and cleaned thoroughly. Ready for any winter use
- Lined dried laundry
- Cut and dehydrated garlic chives and thyme
- Brought a pot of rosemary inside - going to try to keep it over the winter
- Bottled 6 more individual bottles of water
- Got lots of paperwork done this week
- Made baked apples
- Made cake mix cookies
- Made a big pot of cheesy potato soup. Added ground meat the 2nd night. Froze the balance for another day
- Ran to Meijer on Friday to take advantage of their 2 day sale. I got whole pork loins for 1.15/lb. (I bought 4) I will cut mainly into chops. Half pound packs of smoked sausage for .90 each (11/$10 sale)
- Went to Menards (across the street from Meijer) and got sale priced furnace filters to last for over the next year.
- All normal stuff - cooking meals at home, using what we have, blending up new bottles of shampoo, dish soap & Febreeze, staying home a lot, making tea, and more
Meals this past week:
Baked beans with hotdogs added and salad
Cold sandwiches and chips and dip (hot mow day)
Sausage/egg croissants (from freezer) and oven fries
Cheese ravioli/meatballs in marinara and garlic toast
Cheesy potato soup
Soup with added ground beef and sour cream
Hamburger steaks topped with sautéed onions, mushrooms, peppers, tator tots & salad
We had apples with peanut butter, plain apples, baked apples, ice cream sundaes, and cake mix cookies for treats this week.
We either ate all leftovers for other meals or froze them.
I finally got around to adding up all the final receipts for SEPTEMBER this week. I was sooooo proud of myself!!!
My regular grocery totals for the MONTH was $87.30 and the total for "deep pantry extras for storage" was only $39.65 for the MONTH!!!!! WOOHOO!
I tallied my garden produce totals this week as well. Total picked was 281 lbs. of produce. What a savings in money! I have canned 120 jars of goodies and I still haven't done jelly from garden grapes/berries. We gave a lot to others as well - so lots of people enjoyed it. I know it isn't as much as some folks, but not too shaggy for my little backyard garden! I am pleased.
How was your week? Are your gardens done as well? Are you getting ready for all the fall/winter holidays? Any great savings or deals?
Let us know.
May your coming week be fruitful, frugal and fantastic. Prayers for health and safety to you all. Prayers going out to all those affected by yet another hurricane. So many have lost everything.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.