Some of these are common sense, others may be new ideas. I understand that you won't save TONS of dollars doing these little tricks - but as Daddy always said "pennies make dollars"!!!!!
- Start your shopping trip by going to produce, meat and dairy sections FIRST! These are the healthiest REAL foods for your diet. The center aisles are all full of junk and processed food.
- Chop and cut your own!!!!! Don't buy those backs/packs of pre-cut salads, fruits and veggies - they cost a small fortune per pound! Do the work and save the money.
- Shred your own cheese!!!!! It will be 100% cheese. The bags of shredded cheese you buy have chemicals added to keep the cheese pieces from sticking together. YUK Chunk cheese is often cheaper as well.
- LOOK TO THE REAR! Oldest items are on the shelves in the front. If you want to extend your milk, yogurt, veggies, etc. - get your product from the back of the shelf. ***OK I even have a habit of getting canned goods and such from the back of shelves - as they probably haven't been touched as much! Less germs! I know that may seem crazy, but do you have any idea how many nasty germs are on the items? Sneezing, coughing, poo/pee from little's, who knows what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ICK
- ALWAYS check mark downs, clearance and manager's specials.
- When buying a bunch of celery - bring it home, remove from plastic and wrap tightly in foil. It will last for ages.
- Mushrooms and plastic do not go together! Bring them home, wipe them off (do not wash) and put them in a paper bag. They will stay fresh for so long!
- Once you open your cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. - tightly replace the lid and store upside down in the frig. This displaces air that cause your dairy to go bad
- Buying fresh asparagus? Cut a bit off the bottom end - and store the asparagus in a glass with about an inch or so of water in it. Cover the top with a plastic bag. It stays nice and firm and fresh.
- Many stores have 2 day sales and specials using 'digital coupons'. You don't have to have a smart phone or even print the coupon. Separate the items from the rest of grocery items - tell the clerk UP FRONT and show the add. You will get that special price. I do this all the time at Kroger. Just make sure you mention it before they ring it up!!!!!!
- DO NOT over pack your refrigerator. That causes it to work harder, and items in the 'middle' may not get as cool as they should be.
- Keep you frig at the perfect temps to preserve your groceries. Ideal is 35* - but between 34* - 39* will work.
- Always wrap your lettuce in a paper towel and then place back in bag or bowl. That will help keep the moisture off the lettuce which causes it to wilt and slime
- Wrap your hard cheese in parchment paper when storing (after opening). It allows the cheese to breath and stay fresh.
- NEVER keep onions or potatoes in the frig. Do NOT keep them in plastic bags either. They need a dark, cool and dry place and need to be in something that allows them to get air.
- Never buy cards at the grocery store. You get the best prices at dollar stores. NO they may not be Hallmark - but they are fine. Most people just throw them away - so why spend a fortune on them. Same with wrapping paper. I know this isn't a kitchen thing - but it saves money!
- IF you buy cleaning products - do NOT buy at the grocery unless you can get for next to nothing. Dollar stores are almost always cheaper. It is the same with many beauty items (shampoo, toothpaste, brushes, conditioner, etc.)
- ALWAYS get rain checks when allowable if the store is out of a sale item. You can get it later for the same discounted price.
- Even if you do NOT need groceries on a given week - it might be wise to go and check cheaper priced items for your stock pile. Your deep pantry/stockpile may save you some day.
- If you find a great deal (too good to pass up price) - ALWAYS buy more than one!!!!! ALWAYS!
- Never waste food. Use for other meals (lunch, breakfast), use as leftovers, remake into new item, or freeze for a later date. USE IT UP!!
- Buy clearance candy and goodies AFTER a holiday. They last for ages on a shelf or you can freeze them. It doesn't matter what the decoration on the wrapper is.
There are so many tricks and tips that save money. Take care of those pennies and they will take care of you.
Do you have any special tricks for making your groceries and dollars last longer???
PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS!