It is a very windy, wet, gloomy and chilly day here.
This week we got to over 80* one day and had much lovely weather. Tonight they are calling for flurries!!! Old Mother Nature just can't decide!
It seems my allergies are going absolutely crazy!
The grass is green, the trees are leafing! Tulips blooming, and the peonies have grown in leaps and bounds this week. In one day - they popped up at least 8". I swear we could have watched them grow.
This week we had that nightmare (that we all fear) happen. I was out in the garage getting the mower ready and thought I would get something out of the freezer to thaw for dinner. No problem - IT WAS ALL THAWED!!! AS IN ALL BAD! A GFI on the outlet had popped, thus turning off power to that outlet. It could have been much worse. I don't have to replace the freezer and that freezer didn't have the bulk of food in it.
It was just starting to get stinky!!!! I got everything out and in the trash just 20 minutes before the trash truck came to pick up. (I used my bin and the neighbors). I was so thankful I didn't find it later - as all that meat would have set outside for a week smelling!
I lost a couple small turkeys, a ham, lots of shrimp and fish and some chicken.
I calculated what I paid - approximately $220 for all - regular price would have been about $400.
Our insurance will NOT cover any of it. That sucks!
Lesson learned - check the freezer every couple days. (We are getting a new GFI outlet as well).
My frugal week:
- Did a bunch of yard work. Got the front flower beds all clean. Raked all those gazillion sticks out of the yard. Mowed the yard (the saga begins) - the front got done twice!
- Got one rain barrel set up
- Picked a lovely bouquet of tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths
- Got to air the house bunches this week.
- Rarely had the heat on
- Got the freezer all cleaned and ready for new purchases (what a smelly job)
- Cooked a really small pork roast in crockpot
- Cleaned all the window jambs this week (that part between inside and outside windows). They sure got dusty and dirty over the winter
- This was a good grocery deal week. I got lots of goodies for continuing to stock up.
- ALDI - had butt ham portions on for .65/lb. I got 2 - each was $5 and some change. (we prefer butt over shank). 8 oz. cheese blocks were 1.49 each. Got a few to add to our cheese supply (we love cheese). Cream cheese was .69/8 oz. I added several of them as well. Butter 1.99/lb. (6) YAY!
- KROGER - 18 count eggs/.99 (I got 2). Fresh potatoes 10lb./1.99. Maxwell House coffee - 3.99. (3) Pasta - .49/lb. (6). Green beans - .49/can (6). Found a 1 pound bag of chopped walnuts for 2.49 (in the freezer now). I also found a marked down rump roast (4 lbs.) for $9 - regular price $18 (Easter dinner). Fresh asparagus - .99/lb. (3 lb.)
- Did all the normal stuff and used all leftovers
Meals this past week:
Homemade pizza bites/rounds - (made with older slider buns)Taco salad
Cold sandwiches and chips (the day of freezer clean-out TIRED)
Pork roast, smashed potatoes and steamed asparagus
Pork/rice/cheese enchiladas (sort of)
Added filling and just folded over soft taco shells - covered w/sauce & cheese (EASY)
What did you do this week? Any deals? Getting any yard work done?
May you all have a blessed and wonderful week. Stay healthy and safe and frugal my friends.
Have a wonderful Holy week.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.