We only have this one planet, and thus far I truly don't think we have done a crack up job of taking care of it!!!!!
I will not refer to humans as the superior being - as there are times I don't think we are. Animals do not go out of their way to trash the world, to ruin nature, to fill the earth with filth and rubbish. to cut down all of our trees and put up parking lots. They hunt for food and use what they kill. They make their homes to flow with nature.
I think we really need to educate the youngsters of today. I am a firm believer that if WE don't - the concern and respect for the earth will be gone in a few years. Many young people don't have a clue where their food comes from and how it evolves to get to our plates. They don't realize that we can ruin this planet to a point of no return.
YES, there are some young folks trying to get into farming and learning the old ways - but I think they are few. I would love to see people turn off devices and get back in touch with nature.
Earth Day is April 22nd. This has been celebrated for about a half century now. It is a gentle reminder to us all to do what we can to take care of what we have. There are many ways to do that on many levels.
- Reduce, re-use and recycle - number 1 in my book!
- Quit using plastic whenever possible. Many stores have obligated to stop giving plastic grocery bags completely in upcoming years. Some states have already outlawed them. Plastic and Styrofoam does NOT break down. Use cloth grocery bags and produce bags. Quit buying individual serve containers.
- Use more glass containers. Buy in bulk (less packaging) and store products in your own glass containers. Use glass as leftover jars.
- DO NOT litter!!!!! If you see litter - PICK IT UP! Don't wait for someone else to do the right thing
- Plants trees and bushes - they help keep your air clean
- DO NOT use chemicals on the land - keep it natural. Yes, there are ways.
- DO NOT use chemicals in your home. You are contaminating the air you, your children, your pets, and everyone else is breathing. Natural ways of cleaning is so much healthier and it works.
- Be resourceful and mindful of all of your utilities. Do not waste water or power. Collect rain water if possible to use on gardens and plants or even for gray water for your home. Turn off lights when not in use. Keep your heating/cooling to a reasonable level - fresh air is wonderful!
Next time you hard boil eggs or boil potatoes or steam veggies - let that water cool and use it to water houseplants or garden plants. It is full of nutrients.
Another re-use of water is when canning. After I am done with my water bath canner for the day - I carefully take it outside and pour that scalding water on weeds/grass at the fence row or around the porch or driveway. They die lickety-split!
You can use tub water to flush toilets or even to water plants.
Shower water can be caught in a bucket and re-used. Otherwise it is just flowing down the drain for no reason.
This is what I use for areas that I simply want no growth. I use in the gravel area out back and behind the shed (where mower won't fit). I also use to keep the fence row (under the fence) clear. It works quite well and there are no harsh chemicals to harm animals or humans. The stuff you buy at the store is horrible! Yes, you may have to repeat this every so often - but to me it is worth a little extra work to keep the animals safe.
NO it doesn't really work as fast as it says in the picture - but within a day two weeds and grass are dead.
Do not spray on desirable plants!
Yes, this is what I use as a fertilizer as well. Many of us have used or still use Miracle Gro - but read the labels! There is nasty stuff in it. I don't want that leeching into my food. I will continue to make my own.
Also think about using chopped and blended (with water) banana peels, egg shells, homemade compost, manure tea, etc. There are so many natural things that will make your garden flourish and they are all healthy for your body!
Let us help the earth and leave it a better place for the future. I sit back and watch the state of the world now and often wonder what it will be like when the babies being born today get to be our age (if that even gets to happen). It is sad.
We need to do our best to protect and serve the earth - it is a wonderous thing that we have been gifted. We need to educate and teach anyone who will listen.
IF WE EACH DO A LITTLE - THAT BECOMES A LOT!