We have now entered that time of the year that people do very unacceptable things. It is sad.
Desperate people - desperate acts? People just being mean? People being greedy? People just breaking all societal rules? Whatever it is - it's wrong.
We all have worked hard for what we have, and NO ONE has the right to vandalize us or take our things. NO ONE for NO REASON!!!!!! If you are desperate - ask for help. There are people and places that can help.
There are just some basic things that we all need to keep in mind to stay safe during the upcoming holidays.
- Don't place packages under your tree IF they can be seen from outdoors. That is tempting fate and inviting intruders (sadly). Keep all packages out of the line of sight from windows and doors.
- If you have porch lights or security lights make sure you use them. Motion detecting lights are great.
- Keep your doors and windows locked
- If you have deliveries coming - keep track of delivery information via computer. Unattended packages are being taken every where by 'porch bandits'. Have deliveries made to work or to a trusted neighbor IF you work. I noticed last week UPS delivered 2X in a couple days to the house across the street and just dropped it on the porch - no knocking or ringing the bell to alert. That is just wrong!!!! I was delivered a flat parcel earlier this summer (a check) and the driver just threw it on the porch. I happened to be out and saw him (from back yard) and went out front. That could have been a nightmare had the insurance check been stolen. STAY AWARE OF DELIVERIES
- Place your outgoing mail in boxes at the P.O. - do not place in your mailbox for mailman pick-up if at possible. Many creeps watch for flags to be up and take mail - hoping to find checks or GC's. Gather your mail quickly as well (if at all possible).
- Do NOT 'advertise' on social media that you are going on vacation or are going to be away from home for an extended period. Bad people watch for that - it is an invitation to them!
- If you are gone - keep curtains, blinds closed.
- Be ever vigilant of your surroundings when out shopping - DAY or NIGHT. Keep your eyes open and stay alert
- Keep your car locked at all times
- Do not leave handbag, phone. computers, chargers, anything of value in your car. Clear out the vehicle before shopping and make sure you have your handbag and phone with you
- Keep your phone and your keys on your person when shopping! Not in your handbag. If by some awful chance someone gets your purse - you still have a means to call for help and you can still get home
- I really hate taking a handbag with me when shopping during the holidays. I either keep a very small one with a strap on it under my coat and out of sight or I use an old fashion 'fanny pack'. I want my things close
- Leave extra charge cards or extra money - that you won't be using AT HOME
- Park in well lit areas if shopping at night - and best yet make sure you have a buddy with you
- Do NOT leave parcels in plain sight in your vehicle. Place them in your trunk or back end of an SUV and covered. Don't ADVERTISE that "I have been shopping all day"!
It is a sad state that we have to be worried about such things, but there are evil people out there who would rather steal from you than have to provide by working or spending their own money.
Stay alert this holiday season.
Keep your home and vehicle locked and watch your surrounding at all times.
I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season.