It is a pretty Sunday morning here. Cold but sunny. What a weather week we had. Last Sunday I had the doors open and a couple windows as well (got to 62*). Aired out the house while I was out raking. Within 24 hours temps dropped and it was snowing like crazy after raining! Luckily we only got about 2 - 2 1/2 inches. It is gone now.
It got the coldest that this entire year has seen. We got down into single digits a couple nights and days stayed in the 20's. We are now back to days in the 40's - much better!
Tuesday was a messy day. My Blazer sets outdoors 24/7, so I worked at getting it all uncovered and unthawed, as I had to be somewhere on Wednesday. Got it all thawed, so I decided to leave it unlocked, figuring it wouldn't refreeze over night. I NEVER LEAVE MY VEHICLE UNLOCKED.
Well, go out Wed. morning (coldest of the year) and my car door was open!! My car had been ransacked. Stuff just strewn all around. Only thing missing was a very old pair of prescription sunglasses (won't help anyone) and my Aldi quarters! I had 3 quarters in the console - I later found one of them in the drive. Now mind you, my car is in the upper part of drive directly between my house and the neighbor's and we both had on security lights that lit up the area.
Crazy! I guess many people left cars unlocked that night (because of weather) and someone must have assumed that would be the case. Several cars on our block were hit.
So sad that people are that lowly, that they would walk up in yards and steal, especially on the coldest night of the year. That is pretty darn bold. I hope those quarters were well spent!
Won't happen here again. I learned a lesson.
Just a reminder to all - NEVER leave anything of value in your vehicle!
- Raked leaves that were down and put on garden
- Made up several small basic pizzas and froze for easy future meals
- Aired house out on Sunday
- Put out extra bedding in the greenhouse and small dog house for the cats. (They have been staying cozy!)
- Re-filled all the feed bins with items on hand during a warmer day
- Made up batches of beef and chicken Rice A Roni jar recipes and several jars of mixed beans for gifts
- Doing all the normal things - making tea, eating from home, laundry in cold, cleaning and de-cluttering here and there
- I went to lunch/brunch with my dear friend Jen on Wednesday. I have known her for OVER 50 years. Like she said this week - who knew that 2 little girls and their violins would have made this bond that has lasted so long! Bless her heart - she bought my lunch! Fun day
- I went to a craft show on Saturday, basically because my niece had a booth. Got to see my gr.gr. niece (5 mos.). I did purchase a few items at the show for stocking stuffers.
I got all 7 of these primitive ornaments for a total of $10! Notice the pretty little bag under them - I will re-use that as well.
Meals this week:
Small taco type pizza
Smoked sausage sandwich and baked beans (from freezer), chips
Beef/bacon patty melt
Out with friend - pancakes and bacon
My homemade easy gumbo - 2X
Taco (meat)-cheese-salsa pasta
EASY GUMBO - box of Aldi dirty rice mix & required water, chicken broth, can/jar of diced tomatoes, 1/4 C extra rice, can of chicken breast, and about a cup of cut okra from freezer - about 2 cans water (extra from that used as directed w/mix), seasonings to taste. TASTY! (made a lot) I ate twice and froze some.
Even with the cold and snowy weather this week, it was nice. Love getting caught up with friends and seeing family. I despise winter - but I must say that the cold is energizing at times.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the responses to the "memory lane" post. It was so fun reading all the memories. I smiled a lot this week while reading those. Thank you all.
How was your week? Did you get any holiday bargains? There sure are some good deals being advertised for Thanksgiving. Now is the time of year to stock-up on those goodies at their cheapest price.
Prayers you all stay safe and healthy in this coming week. Stay warm - for those here in the U.S. and stay cool in the southern hemisphere!!!!
Blessings from my humble little home to yours!