Hello to all. Happy Sunday and last weekend of September. The time is just flying by this year.
We have had really nice weather this week. Pretty much perfect in my opinion. 70's during the day and 50's at night. Still absolutely no rain! Driest September in decades. The weather folks are saying perhaps we will get some rain later tonight.
I accomplished some this week, but I was just in a very reflective mood. This would have been the week of Glen's 65th birthday (the 24th). Instead of getting to give him grief about 65 (LOL) - he had his 2nd heavenly birthday. I sure do miss him, but I know he is enjoying the bliss and wonderments of heaven - something we can only try to imagine.
I want to thank you all for participating this week and giving so many stories and ideas on budgeting. I think there were many great ideas - and I can almost guarantee that your answers helped someone who is struggling. THANK YOU
- Still picking tomatoes. I think this week I may pull out the regular plants and harvest everything to ripen inside.
- Did more yard work - here and there. Just deadheading lots of plants.
- Froze the balance of the chili for another day
- Chopped up some tiny colored peppers I had and froze for future use
- Cleaned out the bedroom closet (again). I had an added shelf that was moving - so I screwed that in for safety - and just got rid of a lot of stuff
- Dropped 4 boxes and a big bag of stuff at the church thrift store
- Picked up a FREE loaf of thick cut bread at thrift store
- AC off 95% of the week. I turned on for one cycle on 2 different late afternoons
- I ran to Kroger when out. They had ground beef on sale for 1.77/lb. I needed a few refrigerator items. GOOD NEWS - ALL shelves were well stocked and full. There was canned goods galore and lots of tomato products, pumpkin in cans, paper goods and cleaning supplies, soda pop of all kinds (had hardly nothing for well over 2 months - can problem?), lots of variety of meat and no limits on anything, There were also assorted sizes of canning jars!! It looked like the good old days!!!!! (I understand not all areas are so blessed yet). Just trying to give some encouragement.
- Did a decent clean up of the main part of garage. Looks so much better. Need to work on de-cluttering out there at some point and work on the shelves. AT least the floor area is clear!
- Brought in all items that might be freezable - paint and such
- Started working in basement - OH MY GOODNESS! I did get the craft table cleaned off. I went through a huge tote and sorted saved jars (not canning). I cleaned the little hall between laundry room and living area. I brought up a lot of things to just trash. (at least I started this project)
- I went through what items I have purchased for Christmas baskets. Not as much as I thought. I need to get busy with that.
- Used rain barrels to water plants
- Doing all the basics - cooking from home, laundry in cold, line drying, airing house, drinking water - porch sitting!
Meals this past week:
Mushroom/Swiss steak burger and macaroni w/tomatoes
Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Breakfast - waffle (last from freezer), sausage patties and fried egg
Beef/bean/cheese Frito casserole
Leftover casserole and salad
Pork chops, kraut and fried smashed potato
Broccoli/tuna macaroni with cheese
Now that the weather is cooling I am thinking about all the comfort foods!
I am proud I finally started working in cleaning the clutter in the basement. It is a very daunting project - and I usually just go look and walk away. At least I have started! Baby steps!!!!!
The kitties are enjoying the cooler temps. The squirrels are now eating lots more around here. I still see them running around with walnuts - but they are back to eating corn, sunflower seeds and peanuts! Birds still seem a bit scarce - but they will be back soon. My hummies are gone! Haven't even seen a stray. 😢
So tell us - how was your week? Gardens, canning, freezing?? Deals??
Are you doing any fall cleaning? Look forward to hearing from you all.
May you and yours be safe and healthy in the coming week.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.
I can do all things in Him who strengthens me.