Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Old Fashioned - Easy - Frugal

 Oh the weather outside is frightful...........  LOL - not frightful yet - but I did awake to our first snow.  We have about 2" on the ground right now and maybe another inch coming.  I know there are a bunch of folks east of our state that are supposed to get hammered with snow.  I am so sorry!!!!!!

People here act like they have never seen snow before - on the first snowfall of the year.  Wrecks and panic bread and milk shopping!  CRAZY.
It will be gone in a couple days, so I think we will survive here.  If the weather is nasty - well my suggestion is have some fun indoors.  BAKE!!!

Here are a few old timey recipes that are both easy and pretty frugal.  Most can be handled with what you have in the pantry.  Stay warm and have fun.

Mix sugar and cocoa in a large saucepan.  Add milk and butter.  Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Boil for 1 1/2 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper or parchment.
Delish and so very easy.  The first cookie I ever made all by myself!!!  I learned about these in 4-H.  Still a favorite today!

No limit to what you can make with this recipe.  ANY type cake mix - add any type chips or nuts - Mmmm

One of the basic old fashioned cookies Mom used to make.  They are always a hit.  Super easy to make - if you don't have a cookie press that is OK.  Make small balls and flatten with a fork or fancy bottom of a glass.  Little bites of love!!!!!
(click on picture to enlarge for better reading)

Doesn't get much easier than this!  I know pralines have pecans - but use what you have.  Nothing could taste bad!

Super easy and super yummy dessert!  Put together in a jiff. (Make your own buttermilk-so as not to make a special trip out)  Use whatever canned fruit you have.

For those who will be getting slammed with snow - make merry and make ice cream.  The weather may be nasty - no reason not to have a little fun!  I remember making this so many times and what a treat it always was!!!!!

So frightful weather or not - have fun.  I love easy and old time recipes.  They bring back a bit of childhood - and that is magical to me.

We are just a little over a week out on Christmas - so let's get baking.  Share with a neighbor or a friend or family.  
Stay safe and warm and MAKE MERRY!!!!


28 comments:

  1. What a great post Cheryl, thank you and Merry Christmas to you!
    Love from Pam in Texas.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find something to make and share and enjoy!!!!
      You are welcome and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. The first time I ever had those no-bake cookies was at school lunch. lol. My kids have always loved them. These are some really great recipes--but now sure I would eat our snow lol. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we may have had them in school too. I would eat the snow as soon as it falls - just wouldn't leave out there very long! I figure I won't get any more yuckies from it than processed food!!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  3. Snow ice cream! What a great memory, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my now I want to cook again! Love all of these ideas. Especially the pralines yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have baked enough girl! Yeah, can't get any easier than the pralines.

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love this post! So many good ideas and from items in the pantry. Thank you! You must be just East and may be a little south of me? I'm on the far northern fringes of this weather system, and we only had a few flakes this morning and some afternoon, but coming off the Lake. Not quite ready for measurable snow just yet. Merry Christmas, if I don't get back here next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am glad you like this.
      I am smack dab in the middle of Indiana. I am never ready for snow! Heck it is supposed to be in 40's in a couple days. You just never know.
      Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete
  6. I love the no-bake cookies! They are awesome. Merry Christmas,
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how a childhood treat is still a favorite of so many adults! I love it. Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete
  7. We have ice here so I am staying home.
    I love no bake cookies. Chocolate and peanut butter are my favorite food groups. :) Thanks for the recipes. They sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - good idea to stay in. Ice is the worst.
      Those are two very good 'food groups' I agree!!!!!
      You are welcome

      Delete
  8. Baking is always done here on those dreary days. Nothing cheers a person more than the smell of fresh bread, or a cake in the oven.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. Baking - the wonderful smells - and maybe a little Christmas music playing - all is good!!!!
      Blessings

      Delete
  9. No bake cookies are one of my girls' favorites. I saw a variation on Pinterest that placed a Hershey's Hugs kiss in the center. My Aunt Oris made the peach pit/cobbler. Being southern, she said it was a quick dessert for unexpected guests. I used to make it a lot and called it Aunt O's cobbler.

    Supposed to warm up some next week for a few days and then back to winter weather. Monday is the shortest day and then we gain a few minutes of daylight each day (which I find very encouraging!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh neat idea on the cookies.
      It is a great dessert and so easy. Old timey - you helped prove that!
      I am excited about those extra moments of daylight - now that gets me excited!!!

      Delete
  10. Another favorite and easy dessert is a wacky cake. Makes good cupcakes too. Several times the girls would announce that they needed to take a treat to school or a meeting. Wacky cake to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love quick and easy ideas. I remember coming home from school to homemade goodies!

      Delete
  11. No snow here as yet, but I love your suggestion of baking its my favourite place to be in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a little - nothing like some places got. So many goodies come from the kitchen this time of year.

      Delete
  12. Oh, easy cookies!!!!! Yesssss!!!!!

    Greetings from the "North Pole"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been ages since I made the no bake cookies and they are soooo good. When Sarah was still home, she and this one friend made those all they time. And a lot of times they would have to collect the ingredients from both homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made any in quite while either. I love them too.
      That is cute - when you want something - you want it - even if you have to acquire the ingredients from all over!

      Delete