Happy last Sunday of 2020! My goodness, this time next week we will all be learning to write 2021!! I am still getting used to writing 2020. Oh such problems we have! LOL!
We had some lovely temps this week - then we had deep frigid temps. It dropped almost 40 degrees in one day. We went from the low 60's to 20's. YUK. But on a positive note - the daylight hours will now start growing longer!
We had the coldest Christmas day in 16 years. It didn't get out the the teens that day. We barely had a dusting of snow - but we did have snow. I know many got a lot of snow.
I had a quiet holiday - had lunch with a friend on Christmas day. The day at brother's got postponed do to someone being exposed.
Today I have a niece and her family coming in town. I am so excited to see them.
- I took advantage on warm day and scrubbed all the watering holes and birdbaths outdoors. (Birdies sure are loving the heated birdbath these cold days)
- Went out and finished getting a couple little things I needed and got all wrapped
- Delivered my brother's children's/grands gifts to his house - so they could pick up and have on time
- Ran to the bank while out and got gas for the Blazer. That is maybe 3rd or 4th time I put gas in vehicle ALL year!! Needed less than half tank EACH time.
- Got myself a pretty new wall calendar for new year while out (kitties - go figure)
- I got a huge surprise in the mail - a refund check from the IRS w/interest (!!!) for 2018. I still don't understand that - as Glen did those taxes and he was always correct - but it was a really nice size check for over payment. I RAN to the bank with it!!!!!! (I did get a notice last winter - but didn't think it was real). You just never know what is scam and what is not any more!
- Washed the front door glass (full glass door) while it was warmer
- Moved furniture and did a deep sweep and clean (that took most of a day)
- Finally baked 2 kinds of cookies
- I received a gift in the mail from a friend across the country - so unexpected and appreciated. My sister-in-law gave me a 'special' extra gift to bring home as well.
- While out doing errands - I treated myself to a treat (my gift to me!). I stopped at the drive thru of Long John Silver's and got take out!!! I have been craving Long John's for a while. 2nd time for takeout ALL year! Merry Ho-Ho to me!!!!!!
- Went to a friends for Christmas dinner. Nice to sit and have someone to chat with. Sent me home with some cheesecake and sliced ham!
- Got word the family wanted to come up today on Thursday - pulled out everything I needed to feed them from pantry and freezers. Will have a nice meal and snacks - no extra expense!
- Doing all the normal things we all do - using leftovers, cooking from scratch, laundry, cleaning, etc.
Meals this past week:
Leftover mac n cheese and added leftover corn and a can of tuna
Sausage gravy (from freezer) over toast
Chicken tender sandwich w/lettuce & sliced radish
Leftovers in the frig
Dinner at friends
Grilled ham and cheese sandwich
I have the crockpot going already with BBQ meatballs and mini wienies. Everything else is ready and just needs heated. Made 3 lbs. of hamburger into sloppy Joe - have cheese slices and beef stick. Crackers and chips and cheese dip. Pickles and olives. Tea and pop. Have slider buns and small tortilla wraps. Cookies and goodies.
Everyone comes and just eats all afternoon - whenever and whatever they choose.
It sure is nice to have a deep pantry and freezer!
I hope you that celebrated had a nice Christmas - whether quiet or together - we keep our loved ones in our hearts. If you and your family are healthy - you got a blessed gift. Our greatest gift is just knowing we have God with us each day.
I wish you all a wonderful week and will be back on Tuesday!
May you all stay healthy, safe and frugal. Blessings from my humble little home to yours.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
The new year is a good time to start at the beginning and start reading it all again!
Glad to hear you have had a nice few days and that you were able to see so much family. We are in hard lockdown here so visiting was very restricted.ReplyDelete
I have one friend in my bubble and Christmas Eve we went for a two hour drive to see all the lights. It started to snow just as we left so that added to the magic - in fact we got about 4 inches and it's our first white Christmas here in the city for a few years now.
I had Christmas breakfast downstairs at my friend's and then she came up about 4pm for dinner at my place. While it was lovely to have company, it was odd having someone in my place - no one has been in since March - except for a quick visit form the plumber a few months back.
Otherwise it was phone calls and emails to catch up with people so it was a very quiet holiday.
My apt. is clean, there's lots of leftovers in the fridge and I have books, Netflix and Amazon Prime for entertainment - so lockdown is not so bad. I may even get outside for a walk this afternoon!
Enjoy your time with family but stay safe and healthy,
So far haven't seen much in the way of family - but will get to today. Nice you got to see the lights and have your friend over. How nice on a white Christmas.Delete
I am very cautious - but no way can I say no one has been here since March!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Enjoy your time with your Niece and family. It sounds like you got lots of yummy food to enjoy! We were invited for a Christmas eve family gathering but we did decline as there was going to be 12 people there and we are old. Anyway on Saturday we got a call from our Niece telling us that her Daughter tested positive for the virus. We are so glad we did not go as now there are 12 people on quarantine, 4 families. Our Christmas day was pretty quiet, had ham, cheesy potatoes and sautéed fresh green beans, berry pie and gingerbread cake. It was all good and low key. We are taking the tree down today kinda sad but we need to get it back in the box cause Butch is moving stuff from shop so we can have the shop wired and insulated. Enjoy your day, and God Bless!ReplyDelete
Bummer on the family testing positive - you had good instincts. These people all work for doctors and govt. facilities where they get tested ALL the time and on a regular basis. I feel pretty darn safe.Delete
Oh bummer on taking the tree down. I will probably leave my little bity up till NY - then down. It is always nice to get things back to normal tho!
Your dinner sounds good. Low key is f=good too!
Thank you my friend - blessings
Your menu sounded yummy! A deep pantry is such a huge asset. I am saving your menu for when our oldest son & family come next summer.ReplyDelete
It was a hit - they all loved it. It was a good time. Super easy and lots of leftovers.Delete
You certainly get a lot done in one day! Woohoo on the tax refund check. Extra money is always welcome. Your sleep socks match your cute nightshirt. We had street tacos on Friday and we sent part of it home with my daughter. Visited with my Texas family via Facetime. My oldest sister-in-law died on the 22nd at the age of 87 and her youngest son has COVID. He has already had several heart attacks and a stroke. Did get some good news....one of my other nephews had successful double lung transplant. We take blessings when and where we can get them.ReplyDelete
Glad you got to visit with face time. SO sorry for your loss of your sister in law.. Prayers her son gets well from Covid and has a mild case. How wonderful on the transplant!!! May that be successful in all ways.Delete
Yes mam, every single blessing is HUGE!
Blessings to all.
Glad you had a nice Christmas, and the refund is a real bonus. Hope those who were exposed won't contract the virus.ReplyDelete
So far so good. I think they will OK - they were masked and sanitized immed. Just basically found out in the same room (my gr. gr nephews teacher! of all people). Hopefully they will be fine.Delete
It was very nice and a JOY to see the kids.
I am so happy for you, having people over, and score not having to buy anything.ReplyDelete
It was fantastic - a real treat for sure!Delete
Enjoy your visit with family.ReplyDelete
We are entering another phase of regulations now, not as bad a lockdown as some parts of the country, or overseas but enough that it was a good thing that the boys managed to get home when they did. One is still here and will more than likely be leaving on Wednesday.
I had a great time - thank you. We have regulations here to follow, but no lockdowns. Glad you still have a young-in at home visiting! Stay safe.Delete
It sure sounds like you had a good meal for family! So good that you got to finally see your family.ReplyDelete