Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Practicing What We Preach

 There are so many ways to be mindful of our funds and to be mindful of the earth.  We truly need to practice them each and every day.  If we take care of the small things - it makes it much easier to take care of the bigger ones.  
There are so many simple ways to have a wonderful life and save money as well.  
Here are just a few reminders!


1.  Use dish towels and cloths and cleaning rags vs. paper.  We throw away so much money!

2.  Refillable, washable food containers vs. baggies.  Glass is wonderful and even Tupperware and plastic containers - but they all need to be useable over and over.  Heck, I do use baggies once in a while - they do have a place in my home - but many times I wash them and use them over and over.  Even vacuum seal bags - I trim and reuse.  I guess the only ones I don't reuse are the ones with poultry in them.  I even scald and wash bags from beef with soap and vinegar.

3.  Reusable and washable drink bottles/glasses vs. bottled water and plastic restaurant glasses.  I have several insulated glasses that I use.  They are great.  I have different size ones that I have received as gifts.  They keep items cold and keep bugs out (when outdoors).  I do have several individual pop bottles that my neighbors had and gave to me - I fill them with water for the frig and for the future.  They are heavy and can be reused many times.  Pop bottles can also be used for dry food storage.

4.  Drink tea, Kool-Aid, juice, water vs. pop.  These options are so much cheaper and can be made in preferred flavors and with or without the high sugar content.  They are also better for you!

5.  Take your lunches to work vs. eating fast food.  Eat those leftovers or take a sandwich and fruit.  If you like chips - buy a big bag and fill up individual serving containers.  You can easily save $35 and up a week doing this.

6.  Store brands vs. brand names.  I know this is a stickler for many.  If you really pay attention - many, many store brands are made by those brand name companies!  They are the same just different labeling.  I know some are not and do taste differently.  Maybe that is when you need to make your own product instead of paying high prices!



7.  Make coffee at home vs. going to fancy coffee shops.  You can make it as strong or weak as you wish, you can add whatever flavors you wish.  You can add milk, cream, special milks, etc.  You are saving a ton of money making it at home and you are not adding to all the throw away cups and refuse.

8.  Meals at home vs. eating out.  Home cooked meals are always better than restaurant.  You can 'hack' recipes and make your own.  You know the sanitary conditions of your home - restaurants are just scary!  Many are so nasty behind the scenes.  You know what is in your food. You can control seasonings.  So many benefits.  You can also make snacks and treats.  A slow cooker - crockpot or Instant Pot can be your best friend, especially if you work.

9.  Wash cloth, water and mild soap vs. baby wipes or even TP in a pinch.  I know when I was a little one, there was no such thing as baby wipes.  A damp cloth and a bar of soap in an old bread bag, was common when out traveling/visiting.  The big TP fiasco of 2020 had people scrambling for TP and freaking out.  My goodness, never did I worry (I did have plenty), but I knew I could simply wash myself if necessary.  

10.  Plan trips vs going out every day.  Planning trips is just smart - it uses less gas.  Plan your trips and try to plan a route that allows all to be completed using the least amount of gasoline.  Don't go out running every day just to be running.  Stop at stores or shops on your way home from work.

11.  Reuse and recycle vs. buying new.  So many things can be used for other purposes and remade into new things.  Just because something rips - doesn't mean it isn't good.  Mend it.  If something breaks - fix what you can.  Do not buy one-use items.  Just be mindful.

12.  Use LESS vs more.  Using less is pretty much a good thing with all items.  I use less shampoo, dish soap, laundry soap, soft soap, chemicals by watering things down.  They work just as well if not better!  Eat less food - you lose weight, it stretches food, saves money, no new clothes do to gaining weight.......... you see where this is going!  Use less throw away items.  Use less, whenever and where ever you can.  It is better in so many ways.

We all know so many great tricks to keeping our funds and to being a better citizen.  USE THEM.
If each and every person is just a little more mindful of all that they have - we can take care of a lot of additional problems.
PREACH IT and PRACTICE IT!

28 comments:

  1. This is so true and little things can save soooo much. I often think about the cost of iced tea from the drive-thru or when I DO eat out vs. what it takes to make it at home. In the summer months, I make a large pitcher and keep it in the refrigerator. I've been able to get a box of the large family-sized tea bags for roughly $3, and use 3 for a large pitcher -- I make mine strong and leave the bags in for much longer than directions typically say. Rough calculation, an entire pitcher costs me maybe 35 cents??? Definitely under $1.00 (the MINIMUM cost of a single-serve at the drive-thru). And, I can make DECAF, which you usually can't get in a restaurant or fast-food drive-thru. Throw in a single serve flavored tea-bag or two, and I can easily mix it up.

    Lots of people tell me that I should get a Keurig for my coffee, since it's just me. I'm good with filters and grounds and hate the waste of all those pods. I'm not a fan of flavored creamers, so I usually do a mix with half regular and half flavored grounds. With my coffee maker, I use the "strong" function when making a half-pot (6 cups). Any leftovers usually go in the microwave the next morning, while a new pot is brewing or, in the summer, into an ice cube tray for use with iced coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same with tea. I make decaf and can jazz it up with a flavored bag. So cheap!
      That is pretty smart on the coffee. I have heard you can get reusable pod containers - and use your own coffee. I don't drink coffee, so not sure.

      Delete
  2. Okay, so I went thru your list and I do 2,4,6,7,8,10,11 & 12. How cool is that! Usually when I am reading a list like that, I get maybe one. Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO - good for you! That is fantastic - you are ahead of the game!

      Delete
  3. I use store brand all the time. At the start of month i buy the protein and im not worried about having the same food two days.
    I only have myself to feed so if i dont have something... well I'll have something else
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use an awful lot of store brand too. I can eat leftovers no problem and can easily change out the menu in a few moments.
      It is sure a nice feeling!

      Delete
  4. We do all of these things! I would hate to have to switch back to paper napkins after 25 years of cloth. They are small and scratchy and pretty much useless unless you use 2-3. We even take cloth on picnics and pack them for when we go to our house at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. Cloth napkins are so nice - a little more work - but nice.
      Good for you!!!!

      Delete
    2. I take cloth napkins when we plan to eat our fancy hot dog lunch at Sam's. They have weenie little paper napkins that I usually make a bigger mess with! People look at us oddly, but at least I don't leave there with mustard and sauerkraut stains!!

      Delete
    3. Great idea! Who the heck cares about the looks? Pretty smart and saves your clothes and keeps trash out of landfill!

      Delete
  5. Very good post as usual. Once our homeschool group took a tour of a sugar factory...In one area they had another brand label on the bags being filled coming down a conveyer belt. Haha!

    My favorite cold drink during the day is made with one hibiscus tea bag and two peach cellestial seasonings tea bags. It makes an entire pitcher and is delicious! We sweeten ours with stevia individually if we want it a little sweeter.

    I heard that the man who invented keurig doesn't use it himself, it's too expensive! Haha! Even if I were by myself, I would just make a few cups in a regular maker, that is what my mil does. I make a big ol' pot and have a ball refreshing my coffee and sometimes have hot teas in the afternoon, chocolate mint, peppermint and all of that jazz...

    You seem so content, it's nice just coming over. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See - isn't that something? So many different brands are just the same. It is pretty amazing.
      You daily drink sounds very tasty. I really love iced tea - especially flavored.
      Now that is funny - too expensive to use!!!!

      So glad to have you visit! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. You know I do almost all of these things. But such good remeinders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need reminders from time to time. It is too easy to just go the easy route!!

      Delete
  7. I do most of these as well. Just makes sense as the saying goes "A penny saved is a penny earned." I like knowing my little savings add up to big savings. Thanks for reinforcing those tips.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true. If we can get used to doing all the little things, it makes the bigger ones easy as well.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Love the reminders - we do most of these, too. Another to add that I do is cut up my dryer sheets into quarters or fifths. You really don't need a whole one - it's wasteful. Just a little bit is enough to remove any static & give a nice light scent to your laundry!

    I also love to shop thrift stores! I find so many great things for a fraction of retail!

    Who doesn't love to save money?!? Thanks for all of these little reminders/tips, Cheryl!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES - IF I use dryer sheets at all - I cut them up. I usually use vinegar in my rinse water.
      I do love thrift stores and yard sales. Haven't been to any stores for a couple years and only one sale. Maybe this weill be the year!
      You are welcome! Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Lots of good ideas and your readers have good ideas also! Cooking at home and eating at home is what we usually do. If we do go out, I get water with no ice. Saw a YouTube video about the amount of feces found in restaurant ice. Ick! I remember the days of packing a damp washcloth with a little soap into the diaper bag. When my oldest was born (almost 50 years ago), there were disposable diapers available but they had to be pinned on. I used cloth diapers for both my girls and when they were potty trained, the diapers were scalded and made dandy dusting cloths. There is a fellow on YouTube who talks about how bad things are and how much worse they are going to get. He talks about how expensive clothing is but I guess he doesn't consider shopping at the charity shops. Watering products down or adding water to get the last of the shampoo (or other product) out of the bottle saves $$. The Meijer brand products are generally very good. The Great Northern beans were not quite as good but could be doctored up a bit. I had a dollar off coupon on Meijer ground beef and used it on a marked down package. Win win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real diapers were the thing. Many used diaper services, but my Mom never had that privilege - she cleaned them herself.
      So many ways to save that so many people never think of. We waste so much product, by not getting it all out.

      I quit watching all those types of YouTube because they have nothing positive to say. Just doom and gloom. There is ALWAYS positive. They use their titles as click bait to gain watchers - thus make money.
      I have my own ideas, and I don't need their gloomy attitudes.

      Delete
  10. I do most of the things you do to save money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great list, Cheryl. I do all of them except for number 7 and that is because I don’t drink coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't drink coffee either. I guess that could go to buying pop or other drinks, while out and about.
      I just take my own!

      Delete
  12. How did I miss this yesterday? So much going on, I guess. Like your other readers, I do all of these, too. Have been for quite sometime. Simple savings sure add up, don't they? --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed add up. Life is just as good, maybe better as well.

      Delete
  13. So true Cheryl! I do all my errands and shopping on one trip. I do not want to be out of the house everyday or I would never achieve anything. Fuel costs are rising we have to think smart. Driving around lot to save 50c isn't going to pay it is just stupid. We have examined portion sizes especially re meat and cheese. When I look at it this is how my Nan did things... cloth napkins through to make your own everything! They knew how to be so frugal and live well. Now I am beginning to understand what they went through and how they learned to be so careful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our ancestors were pretty smart and economical. They knew how to stretch the last bit from everything. So happy that I was taught a lot of those things, and have been doing them for years.
      I think when you are used to doing the frugal thing, it doesn't hurt at all when the time comes that you need to.
      I do the same when going out. One trip planned. Gas is very pricey (although it has been much worse in U.S. before). We need to be vigil and just keep the track!
      Thanks!

      Delete