Sunday, February 27, 2022

Weekly Wrap-Up 2/27

 Happy Sunday!  Here we are at the end of another month.  This one was definitely our winter!  We did great until February came - then winter hit.  We have had a lot of rain, snow and ice.  I am done with that now - thank you very much!!!  LOL
I am sure it isn't done with us though.  This coming week is something to look forward to for my area.  Predictions of sun all week and temps in the 50's!  YES!

I noticed the other morning when I went out at 5:45AM (it is dark) that birds were singing and chirping away.  It was lovely.  That is a sign of good things ahead. 
Blackie has been home for going on 5 days!  Guess he has decided to chill for a while.

I have for sure noticed that weather has everything to do with my mood and motivation or lack of it!  It was proven in force this week.  On the days the weather was nice and the sun was shining, I got a lot done - even if inside.  On the gloomy, cold and icy days - I was a bust!  Weather is my catalyst!!!
I hope this makes you smile like it did me.  A sweet look towards spring at the end of a dismal month.

This last week we had a couple, three decent days - then came the rain again and then the ice.  It seems every Thursday of Feb. we got some sort of system to come through and disrupt things.  I had a lake form again this week, and an ice rink. 
I look forward to a week of dry to dry out the messy yard!

My week:
  • Changed out the tablescapes from winter to more spring looking items
  • Got to air the house on 3 days
  • Took down all the winter decor that was on doors, flags and such outside and changed everything to spring decor
  • Paid all bills on hand
  • Making a list of spring/summer projects to do
  • I don't believe I ever finished fall cleaning!  I have started doing spring cleaning now
  • I am organizing and decluttering so much
  • Working on new bags/boxes for donation
  • Been working on the 'deep' pantry long - life items I have stored.  Arranging and doing inventory - just to make myself aware of what all is here
  • Saved a plastic lid from peanut butter jar - they fit pint mason jars for dry storage
  • Saved a jar from instant coffee mix (I only use in morning drinks for mocha flavor) to use for making up dry soup mixes.  They are the perfect size and no losing my canning jars!
  • I had to make a run to Big Lots this week.  My iron of 30 years + finally bit the dust.  I bought myself a new one - not something I use often - but needed sometimes!   I also needed lithium batteries for my scales - knew they would be cheapest there.
  • No grocery shopping at all this week.
  • Went out on a nicer day and picked up trash (from blowing) and more sticks - the wind has really whipped a lot this week
  • Using what I have and cooking from home.  Doing all the normal stuff
Meals this past week:
Open face sloppy Joe and cauliflower with cheese
Beef hot dogs and cheesy poofs
Small steak with mushrooms/gravy and steak fries
Mac n cheese (w/salsa added) BBQ mini wienies from freezer (holidays) and apple sauce
Fish, leftover mac n cheese and salad
Fried rice
Poor man's Swiss steak and mashed potatoes
                                                    Fried rice with veggies and egg
I seldom eat steak - but came across this in freezer.  I cut in half and used one with some mushrooms and gravy sauce.  Tasty for a change.  Pretty darn cheap - for a steak dinner (1.50)

How was your week?  Are you ready for Spring?  It is just 3 weeks away according to the calendar!  I am sure nature has something different to say about it!!  LOL
Did you get any good deals this week?  Spring cleaning yet?  Love hearing from you all.

Prayers that you all stay safe, healthy and frugal in this coming week.  Blessings from my humble little home to yours.
*********************

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them: for it is Lord your God who goes with you; He will not fail you or forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made to God.  And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Lord, when send our prayers for the peoples of the Ukraine and for all men and women of the armed services and their families all over the world.  Prayers that peace comes quickly and prayers that the evil one is stopped.  May you shield them all with your loving and protective embrace.  Amen

28 comments:

  1. We are in winter w/temps ranging 9-40F. I've done some sewing of quilt tops and a LOT of reading. I met a friend for Happy Hour on Thursday-my only time leaving the house. I don't at all mind being a homebody in this 3rd year of retirement. :-)

    I haven't been to a grocery store in 23 days and don't plan to go until Thursday. I'm trying very hard to go once a month! 3w of fresh foods and 1w from the freezer/pantry.

    Have a Blessed Sunday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle you are doing good! I don't mind staying home - as long as I get my bum busy!!!!
      Love you are stretching the grocery visits!
      Have a great one!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like we are on the same schedule of sorts, starting to switch out the decor to spring, I'm doing little by little and am down to a few vintage Christmas cards in my bathroom and one little wintery Precious Moments.

    Love those scripture and your heartfelt prayer! Yes and Amen. I agree in the name of Jesus.

    I appreciate you! God bless you Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady wins the race - so they say!!!!!
      I thought the scripture seemed fitting. Thank you.
      I appreciate you all so much.
      Have a great one!

      Delete
  3. It has been very cold here in the mornings and the sun comes out in the afternoon but the air is still very cold. So I agree when it's this kind of weather I get nothing done either. It's been at least a week since we have been able to work in the yard. Looking forward to warmer temps. Our carpenter guy got started on my shower last week, we are waiting on a tile piece for the bottom now. It didn't come in yet. But it's coming along nicely and will look nice when done. We have been eating from the freezer/pantry here also except for last night we ended up having pizza. Shower guy was here past dinner so we splurged. It was good! It's raining out there now. So maybe some sewing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear the shower is coming along well. I bet it will be so pretty. Heck a spurge is in order now and then!!!
      I may be able to get outside a bit this week - but still isn't time to do a lot.
      You can keep the rain this week - I am so over it! LOL
      Have a fantastic week!!!!

      Delete
  4. It is so cold and raining here in the South today but it gets warmer everyday this week and Thursday it is supposed to be 75! I'll take it!

    We are praying for those brave Ukrainians, those Mothers down in those tunnels with their children and the Dads up on the streets fighting for their freedom.

    Our only shopping was the discount grocery stores this week and our favorite find was Magnum Almond ice cream bars 4 boxes for $5. We maybe buy them at the regular grocery once a year because they are expensive. I love ice cream when it is cold outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 75 is wonderful! Yes.
      It is such a sad and horrible situation. God bless them all.
      What a deal! Those are super expensive. I would have stocked up!
      Have a good one

      Delete
  5. As always, I LOVE your thoughts, verses and prayer for Sunday. And YES, it's so nice February is wrapping up. Where we are had a snow storm mid week. Unfortunately, that meant a delay to break ground for our house foundations.

    It wasn't an especially frugal week at all, though we got what "bargains" we could. For example, the propane tank: we ordered refurbished (fully warranted) to save money. We also ordered a large storage shed, a wood pellet stove and some furniture. There was a BOGO discount on the furniture, it's in stock and they'll hold it for us. Because we're travelling, we have the "free" breakfast in the morning and just one more meal during the day, with snacks in the hotel room. Our son (his home purchase here closed this week) got food poisoning, so hasn't been eating for the past few days. GOOD urgent care here, gratefully.

    Have a blessed week! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the house got hung up for a day or so. Once it all gets going, it will fly. Sounds like you are truly looking for the deals. That is good. Some weeks don't seem frugal, but those big deals mean a lot.
      Hope you son feels better quickly!
      Thank you! Have a great one!

      Delete
  6. It has been mid 70s and sixties until it is 40! But, spring is definitely here.

    PB jar lids will not give you and airtight seal. Put at least an old Ball lid on the jar and then use the pb jar lid for a tight seal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice temps. Not looking for airtight - just extra lids for some dry storage or for gifting things. Saves a few pennies!
      Thanks for the tip

      Delete
  7. Our weather has been much the same as yours. Today is in the 40sF but very windy. Saw our first robin last Sunday and the first crocus blossoms Thursday. I anticipated the season a bit and tried to walk on the trail one fairly warm day. The trail conditions were poor to downright dangerous with lots of mud and ice in places. Think I'll wait a couple more weeks to try again.

    Tried to file our taxes, but TurboTax is having some sort of software glitch that won't let me file. After spending 15 hours working on the problem, I finally called TT and got my money back. Tried H&R Block online, but their interface is very clunky and they said we owed over twice as much to the state, so I don't trust their numbers at all. I guess I'll try TT again later this week. I've used them for 6 years with no previous problems and would like to be able to continue to use them.

    Am making stew in the crock pot today. Many of the ingredients, including $9.99/lb stew beef, a sweet potato, white potatoes, and an onion, were free in the Tuesday food boxes recently. Using free hot dog buns to make garlic bread to go with it. Got a restaurant-sized can of black olives free, so I'm going to package them for freezing.

    Went to Aldi for perishables last week. They were better stocked than I'd seen them in a couple of months.

    Was given more Project Linus fabric a couple of weeks ago, so I've been cutting out quilts. Have been reading Charles Dickens lately. I'm surprised that I actually like his books. Doing lots of genealogy, making some surprising finds, and correcting numerous errors. My grandmother had worked from some information she had been given by an elderly relative many years ago, but his memory must not have been very good, as a number of things have been contradicted by actual certifiable sources.

    Went to the St. Vinny's thrift store that is near the Project Linus workshop and bought three tops and a book for less than $10. Wish it were closer, but it is about 20 miles away.

    I'm hoping for a slow, quiet week this week, but every time I say that it doesn't turn out that way. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer on the taxes. I need to call and make an apptmt. The place I have gone since being on my own - is a few blocks away - decently riced - and catch any weird stuff. (there was a lot first couple times after G's passing).
      Genealogy is a lot of fun but it sure can be frustrating at times too!

      How wonderful on all that free food - and a great way to use it. Glad Aldi was a good visit.
      It is very muddy here as well. I am still waiting my first robin - hopefully this week!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  8. Spring is coming. The greenhouse next door has started planting. It is always exciting because that means we are closer to warm. Of course I am also excited when it looks like autumn is coming too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are wonderful seasons! Yes, it is coming and it will be here soon. I am just impatient!!
      I just love everything coming back to life.
      Have a nice day

      Delete
  9. Oh that pig is so ugly cute! I am ready to change my seasonal decor too. I got a lot of spring cleaning and decluttering done in January but not so much in February. Hoping March will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well March will be starting like a lamb in my parts - hmmmmmm.
      I love the piggy - it sure made me smile!!!!
      Glad you have a lot of cleaning done. Have a good day

      Delete
  10. The little piggy is cute in the flowers. I changed out my snow decor for more spring like items too, though I know it will be many weeks - regardless of what the calendar says - for spring to reach here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just brightens the day to change out the winter decor. I love spring looking things. It may not get here for a while - but I can bring spring cheer to my neighbors and myself!
      Have a good one

      Delete
  11. We are very very stormy in Ireland. The wind would nearly lift me of my feet.
    I have a robin in my garden all year round. Every times i go out it is there.
    Our home heating oil is getting so expensive. It went up by $55 in one week. I dont know how families will be able to afford to buy it. I have a woodburning stove so dont use oil that much.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are getting stormy weather. Just a few miles south of me - they enjoy robins all year. I guess they consider that south! As mine leave!!!

      OUCH on the heating oil. That is a huge increase. I do believe some things will get worse before they get better, sadly. Glad you have an alternative.
      Stay safe and have a nice week

      Delete
  12. Excellent Scripture choices and your prayer is very timely. Some would say that all these events are hastening the end times. It is horrifying what those people are going through although the Ukrainian people are not taking this attack lying down.

    Your steak dinner was a bargain! Love buying stuff that is marked down and either eating that day or freezing it in portions. We got some stew meat from Fresh Thyme that they run though the tenderizer like cube steak. Super tender and yummy. Going to fix salmon patties, mashed potatoes and peas tomorrow for lunch. The chickens have started laying again so we have plenty of eggs. Maybe an omelet one day with hash browns.

    Boy we did have the wind and rain this week. The Urban Farmer had a hair cut and beard trim Friday morning and it took a while to get rid of the ice on the van.

    Glad Blackie is staying put. The girls need him to protect them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is horrible for the Ukrainian people. I do not believe we can hasten what God has set. We can just make the time miserable but I don't believe we can hasten it.

      Your meal ideas all sound so tasty. I do love a bargain. Makes life a little more fun!
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  13. Prayers for the people of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am praying for Ukraine and its people. It is so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete