Sunday, February 6, 2022

Weekly Wrap-Up 2/6

 Happy Sunday all.  Boy, this week went by quickly.  It has been quite a week for many.  I hope you are all warm, safe and healthy.
I went from warm temps to zero in a few days.  We started out Wednesday in the 50's and ended it with an ice storm and snow starting!  Things sure can change quickly.
I ended up with about 10" of snow and lots of drifting, all on top of ice.  

Friday, I got the day started as normal and then went out to shovel.  Came in and discovered I had NO water.  Hmmmm - I checked the bathroom - same.  I went downstairs to make sure nothing had frozen - all OK.  I did see a gas truck go by with its lights flashing when I was shoveling.  All of a sudden, neighbors started calling "do you have water?"  "What are we going to do?"  Really people??
I had brought up several jugs of water from basement to use for flushing if necessary or to wash hands.  I also have plenty of wet wipes.  I just stayed calm and figured it would all work out.

My neighbors were freaking out!!!!  I asked each one if they had looked outside.  Well, yes.  Do you see all that snow?  Yes.  Well go out and get some and melt it!  Use that to flush or whatever.  This will not last forever!!!!  "Oooohhhhh - I never thought of that".  Oh my goodness!!!!!

I guess the gas crew hit the water main and it broke.  They had it fixed in just a few short hours.  We ALL survived!  LOL!!  I just had to laugh at all these grown adults panicking.  No one just stopped to think for a minute.  Such is life today!
A 5* morning and yet that bright orb was rising in the sky, giving us hope and beauty on a frigid day.  It never fails us.  The sunrises have been so pretty.

The kitties sure do not like the snow!  Where does one go potty Mom?  They do not get the concept of a litter box (just used to outdoors).  So Mom shovels pathways and spots!!  Mommy cat has used her special spots and Fluff likes to follow a path and go under the shed.  Blackie has been coming up from and using a spot in the flower bed or under the ramp.  They are so funny.  They have their heated beds, and the greenhouse has been much warmer than outdoors - so they are doing good!

My week:
  • I mentioned earlier, that I went to Lowe's for a few things.  I got a new heater for greenhouse (2), a new long handled ice scraper (keeping in the house), extension cord, batteries, etc.
  • On the warmest day - I cleaned and scrubbed all the water bowls for animals
  • While out - I stopped at the bank drive through and cashed a check I received back in Dec.   I hadn't been that direction until this week.
  • I cleaned up limbs and sticks out back.  The squirrels have been nuts attempting to rebuild or build nests.  They had the yard (under the trees) covered with limbs they had removed and dropped!  My trash bin was half full of them.  They have also torn open a cushion that I leave out on a chair (Blackie likes to lay there in the sun) and have been pulling out all the stuffing.  They are a hoot to watch.  So industrious!!!!!!
  • I refilled all the feed bins with stock I had on hand.  Feeders were all filled
  • I follow a neighbor on Wed. to the car shop.  He had to drop car off for repairs, so I brought him back.
  • I have shoveled, shoveled, and shoveled!  Then I ate and ate and ate!  That shoveling makes one hungry!!!!  LOL - have spent a lot of 2 days shoveling
  • I made a nice big pot of chili - several meals and froze balance
  • Made a batch of drop biscuits
  • Yesterday, I went out and cleaned ice and snow (as much as possible) off the greenhouse
  • I have been doing all the normal things - laundry, cleaning, cooking, using what I have
  • Nothing spent on groceries this week - did not even attemot to go
Meals this week:
Chicken and dumplings and green beans
Sausage gravy over biscuits
Red beans/rice with meat, biscuit and salad
Chili with crackers/butter
Chili with biscuit
Cheesy, tuna, broccoli mac and salad
Chili, cheese and ranch baked potato
SNACKS:  Banana milkshake, fruit, nuts, leftover beans & rice and cereal

How has your week been?  Did you get bad weather?  Have you managed to get all dug out?  Did you find any good deals this week?  Hope you are all well!!!!
I pray that each of you are safe, warm and healthy.  I hope your upcoming week is lovely and blessed.  Blessings from my humble little home to yours.

                                                              Something to ponder!  Amen! 

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.  To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.
Proverbs 21:2-3

31 comments:

  1. Cheryl, you always manage to have a full week for which you truly seem appreciative. These were some of the highlights of my week:
    * A snow angel offered to do snow removal in my driveway/yard with his quad mounted with a blade. There's been so much snow this winter. I just get the snow removed and another dump comes. More snow removal is on the agenda for today. It's good exercise & I get to enjoy the outdoors.
    * My currency is cookies so I whipped up 4 doz chocolate chip cookies for my snow angel. I also made and decorated Valentine sugar cookies to mail to my granddaughters.
    * I had a massage.
    * I enjoyed a bowl of soup & a scrabble game with a friend.
    * My "fuzzy" head didn't morph into full-blown vertigo.
    * I tried a new recipe - chickpea kale curry over spaghetti squash.
    * I'm into the 4th season of the Downton Abbey series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful on the 'angel'! That is just lovely. I like your payment as well! I would move snow for cookies!!!
      It sure is good exercise and FREE as well.
      Oooohhh a massage sounds heavenly.

      Glad you got to enjoy some time with a friend. New recipes are always fun to try - and our computers and TV's offer lots of free entertainment.
      Stay safe and well!

      Delete
  2. Lol on having to tell them to use snow to flush their toilets. Things we take for granted that others should know. You are the lady of wisdom on your street!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I know. I was thinking my goodness, we are surrounded by 'tons' of frozen water and no one can figure this out!!
      Sometimes you just have to laugh.
      You can't make this stuff up!!!

      Delete
  3. LOL! Common sense has gone out the window never to return! We had rain, rain and more rain. Everything is well watered! The only shopping we did was a run to the discount grocery. A case of cottage cheese cups was $1, 50 cents for Garden of Eatin tortilla chips, Spice cake mix .75, jumbo bag of ready to bake frozen biscuits for 2.50, and everything else that I have forgotten now. Two grocery totes full for $9.25. Love that store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that store as well. WOW - you got some great deals.
      Yes common sense has gone on a walk-about!

      Delete
  4. I'm laughing, too, Cheryl! Few people today were taught how to manage when conveniences (like clean, running water) are temporarily unavailable. I'm thankful for my grandparents who made sure we knew about practical solutions. Glad you could "teach" your neighbors!

    It's been a very eventful week for us. We have a new contractor! Yay! And He can start work before the end of this month. Meaning we have a move date and have secured a moving company, which isn't easy right now if you're leaving CA. Turns out a Bay Area family is moving to NM and we'll be on the way in AZ, so it also halved the usual cost to be packed AND moved. For your readers, don't forget cash payments (if possible) can also bring discounts; our contractor is adding a few things--culvert, gravel drive, etc.--at no extra charge. I'm humbled and so grateful I could weep. It's been a LONG wait. BIG answers to prayer this week. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY - that is wonderful news. The best!!!! I bet you are beyond happy.
      Yes indeed, cash can speak loudly at times!!!!

      I have to just laugh - because really it is so sad that people my own age do not know these things.

      Delete
  5. Glad they got your water back on quickly! We had a water main break last year- no snow on the ground then, sadly!- and it took about ten hours for the repair to be completed. That was a *very* long day!

    We got a good seven inches or so of snow this week, which included a snow day for my daughter and husband, so that was nice! We're dealing with some school system issues that may affect my daughter's future education and may push us back to homeschooling, so that's going to be our biggest issue this week. Whatever happens, we're prepared. Have a good week, everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were out only about a half of day - so not too bad.
      That's a good bit of snow - glad they both got snow days! It can sure be dangerous for something so pretty.
      I hope things get worked out with the school issues - but it sounds like you have a plan either way.
      Have a good one

      Delete
  6. I did run out yesterday to return the vinyl planking samples, and dropped by the $ store for a few things, but other than that no shopping this week. That's a win for me.

    As you know we have lots of snow, more expected tonight. I'm tired of shovelling and tired of winter but that's nothing new.

    I did laugh at the thought of your neighbours fretting about the water main break. Even if you didn't have snow, I'm sure there is water available elsewhere. Where there is a break like that here, that goes on for an extended time period, our city brings in water for the residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have tons of snow - I feel for you. I am glad ours just comes now and then!!!!
      There are stores everywhere, and close by - and we all know people who don't live on this street - so we could get water.
      It just amazes me.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good week, Cheryl. Even if it was cold and snowy. 10 inches is quite a bit of snow. How funny that your neighbors didn’t think to melt some for water. I have scrub the pets water bowls on my to do list for today too. They get so dirty being outside. That was very nice of you to take your neighbor to drop off his car for repairs. It’s good to have neighbors who help each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I shouldn't complain - because things could always be snowier and colder!
      People just don't think any more!
      I have some nice neighbors and we all try to help each other out.

      Delete
  8. We ended up with 1" of rain, 1/4" of ice, a layer of sleet, and 3" of snow followed by a couple days of bitter cold. The power only flickered a couple of times. Today the sun is shining and temps are in the upper 30s, so I been outside clearing the porches and (carefully) shoveling the driveway. Put down some ice melt, too. Haven't been anywhere since Wed (before the storm) and don't need to go out until Tuesday. I did start the car a couple of times to keep the battery charged.

    Lots of quilting, reading and genealogy. Making chicken noodle soup for suppers this week. Received a nice baguette in the free food box, so I'll make garlic toast to go with it.

    By the way, should one find themselves without flushing water (and no snow to melt), clear the water from the toilet bowl and line it with an appropriately sized garbage bag. This can be removed and tied off for disposal. Not the most glamorous solution but will work in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it didn't get as bad as it could have in your area. Bad enough.
      Sun (even in the cold) can sure melt a lot of ice.
      Your soup sounds tasty.
      I had my bag ready!!!! Just in case. Great minds think alike!!!

      Delete
  9. There used to be this funny video online about dependent people (not physically, just so used to being rescued). They were on an escalator and it stopped. They were looking around and asking what to do. Some yelled for help.
    Lots of truth in that little joke. It reminded me of some family members. They'd go to Walmart when they got their welfare check and buy junk. Then, they'd call me to borrow money because "it's an emergency.". And when I said no, I was a bad word. 35 yrs. later and the same emergencies happen monthly. I told them that Einstein said that the very definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. "I know, but this is a real emergency!". They don't get it when I tell them that money isn't the problem. Sorry, just a little Sunday soapbox.

    Now we have slush! The roof meltoff revealed a loose tile as the snow blew under it and it left a ceiling spot. Just one though so we'll take care of that before spring rains.

    We cooked a turkey yesterday and it made for a delicious dinner. Turkey sandwiches today will taste great, too!
    We, us and the doggy, slept like rocks!! I froze some gravy, too so we'll have some open faced sandwiches in the next few weeks. Those always remind me of sharing lunch with my Grandma at the Woolworth lunch counter. I was only 5 or 6. I miss Woolworth. That was such a wonderful little store. It was a mini Walmart without the steroids and weirdos.

    Hubs ended up with 3snow days. That made for a 5 day weekend. We got some small office projects done and gathered our tax stuff. Always happy to have that done.

    That's about it. Hubs was giving blood today (I do doubles every 4 months so this was an off month for me) and was going to the market for a couple of good deals afterwards. His donation will also net a $10 Amazon GC, which is quite a nice surprise! Sadly, I think it's because donations are very down due to Covid. My nurse friend said the hospital she works at is very low.

    Alrighty, good week to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - oh the story. But so true. I have heard that story as well - yep the saying "you can't fix stupid" is sometimes very true.
      I have know people like that as well - and they just can't get it that they have the power to change things.
      Glad you got some things done. Sorry about the leak.

      The turkey sounds so good. I always like cold turkey sandwiches and Manhattan's with the gravy.
      Thanks for donating!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  10. Stuck on an Escalator - Take Action. That's the funny video I mentioned. It's on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The storm didn't end up being as bad as first expected - thank goodness because we are still inundated with piles of snow from the last storm! By the way - this one came up from Texas, not down from Canada :-)

    Made one trip to the grocery store this week for a few things and there were no empty shelves - including lots of meat, turkey pieces and chicken. I bought lots of chicken thighs on sale. I cooked up a batch of the thighs and ate them for 3 nights with different veg to accompany. Another meal was liver and onions and then a couple of big salads with falafel balls and hard boiled eggs as the protein so a very easy week of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about up from Texas. The cold we got from up north - but the storm was from the south!
      You did good at the store. Nice to get so much meat.
      I haven't had liver and onions for years!
      Your meals sound good!
      Stay safe

      Delete
  12. You sure had a busy week, Cheryl. You got more snow than we did-somehow, by the grace of God, we were spared a big drop this time. However, it has been REALLY REALLY cold. I am OVER winter! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been some super cold days and nights! Glad you didn't get a lot of snow. We have been spared all winter, until now - so I guess it was due!

      Delete
  13. So cute that your kitties have their own routines! They have personalities just like humans.

    Guess we got winter after all. It actually wasn't too bad in the big scheme of things. We didn't clean our vehicles off and the sun melted most of it. The Urban Farmer did use the snow blower and made short order of the driveway and the area in front of the mailbox.

    Cracks me up..."just melt some snow". Makes you wonder just how prepared folks would be in a serious crisis. Some people only buy what they need for a few days. Last year when Texas was hit hard, Zoe's job was to collect snow that could be melted for toilet flushing. They are having snow and cold temps again this winter.

    Miss Mona mentioned her "fuzzy head". I have attacks of dizziness and hadn't had any for a while but have had to use Dramamine twice in the last week. Weather changes and the barometer seem to affect the problem.

    Take care. You are a good example to all of us and your neighbors could learn a thing or three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got all cleared easily. My blower has seen light of day in 5 years - will probably need an overhaul now!

      I think most people are not prepared at all. We seem like a big group here and there are many other groups - but I believe the majority of people don't have a clue.
      It amazed me WHY they all called me!

      Delete
  14. One idea to save you time. If your bank has an app (and you have a phone that has apps), you can deposit your checks by taking a picture of your check with your phone. I rarely go in the direction of the bank, and it makes it really easy to deposit checks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't - but I have heard that works well. I just have a flip phone. I wanted to cash it anyway for some extra cash on hand.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Well just being prepared never occurs to some people, and some people like panic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you are right. Some thrive in chaos!

      Delete
  16. LOL at the coincidence; if you have been following my comments on past posts, you'll see I mentioned us having well troubles today and our preparedness. Neither of us were too panicked when we figured out we'd be without water for the next 18 hours. We were prepared and could adapt with the help of neighbors too.
    When TP was like gold last year; so many people panicked. I just told them if it does really run out; we'll just use flannel wipes and wash them like cloth diapers. So many thought I was out of my mind and that was such a gross idea. I wanted to ask what their idea would be? :)

    ReplyDelete