Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Pantry Prep - Protein

 We all know the price of meat continues to rise each day.  So much has gotten to the point that it is tough for many people to buy it.  Meat seems to be our biggest source of protein.  We do have options!!!!!
Today I will give you some ideas on how to keep protein in your diets, even in the worst times.

We garner protein in other foods as well, that many people do not think about.
Milk products
Green leafy veggies
Beans - all kinds
Oats
Nuts and nut butters
Eggs

I have a good stock of canned meats on hand.  I have not canned them - but they are shelf stable.  I am still finding some decent prices on buying canned meats.  I think many people think - eewwww - but every item I have tried has been good.
Chicken, beef, pork, corned beef, ham, tuna, salmon, ham pieces and not shown Spam.  There are all kinds of options.  Look around and add some to your pantry.  It can still be purchased for a decent price.

Here are some other options I keep on hand.  Protein powder is always a smart thing to keep.  You can get plain or flavored.  Peanut butter powder, nutritional yeast (not the same as baking yeast), and egg replacer.  Egg replacer is for use in cooking and baking - not just eating.  I also have butter powder that I keep for those 'needed' times.
Sure these all have 'best by' dates on them - but they last for a long, long time on the shelf.  Something would be better than nothing.
Also think about keeping powdered milk, or evaporated milk or shelf stable milk.  These can all be subbed for drinking and cooking.

Beans of all sorts are great sources of protein and can actually replace meat.  I keep all kinds - canned, home canned and dry.  I have everything from plain old green beans to fava beans.  Beans, peas and lentils are all good sources of protein.  They can be eaten as is - added to soups and casseroles - made into 'burgers' and served with any number of other foods.

Eggs can be frozen for future use - when you find a deal.  I have done this often.  I like to freeze each egg in a muffin tin and when frozen - remove and place in a freezer bag.  Great for cooking and baking.  I have heard of folks dehydrating scrambles eggs for long term storage as well.  I have not tried that yet.  You can also buy dehydrated eggs from some of the long-term prep places.

Leafy greens are a good source of protein as well.  You can get a small amount of protein from a lot of veggies - we just don't think about that.
Even oatmeal contains protein.  It is easy to store oatmeal long term.

I try to keep several jars of peanut butter (other nut butters are good too) even though it is just me.  It can be eaten on a sandwich, alone, with fruit, on oats, or used in baking.  Many, many uses.  It sure would keep you from being hungry!

IF you find meat on sale or marked down - BUY IT!!!!!!  Get what you can, at a price you can afford.  Freeze it, can it or just eat it.  Prices won't be going down anytime soon.  Take advantage when you can.

Now is the time to get that protein in the pantry.  I think about what is going on in the world right now, and any shelf stable protein would be a HUGE welcome sight for many people and could be taken with them on the road.

We are so blessed in so many ways!!!!  We all complain about prices of gas and food and about everything.  At least we can feel somewhat comfortable knowing our young people don't have to hide in bunkers and we know they can be fed and safe.  We have warm beds and shelter.  Some things are far more important than money!

Prepare and plan BUT always be thankful for WHAT you DO have!
Blessings for a great March!!!!

26 comments:

  1. Comprehensive list of protein sources! Freezing eggs is a good idea but I've never done it. Our girls are laying good again so that is something to consider.

    Have you thought about making the cats' food? When we were at Meijer last week, the pet food shelves were almost bare, which is unusual for the store. Fresh Thyme had ground turkey on sale so I got 2 pounds, browned it and used one pound for food and froze the other one.

    We are definitely blessed beyond measure! Saw a thing on Instagram this morning about the folks who are rescuing animals in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about making cat food and probably would if needed. I always keep a ton of tuna on hand too.
      I buy cat food wherever and whenever I see it!!
      Good going on the turkey.
      Yes we just can't comprehend how blessed we truly are. Blessed are those that help children and animals. So kind of them rescuing the poor pets.

      Delete
  2. I think we often forget to take into account all of the protein we consume over a days' time. We already had two sausage patties and a small glass of milk with our pancakes this morning and that is a good half of what we need for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ae very right. It sure does add up. We need to eat less than we do and much smaller portions - but easier said than done!

      Delete
  3. Funny, I just made salmon patties for dinner the other night. They were something my mom made occasionally when I was a child but I don't recall I ever made them for my children. My son did not care for them, and I thought he might not so the lonely hamburger that was in the freezer took care of him.

    Peanut butter is one of my favorite sources of protein. I start most days with a half a bagel topped with peanut butter, along with fruit or a hard-boiled egg. Other days I make a one egg omelette to make a breakfast sandwich with a bagel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love salmon patties. Mom made them and so do I. I also use tuna on occasion as it is milder. You son might like that.
      You do great - peanut butter and an egg. Great way to start the day and have energy.

      Delete
  4. Let's not forget cheeses (hard, soft, and shredded), and dried meats such as salami, pepperoni, etc. Long lasting, refrigerated, frozen, and some are shelf-stable. There are lots of people who home-can meats, so they have a shelf-stable supply available that is not reliant on electricity, refrigeration, or freezer. I tend to use cheeses in my cooking and retain a good supply. I also keep tuna and canned chicken in my pantry, along with cured meats and peanut butter (crunchy for sandwiches, creamy for baking, and a separate jar of creamy "natural" for the pup's consumption in treats and spread in his Kong. In my old house, I used to keep large mason jars with dried beans and peas on display atop my cabinets. Just mix up your colors to look appealing in your kitchen. Great for display, but also can be used for additional pantry storage, and supply can be used and rotated with other goods.

    NOTE: I have a cranberry nut bread recipe I want to make (bought some when I was in Florida and have since found a recipe I can adapt) and had to order a bag of malted barley flour via Amazon. None of my local stores here in Chicagoland that usually stock it (checked more than a half dozen nearby) had any and none could tell me when their next shipment was coming in. I asked on my NextDoor page and a neighbor commented about Ukraine being a major supplier of barley, which could be a factor -- and I'm sure it will be, going forward. Just as an FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I home can meat and the beef I have on the shelf was 2.99 a pound, the chicken was .89 and pork was .89 a pound. Those prices don't even seem real now.

      Delete
    2. Lori - of course cheeses!!! I guess I figured mentioning milk - that would be included. I would never want to be without cheese - it is something I eat a lot. I have quite a variety on hand all the time. Sure those dry meats are wonderful. I forgot about that - I have a big bag of pepperoni and a really big bag of real bacon bits.
      I hope you find the flour you need. I wouldn't think Ukraine problems would have caused a shortage so soon. Must be something nt a lot of people use! (?)

      Delete
    3. Lana - get when you find it. We still have great deals on chicken around here. Once in a while chicken breast for .99/lb. and several stores have been having deals on 10 lb. bags of chicken legs/thighs for .49 - .69/lb.

      I got ground beef a couple weeks ago 1.99/lb. - but other beef is stupid high. Find a deal go for it - it is just money in the bank.

      Delete
    4. Cheryl, All those meats were boneless and the beef was eye of round roast.

      Delete
    5. Lana thank goodness you weren't having to pay for bone!!!

      Delete
    6. I bought "All Trump" flour at the Amish store. It is barley flour, and I use it 50/50 in making bread.

      Delete
  5. Great tips!
    I've never had a problem with buying canned meats. I like Spam (in moderation because of the sodium) and actually prefer to make chicken salad with canned chicken.
    I don't eat eggs by themselves because I just don't like them but I do need to follow your example and freeze at least a half dozen to have on hand when I cook.
    Commercially canned meat will never taste as good as fresh meat but when a chuck roast is six or seven dollars a pound and split chicken breast is almost four dollars a pound I can certainly make do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I like Spam now and then. It is a good way to have eggs on hand just in case! I could make do with a lot of things I am not crazy about IF I were hungry!!!!
      This girl could eat beans and rice for a long time and be grateful - if that were all I had!

      Delete
  6. I just bought enough peanut butter to restock my pantry with a sale at Krogers and Flashfood at Meijer. I love that chicken too with chicken salad ..so easy! I have never frozen eggs before I'll have to do that when the girls start producting too many.
    I'm kind of funny I like to buy canned meat better than canning it myself. Longer shelf life and it's a good price.
    One of the first things besides their safety that I thought about was did they bring enough food for down in the subway. They definitely needed ready to eat food like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you on stocking peanut butter. It can still be had for a good price. Eggs are so easy to freeze.
      I haven't canned meat - it scares me. Store bought does have a good shelf life and it is good. Still a decent value.

      I have heard some speak that they had food for 2 weeks or more - hopefully they won't need it that long! Here's hoping!!

      Delete
  7. Great info. I am cutting way back on meat for on meals. Just too expensive. But I try and make treat to make up for it. Hub's is a carnivore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us love meat - but it should be a side, not a main course! We all eat way too much of it.

      Delete
  8. Yes Cheryl, we have a lot of those tins here as well and in my stock. I cant do without beans in tomato sauce or eggs. My two favourite things.
    My cousin /friend is very good at giving me her leftover veg. It's very handy as I live on my own

    I must tell you that today was like a late spring day. It was so lovely butvi dont think it will last sadly.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, glad you had a lovely day to enjoy. We did too - but like you said, it won't last!
      It just makes good since to have some tinned meat on hand. Just in case. Nice that your cousin shares. Makes things easier for sure.

      Delete
  9. Hormel's Roast Beef and Gravy is delicious and cheaper on Amazon than in the store, about half price. I love salmon croquettes, what we call them. I use oats for the filler and eggs for binding. They are full of protein. I have frozen eggs in little two, four, or eight ounce Ball jars, depending on how many I wanted to freeze for different items I cook, like 8 ounces for the five eggs for a pound cake. I beat the eggs first and then pour them into jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roast beef is delicious and I have found the pulled pork is wonderful as well.

      That is neat to have them in different sizes for what you cook. I have never used jars in the freezer - that has always scared me.

      Delete
  10. Great post. And that's a great idea, putting eggs in a muffin tin and freezing them. Do they still taste the same coming out of the freezer? I love, love corned beef and could eat an entire pan full by myself but have to be careful cause that stuff is loaded with fat. But yes, it is definitely shelf stable. And yes, I am definitely grateful for everything I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yes, the eggs fry up and taste great. I usually break the yolk before freezing, so eggs are great for fried eggs or scrambled or for baking. I have never noticed a change in taste.
      I like corned beef with cabbage and on a Rueban sandwich. Two of my favorite meals!

      Delete
  11. Hi Cheryl,
    love the blog. look foreward to it and all the tips and info. Ive always stocked and prepped as we live rural and dont have the shopping choices that some people have. I freeze eggs and havent has a problem with them. I usually put 6 per qt freezer bag. flatten them out so they are able to stack them before and flash freeze in refrig. then place in freezer.I do whip the youks before freezing.Good for cooking, quiche and baking. 1/4 c. per egg = 1 lg. egg. I will try your way as my girls are doing about 2 doz per week now and they are just getting started. have a wonderful day. Pat

    ReplyDelete