Sunday, March 20, 2022

Weekly Wrap Up 3/20

 Happy Spring to everyone!  I hope this finds you all well and safe.
Yesterday sure didn't feel like spring.  It was rainy, cold, gray and just plain icky.  I don't think I did a thing - was just that kind of day!  Today - sun is shining, birds are singing and it is supposed to get in the 60's.
It looks like the forsythia will pop open in the next few days.  The trees are getting buds and you can actually see that mist of buds on trees in the distance.  It won't be long!
I imagine in another week I will not need a flashlight when going out in the morning to feed the kitties.
Heck - I put away the snow shovel, the ice melt and my boots!!!!  I am done with old winter!!!!!


The kids moved yesterday - that also made it a sad day.  Little one (4) and I got to hug and share a good-bye and she said she would miss me - turn on the tear faucet!!!!  Her mommy said , she asked her this past week if Chero was moving next door to the new house.  Aahh.  I will even miss Bandit - the dog.  They have the keys till the end of month, so I will see them and we have ways to keep in touch - but it is still sad.
                                                       And just like that - they are gone.
Dang I hate change.  I pray I get good neighbors again.  In the 36 years I have lived here, I have only had 3 different neighbors in that house.  It is really scary now that I am here alone.  

My week:
  • I did go out one day and got all stocked up at the feed store.  I was about out of everything.  I was pleasantly surprised that no prices had gone up in the past couple months.  I also got my onion sets while at the feed/garden center.  I also got a free bag of birdseed with rewards
  • I ran into Kroger which is across the street from the feed store.  I added 56 cans of cat food and 2 bags.  I found a nice sized corned beef for $8 for the freezer.  I also got some romaine lettuce and a cabbage
  • I froze 4 ice trays of milk that was just about at it's end.  Great for my morning drinks
  • Took the old tarp off the greenhouse and trashed it. (It is for shade).  It was on for a couple years and had seen better days.  I put a new tarp up so it looks nice and the kitties have shade!  That was a lit of stretching - boy am I getting out of shape!!!!!
  • Cleaned out greenhouse (rugs & swept) and aired and took trash out from garage and got one of the water barrels out.
  • Line dried laundry
  • Worked on my sedum beds at the side and front of house - cleaning them out.  I picked up sticks out back, and worked on the big flower bed a bit
  • Had 4 days and nights with no heat!  Aired out house
  • Fixed my back gate - so it is easier to latch (only needed done for a couple years! LOL)
  • Helped the neighbor get the top on his patio gazebo.  This old chick got a lot of stretching and climbing exercise this week!
  • Set 2 neighbors up for a give-away.  One had couch, stereo and TV stand to get rid of and the kids (moving) needed  new furniture.  Saved one from hauling off things and another from having to buy!  It pays to know what is going on!!!!!
  • Found a package in pantry for chocolate muffin mix.  Made it up and added chips and had 12 muffins to snack on all week
  • Deep a BIG clean in kitchen.  Under the sink base cabinet - under the frig - and moved and cleaned under the wash stand/micro stand (it weighs a ton).  Cleaned and polished cabinets
  • Using freezer items this week.  A piece of chicken breast - fileted in half for sandwiches, chili, veg. soup, corned beef from new years
  • Doing all the regular things
Meals this past week:
Chili mac topped with crushed chips
Chicken filets on leftover biscuits
Veggie soup and grilled cheese
Baked cheese dip and potato wedges
Corned beef/cabbage and mashed potatoes
Dirty rice made with added grnd. beef and beans and a salad
Burritos using leftover rice mix and extras
SNACKS:  Nuts, fruit and muffins
Baked cheese dip and potato wedges.  Very tasty.  Used leftover over cheese dip in mashed potatoes next day

So there you have it in a nutshell - my week.  Not a lot exciting for sure - but slow and steady work.  Just trying to get this and that done.  I was lucky, as there were several lovely days this past week.
How was your week?  What are you up to and getting done?
Look forward to our weekly check-in.


🙏🙏🙏🙏💖💖
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  
Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though it's waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
Psalms 46: 1-3

As things change in this world, we pray for peace and hope for all.  May the Lord shield the innocent with his protective arms and cease the evil presence.  May we all know and appreciate the joys of each new day we are given.  Amen

29 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I trust you will manage the changes in your neighborhood and hope for good new neighbors for you. An adventure? You epitomize homemaking as you tend to what needs doing. Doesn't it feel good to knock off the to-do list? .I painted the main bathroom this past week; it's been on the to-do list for a few years. I was gifted 2 liters of chocolate sauce that will take a few years to use up. I found a brownie recipe using 1.5 cups of sauce. Delicious. After 2 tries, the plumber fixed the leaking toilet in the 2nd bathroom and didn't charge me for the second visit. Now that tank has all new fixtures inside. I managed to walk 8 miles last week mostly on muddy roads. Temps have been 8C and snow is melting. There have been geese & gopher sightings, sure signs of spring, but I have yet to see them. I did spot a few pussy willows. I'm on a mission to use up frozen leftovers and finished the last of the borscht. Next, saskatoon pie/tarts. Ham & potato salad have been the mainstay for meals followed by chicken lettuce salad. I'm craving pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will manage - I mean we have too, no other choice! An adventure for sure!
      It dose feel good to do odds and ends - even if little - they are off the list. Sounds like you got several off your list - wonderful!
      Mmmmm wonderful chocolate sauce. Yep, using all those frozen leftovers has been my project too. Ready for spring food!
      You make that pizza and ENJOY!

      Delete
  2. Aww... praying more GOOD neighbors are in your future, Cheryl. And yes, the older I get, the harder change is!

    We had a crazy 6 day trip, 9 days now to get ready before movers arrive, and complete change of plans once we move, as the house won't be ready in time. Nor will the storage shed be on the land, although everything is ready for it.

    BUT we are BLESSED. Storage rental units are impossible to come by. There are waiting lists 3 pages long for them. We'd decided we were going to have to try to sell or donate most of our furniture, because our son's house (there) is too small to store more than boxes. As it was, the fridge, washer and dryer were going to have to be on his back porch with a tarp over them. I say "was" because...
    at 11pm the night before heading back to CA, my hubby got an email from a new storage unit company; they had a 20 ft. storage unit available if we wanted it. YES!!! And it's in town! How awesome is that!!!

    It's been a very expensive few months, yet it's going to be okay.
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 9 days left? WOW. I bet you are excited. How fantastic on the rental unit!!!! God is watching over you!
      You have planned for retirement, and this is part of it. You aren't taking that money with you when you leave this earth - so do what you need to enjoy the remainder of your years here! I am so happy for you both!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the new neighbours, hopefully they will be as good as your previous ones.

    I'm looking forward to the days when I can open up the windows and turn off the furnace. It won't be for a bit yet, but it isn't far away now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I am hoping as well.
      Today is wonderful and a couple windows open some - it is lovely.
      Each day is one closer - it won't be long now!

      Delete
  4. I know you’ll miss your neighbors. I hope and pray the new owners will be good ones. Sounds like you were busy working this week, I hope you’re not too sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them already! I hope I get good people.
      Not bad actually, I was tired a couple days - but surprised I wasn't sorer. So much to do!

      Delete
  5. Oh how sad! There are nothing like good neighbors. I pray you get some great new friends next door and you can feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and me as well. I really miss them already. It just seems too quiet!

      Delete
    2. Our neighbors who have five kids are always asking us if they are too loud. We constantly tell them that kid sounds make us happy but they don't believe us!

      Delete
    3. I thought their dog was barking a lot - but sure do miss that sweet yap. Yes, some sounds just fill our hearts.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you good neighbors. I just went thru that last Fall. In a townhome, it is especially important. Although we've only spoken a couple of times (and I can't even remember her name), I got a single woman who is very quiet and keeps to herself. I finally got the cast off my wrist and now to start using it and doing exercises to rebuild strength and mobility, so I've been catching up on a lot of things I had to put aside last month. Groceries today. Got some jumbo parchment muffin papers on the clearance rack for 50% off, and ground beef patties in the MEAT CASE for $2/lb. less than in the packaged section. Small potatoes were BOGO, too. Trying to keep my shopping to every other week or every 3rd week, with prices rising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY glad the cast is off. Don't over do it!
      Sounds like some good deals at the store. WTG
      I would love another single gal or an older couple - only time will tell.

      Delete
  7. Ever since we moved into this house we had the same next door neighbour. We would watch each others homes when gone, and look after each others pets as well. I still miss her, but we got young neighbours who I actually have known (the girl) for years and know the parents as well. So it worked out pretty well. I hope your new neighbours are good as well.

    You had a busy week and made great use of what you already had as well as get some awesome bargains.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate you have been. Best of situations!! I hope for good people too.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Excellent Scripture given current events! I just finished reading Psalms and am now in Proverbs for my morning study. I have a chronological Bible that I read from in the evening.

    Hope you get good neighbors! For the most part, we have good folks around here except the people to the south who let their large dogs bark too long.

    You are a git'er done sort of gal! I don't think there is a thing you won't tackle and be successful.

    Weather for the rest of March looks good. Surely we won't have any trouble in April. It sure is nice to open up the house.

    My "baby" will be 47 tomorrow so we'll take her out for lunch. As old as she is you'd think I'd have gotten rid of the baby belly! ha!

    Have a good week. I meant to ask how your sister is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bandit barked - but only at people he didn't know, so it was kind of good. I miss his little yap already.
      There is plenty I can't do - but I will give it a good try!
      Happy birthday to your baby!!!!!! LOL - that is funny.
      Loving the weather.

      Thanks, sis is doing great. We all have plans to go out to lunch in April for her 91st birthday!

      Delete
  9. I wish I could put my boots and snow shovel away. We are supposed to get 8 to 12 inches of snow starting tonight. The UP is cute like that. Gives us a few spring days and just when we get excited, it dumps a foot of snow on us. I never put away my winter boots and coats until the end of April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy moly!!!!! That is crazy. We might flurries or maybe even a little snow and of course frost is not out of the question - but a foot? I surely hope not.
      I sure hope you don't get dumped on that badly!!!!!! Stay safe.

      Delete
  10. I can just see you on top of the gazebo. We all want a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it wasn't pretty!!!!! The wind whipped up as we started putting the top on it and I thought I might end up in Oz!!!!

      Delete
  11. We are done with winter too Cheryl but I heard that dreaded word in the forecast for the end of the week. It had better be just flurries!
    I'm glad we don't live in the U.P. like the commenter above ..it would be rough.
    You had a eventful week -so busy ..those little things take a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad as well. I am really sick of snow - even though we only had it a couple times this winter. But when we did - well, it was enough.
      Just slowly plugging away on all that needs done.

      Delete
  12. We had beautiful weather on Sunday, too, and I was able to clean up my garden bed. It felt so good to be out in the sunshine and warmth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine and warmth have a way of healing our soul! I love it. Glad you got to get out and enjoy!

      Delete
  13. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 22, 2022 at 8:51 AM

    I could have sworn I posted on Sunday. Hmm. It was a busy week so it's entirely possible that I just think so!! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are here now! Thanks for checking in. Busy weeks are good - they keep us moving!

      Delete
  14. Bit of a slow week here. I've a cold, so I've been resting more. Sounds like you've had a fab week. Hope this week is just as good or better!

    ReplyDelete