Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Doing a Little for Our Part

 Hello all.  I didn't do a special post on Earth Day this year, as I always do.  I actually consider everyday earth day.  We should do our part each and every day to make this world a little better.  Our environment is so affected by us in so many ways.  We over use, over populate, over trash, and sometimes, we under care!
We can all do a lot of little things that will add up and help.  No - it may do a lot for you - BUT if we all do things - it will do a LOT for the globe.
Being mindful is so very important.

  • Do more recycling - try to recycle or reuse all that you can
  • Use more reusables - cloth grocery bags.  Your own drink bottles or cups.  Water jugs for frig.  Filter and use your own water.  Grow whatever you can grow.  Rework things into new things  Just reuse whatever you possibly can
  • Pick up trash where eve you are.  If taking a walk - pick-up any trash you see.  If hiking pick up trash you see.  Go to the park - pick up trash.  Walking through a parking lot - pick up trash.  So many people are so inconsiderate by just dropping things or throwing things out a window - DON'T be that person.  HELP instead.
  • Second hand shopping on all things that you can.  It keeps items out of landfills, it recycles, and you save money
  • In your yard - plant food if at all possible.  Any small things helps.  You can plants root crops and lettuce in flowers beds and no one would know (some places frown on food growing! - Grrrr).  Plant flowers that bring in bees - they are so beneficial to all growing things.  Flowers also attract butterflies!  Never use chemical weed killers.  Chemicals get into our ground and it poisons more that just weeds - beneficial insects, pets, food, etc.
  • Collect rain water if you are allowed or if at all possible.  It is far better for your plants than tap water.  No rain barrel?  Place a bucket or a tote at the bottom of a rain spout.  It all adds up.
  • Think of starting a community garden.  Find an empty lot and plant with the community or neighbors and tend it and all use it. (with landowner permission).
  • Start an area clean-up crew for a weekend or a day.  It is great to get out at least once a month and do a good clean-up - plus it is good exercise
  • Use less paper, plastic, tin, etc.  Take your own container if possible when buying bulk or fruits and veggies.  You can make produce bags out of net or lace - keep those mesh bags you get at the store and reuse.  Use cloth grocery bags.  Visit farm markets and take your own bags.  Buy items in glass if at all possible and then reuse those containers for your storage.
  • Be outside more - fresh air and sunshine are your friends.
  • Talk to others and help them to love the environment.  You can have a simple conversation that is informative - sometimes people overlook simple things they can do.
  • Learn to barter, forage and glean if at all possible.  Helping each other and trading or gleaning from the land - saves additional items from being made into trash or maybe from being wasted.
  • Compost what you can.  Even if you can't have a compost pile - you can use egg shells, coffee grounds, tea bags, banana peels, etc. in your garden or flower beds - natural fertilizer!!!!!!  Any peels or scraps can be blended and added to water to use around plants.  Keep your scraps in an old ice cream bucket or any closed container until using.
  • Look into using more natural herbs and tinctures for medicinal purposes.  Homeopathic medicine can be very beneficial - all I use.  God has put all things on this earth to benefit us.  Do your research. (Not professing stopping meds you need and are currently using without medical advice).  Just do your own research.  
  • Look at nature for food and ingredients.  Dandelions, wild violets, lavender, redbuds, peonies, roses, honeysuckle, clover, edible 'weeds', wild onions or garlic, seeds, nuts, wild grapes, mushrooms, crab apples, young Hosta shoots.................  the list goes on and on.  I will do a post of edible/useful weeds soon.
Gosh, there is just so much we can all do.  Every little thing you  do helps in some way.  Individually we may not make a huge difference - but collectively we can.  We have one earth - that is it.  We need to take care of the resources we have and use what nature provides.  We need to quit polluting and trashing this beautiful planet.

God has provided us with this earth - we owe Him the respect of taking care of it.

26 comments:

  1. Some months back Hubby called the recycle center to ask some questions. He said, 'I am not a tree hugger but I want to ask some questions about what we can recycle.' At the end of the conversation the girl said, 'Sir you ARE a tree hugger.' We still chuckle about that. We do all we can. Our twenty year old compost pile saves us a ton of money every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE IT!!!! I think many of us are - we just don't use those words. We care and we act. Those compost piles are just free fertilizer and food for plants. I keep hearing people talking about 'shortages of fertilizer' - well do something different. Organic farmers don't use commercial fertilizer. We can do this and survive quite well. Probably better.

      Delete
  2. One thing I cannot do is pick up trash when out and about. The idea of the bacteria on it makes me shudder and nowhere to wash hands. (I am a retired OR RN). We don't have a "tossing litter" problem in my neighborhood and for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always keep gloves in my purse. And hand sanitizer. I use my grabber in the neighborhood when walking. Windy days (and we have had more than our share) brings a lot of trash. I can do anything that helps - disposable gloves may not be green - but no bacteria on me is!

      Delete
  3. Hey Cheryl! I love that you pick up the litter,instead of griping about it,but how aggravating is it that people actually throw trash out? It amazes me.i think the campaign " don't be a litter bug" when I was a small kid really took hold.lol enjoying your " chats" as usual,thank you.im spreading compost in my garden right now and sat down to take a break.everything nowadays takes me twice as long to do,but still happy I can do it.have a wonderful day! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are so irresponsible and clueless today. We have had a lot of wind lately - and around the neighborhood, things get blown from trash cans. So many do NOT follow the rules that all trash is supposed to be bagged and put in cans. They just throw it in the can - wind blows lid open - and there goes the trash!!!! I remember those campaigns - we need more of that today.
      Glad you enjoy the chats. Good for you on using compost!!! Natural fertilizer. I hear you on things taking longer! Just grateful I can still get up and go. Each day is a gift!!!!

      Delete
  4. It seems so odd to me that people don't bagged their trash before throwing it in the can. Otherwise, it can stick to the inside if it's damp. Plus I don't want my garbage blowing all around the neighborhood! lol

    I was happy to read your list and see that I do most all those. I think it comes from just thinking about what makes sense. The way we lived our lives as a family over the years has been very green in many respects. I homeschooled so we were home! I reused a lot so I didn't have to keep buying, etc etc. The only thing I haven't been able to do very much of is foraging for wild edibles. I do take advantage of any free food that comes my way (leftovers from a party or event I attend).

    On another note, the Brie I mentioned buying yesterday I discovered that for 2 and 1/2 wheels I actually got it for about the third of the price of one! Apparently, I didn't know how much Brie is! I thought I'd paid the price of one and thought I got a bargain! LOL. Obviously, I don't buy Brie often (or ever! lol)!

    For some reason I can't sign in to my account today.
    ~Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that something has changed on the comments section. Sorry you couldn't sign in normal.
      I agree - I always bag trash. People are just lazy! I keep my trash can back by the alley (where it is picked up) all week. So taking out trash, means walking through the yard. No brainer here.
      Free food is always welcome! I also like to route all my trips in a circle, so as to save gas. It is nice to look back and know you have always been doing your part. Thank you!
      Deal amongst deals on the brie. WOW! I don't know that I have ever bought it - too pricey!

      Delete
  5. GREAT tips, Cheryl! My sons are almost 35 and 29, respectively. I've been recycling and repurposing all their lives. They've never known anything different. When planting roses (which I did everywhere we've ever lived), banana peels, egg shells and coffee grounds were buried in the ground in the fall to break down over the winter, with fall leaves and grass clippings piled on top to become compost. Snow would always melt on those prep-beds first all winter long. Then in spring, everything got dug in before planting and the soil would be full of earth worms!

    I now tell folks, "If God can make diamonds out of coal, pearls from grit, and healthy roses from scraps and manure, imagine what He can do in your life." --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice that you have raised another generation knowing these things. Hopefully they paid attention and do the same.
      Great way to start those plants!
      I love that last sentence. AMEN - truer words have not been said!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Amen! These are great ideas. I often think that if people really loved God, they wouldn’t litter and make things ugly. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. God made this such a lovely place and all humans do is ugly it up. Such a shame.
      Thanks

      Delete
  7. Remember this little tune?!

    Give a hoot
    Don't pollute
    Never be a dirty bird!
    In the city or
    In the woods,
    Help keep Americaaaa....
    Looking good!!

    That was a regular PSA in Cali for ages.
    Debby in Kansas USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure do. Thanks. I see a few commercials about picking up trash - but not many. We have a few crews here in the city that go out - but the Interstates and roadways are horrendous. PS - Our crews are inmates. I think that is a good idea (for low offenders), at least they are doing something good for the community.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Little Penpen: if you love our Creator, take care of what He has provided! Great ideas, Cheryl. I have seen people throw down a really nasty diaper in a parking lot, and of course masks and disposable gloves, along with the contents of their ashtray in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sickening isn't it? WHY? I ask myself that all the time. I can only imagine what their houses look like!!!!! YUCK!
      It is just pure laziness - nothing else.

      Delete
    2. My mom would have said that they were "sorry and didn't care for nothin'". When the Urban Farmer was a home inspector he saw stuff that would curl your hair. He inspected a house downtown where squatters were staying and using five gallon buckets for a latrine.

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness. Well I guess at least we can say they weren't just using the floor!!!

      Delete
  9. All good suggestions! I do not have a compost bin...not sure where to put it that critters wouldn't be attracted to it. I do try to follow all the other suggestions, however, and use nearly all parts of foods so there is not a lot to compost (except egg shells!)

    I have recycled so many glass jars that I have a whole shelf of extras in the pantry---need to put some in the recycle bin now to make room for other things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone can have a compost pile. I have one - but don't use it often now, because like you said it draws critters. Goodness know I have enough of those without compost out there. I don't have much left, to speak of, but I do try to get creative with it in the garden and around plants.
      I have a huge tote full of extra glass jars. Anybody needs one - I am the go to gal!! LOL
      You do what you can do - we all do. That is what is important.

      Delete
  10. Debby in Kansas USAApril 26, 2022 at 1:58 PM

    I've been a proud tree hugger for my whole life. I just didn't get the fancy name until the 80s!! I was green before it was cool! Back in the early days of it, it was an effort! Recycling had to be taken in. I would drive to the recycling place and they'd weigh the car, drive to the glass section, drop it off, reweigh. Tin section, cardboard, etc. The only one worth any money was aluminum. It took me about an hour once a month. Green cleaners were catalog only. I ordered from Seventh Generation, which is widely available now. It took me about a year to replace all my lightbulbs with fluorescent ones, also mail order at about $20 each!! I took my own shopping bags and clerks looked at me like I was an idiot. I used lingerie bags for produce. Honestly, checkers and baggers would get surly so I often bagged myself. I loved the story about how Seventh Generation got their name.

    I've always said that being Tightwad makes you an automatic tree hugger! The two go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    If you're thrifting, you're saving money and reusing. If you're consuming less, it saves money and packaging. They're a natural pair whether you wanna be a tree hugger or not. It's so much easier now and no real effort is involved, sorta like the Depression!

    Cheryl, I'd love you to do a post that goes into more detail. Your list is great, but specifics are even better. I'd love to learn a few new tricks!! Woof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you are right - frugal and green go together and not just $. They do fit together and one makes sense for the other.
      It is amazing how prices for many 'green' products have come down. Like everything new - the prices used to be ridiculous. I make so much of my cleaners now - I make my own Miracle Grow and I make my own weed killers (for fence rows and such). I don't buy much in the way of chemicals except dish soap, laundry soap, and soap/shampoo. I water all those things way down.
      It sounds like work - but once you do it a while it is second nature.
      I still get looks for my produce bags and for cloth bags. I know many cities have banned plastic shopping bags - so cloth is the thing. Yet I bet they still buy products in plastic containers and bread in plastic bags and meat on styrofoam trays!!!!!! I always wonder about logic. I guess you start somewhere!
      Thanks - I will do more posts.

      Delete
  11. I wish our younger generation would realize now what they are doing. I guess we all have to live and learn, For years, I have had to walk my front yard to pick up trash. To clean the areas in front of my curb. Now, I am older and can't do the yard work so it falls to my son. He gets it now. I live on a very short street that runs to an elementary school at the end, that he attended. I am sure so many of those parents tell their children just throw the wrappers, bags, juice boxes, etc, out of the car as they approach school. Of course myself and many elderly or retired people on my street have to clean up the mess. Would they be happy if we just left it there and let their children think they were going to school in a dirty, polluted and dangerous place. No! they would not but think it is okay to throw out garbage on the way to school. We will continue to keep our street clean but will they teach their children about responsibility to their environment, how to make the world better for everyone. At this point, I think not, and it breaks my heart,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I walk the alley and street every week picking up someone else's trash. Maybe call the school and let them know - not that it would do any good. It is awful how little respect people have for others. I see it every day.

      Delete