Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Pantry Storage Containers - I Do Simple

 Howdy everyone!  Today I want to talk out storage containers that we use to keep items in our pantry and/or long term pantry.  There are many options out there and many that you can buy!!  I do simple and don't really buy a lot or spend a lot of money.  
It may surprise some people - but I do NOT buy mylar bags or oxygen absorbers.  I do not have one of those vacuum sealers for jars (although I wouldn't mind one).  I do have a vacuum sealer for sealing bags (great for freezing meat).

I have always kept desiccant packs from bottles of vitamins and use in many of my storage jars.  I keep glass jars of all sizes and types.  Years ago we used to buy pickles and olives in gallon glass jars - I have all those jars!.  I keep glass jars from instant coffee and those from anything else I might get. 
I have never had a rodent problem, but know many do.  Glass can not be chewed through and it keeps items nice and dry and protected.
I use Bay leaves to protect items from any type of bugger or weevil.  Yes, I do find that they work well.
PS - I throw a few grains of rice in with ground spices and with salt to keep from packing somewhat solid.


I love old canning jars and have accumulated many over the years.  They keep things nice and fresh.  They look pretty too.  I keep everything from pasta to dried beans to instant milk to instant potatoes in them.

I had a friend ask me the other day - about storing pasta - did I do mylar and special tins?  No.  Much of my longer pasta is still in the boxes - Those boxes are kept in baskets or boxes.  I do have a gallon jar with some spaghetti in it - it always has to be broken to fit in the jar.  I have never one time had a problem with pasta.  If kept dry and cool (I keep in a darker spot) it lasts almost forever.
I do have a couple food grade buckets that we bought years ago.  I use for various items long term - but they were purchased to use for a homemade water purifier (I have the filter and spicket as well).  Just not put together yet.

I use old milk crates and even some of the small ones from the dollar stores to hold boxes of different things.  It just keeps things nice and neat and all together in one spot.
Split peas and lentils keep nicely in these type of jars.  I cut out instructions from bag on cooking and throw in the jar as well.

You can see the gallon glass jars.  Labeled with item and/or instructions.  They keep things for ages!!!!  Also you can see boxes of long pasta in a box on a side shelf.  I like using gallon size ice cream buckets as well for various things.  My pantry is dark once the door closes - it is very cool in there all year.

When I get flour - I stick it in the freezer for several days (wrapped in a grocery bag).  Supposedly it kills any bug eggs that may still be in the flour after it is processed.  Yes, I know that sounds just gross - but you would be amazed what is in the food you buy!  I take it out of the freezer and let it set at room temp for a day or two - then I place the bags of flour in totes or in old popcorn tins.
I keep all my sugar in it's bags and place them all in popcorn tins (you know the holiday tins).  NEVER put oxygen absorbers in with sugar - it will become rock hard in no time.  Sometimes mine has hardened a little - just a good hit with my hand (palm) breaks it free.  I don't eat a lot of sugar - but I use a lot in summer for hummingbird feed and for canning.  I keep a good 75 pounds on hand all the time.

I have a couple huge totes that I got after Christmas many years ago.  The kind they sell to store holiday stuff in.  I actually store a lot of packs of dried beans and other goods in them.  I keep so much in jars - then the remainder is stored in it's bags in the totes.  I always throw in a few Bay leaves for good measure!!
Gives you an idea of some of the containers you can get and use.  They are not expensive at all. And it keeps things nice and tidy.  Small blue baskets (in middle) hold Jello and pudding boxes.  Pink and orange hold boxes of different crackers, snacks (chips) and any super cheap mixes I might find.  Basket holds bags of bulk specialty pasta and noodles.  Notice all my tomato products - I feel you can't have enough tomato stuff (does not include all the home canned).
I have several of those small blue baskets in my kitchen cabinets as well.  They just keep many like items organized.

You don't have to spend a fortune to have storage containers.  Mason jars, old glass gallon jars (check w/family and friends), jars from food or drink.  Use totes, baskets, milk crates, and even boxes.
You know if you home has a problem with rodents - and you plan accordingly.  
So many things last for ages and ages (no it doesn't *EXPIRE!!)
* I truly wish the word EXPIRES was removed from the English language!!!!!  It causes so much waste!

It is nice to have like items stored neatly together.  It sure makes life easier when you are needing to know your inventory and it makes it so easy for your cooking pleasure.  If you know what you have and where it is - you will cook and use it more!!!!!  Trust me!!!

So look around your home and hunt for items that would organize your goods.  Check with family and friends to see if they have jars or tins they don't want.  Check with FB marketplace - post a request - you may get all kinds of storage items.  Watch at yard sales and thrift stores (lots of tins).

Get your pantry organized and neat - don't spend a lot of money to do it.  You will never be sorry if you get organized.  It saves you so much money and frustration.  
Happy storing and cooking!!!!!!!

24 comments:

  1. Debby in Kansas USAApril 6, 2022 at 11:21 AM

    I'm going to your house for lunch! I see guacamole salsa and chips!! That's my desert island must-have!!!

    I think I've mentioned before that I sorta kinda hoard glass jars lol. They are just so handy. I recently found Classico pasta sauce on a great sale and I see they use real Mason jars! Naturally they're staying right here! I also have a couple of those giant pickle jars.

    I also like to buy extra measuring spoons at garage sales or wherever for the jars. It always comes in handy to have one inside. I have a Tablespoon inside my Cream of Wheat jar. I also keep the little plastic scoops that sometimes come in coffee. It's usually a standard measurement that I can use for something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of sort of hoard them! LOL
      Glass jars just have so many uses. Even drinks glasses!
      I love scoops and small measuring cups. I have a 1/4 C measure in my rice. Scoop in sugar and flour - it just makes it easy.
      Come on over - I'll serve you some lunch!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love Debby's idea of keeping a measuring spoon in the jar of some items. It definitely would come in handy. Note to self.

    I have one of those narrow tall pantry cupboard - when I had the kitchen redone in 2013, I added pull out drawers to the cupboard. What a difference that has meant. I still have two lazy Susan corner cabinets that I keep canned goods on. I'd rather have something else as items do fall off the shelves occasionally. It takes ever inch of my stretching to reach them!

    Jars have become my new go to. It gets rid of all the packaging and makes it easier to see what is in the container.

    By the way, your pantry is far more well stocked than my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love scoops and spoons too.
      It is just so nice to have things in order and organized. Jars are wonderful in so many ways.
      I have about 3 pantry areas - so I am not wanting for a thing. I think I could GET BY for a while! SMILES
      They are always a work in process!!!!

      Delete
  3. I use lots of jars also. I have a cute Mr Peanut glass jar that hold the rice I'm currently using...fun. So handy! I also have one popcorn tin that I put flour bags into. Wish I had more. I really need to get more organized. We do have nice shelves in our garage that the husband built for us. That is where all our home canned goods are kept. I organized those jars in what I call beer flat boxes. Basically what canned goods sit in at Aldi's. That way I can keep like things together and move around more easily. I have several old divided boxes that new canning jars came in that I've kept to store my empty jars. I also use those plastic bins for different items that seem to get lost....gravy mixes, other packet mixes and even spice jars. I am a sucker for spices and spice blends. I keep trying to pull back...?but long ways to go! The schools use a local spice company offerings as fund raisers. Gotta support that. Then when we travel I'm inclined to buy a slice blend as a souvenir....go figure...just what I enjoy. Then I like to make my own blends to give as gifts. Therefore, lots to organize. I suppose I could have worse vices..haha! Sure enjoying all your posts..so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Mr. Peanut - I remember those! Spices and blends are good for so much. Hey, you got to support the school! LOL
      People collect different things when traveling - at least what you get is useful! Not a dust catcher.
      Organization really does help. Get them all together and come up with some kind of system. Alphabetic or ethnicities, etc.

      Delete
  4. Probably ten years ago now we went to a thrift store and there were tons of canning jars there and many were half gallon for only 50 cents each! I bought 50 jars for storage and I love them since many are vintage and even square. We always check thrift stores for jars and often find the gallon ones for 50 cents too. No jar gets tossed out here since there is always a use for it eventually. I will use anything to organize and corral the storage including Amazon boxes, cereal boxes, cut down plastic jugs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky girl. You can't even get a pint jar at a thrift store here for .50. I would have bought every one (gallon) for .50. SO many uses - even for gift giving. I like gifting out the ones I recycle from store bought things - keeping my canning jars.
      Lots way to keep things organized. Sounds like you have have a plan.

      Delete
  5. Last Autumn I made batches of dehydrated soup mix: carrots, celery, onions, leeks, diced red peppers and parsley (I kept the chicken bouillon powder separate). I stored in two one-gallon jars that originally had pickles in them. I made enough to give some away to my married daughters with enough left for refills - many times over. Those jars are so handy!

    Referencing scoops, my Mom kept and used plastic laundry detergent scoops that were inserted into every box of powdered detergent. I'm talking about during the '70's and '80's. She kept one scoop to keep in her Tupperware container that housed flour for baking. So easy to scoop the flour into a measuring cup and level off because the scoop is flat sided. I inherited this container-scoop combo when she died.

    When my girls were learning to cook for themselves, I'd find spoons, and even small measuring cups left inside the containers they were using all the time. I would wonder where all the utensils went to? Then I began to come across some in containers used more frequently. Some, like in the hot chocolate jar, I wouldn't come across until the following year :)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a neat idea on the soup mix. Wonderful gift.
      Oh I remember getting so many neat things in detergent back in the day. Glasses, measuring scoops, dish towels.

      Sounds like your girls had it figured out back then. Containers need scoops!!! Too bad they didn't tell mom! LOL
      That is funny. AT least you always came across them!!

      Delete
  6. I am just like you and actually started saving the little oxygen packs out of my meds after reading about it on your blog. We get 10 of these a month and I just gave a handful to a neighbor. I use old canning jars and any large jar I can get. Those large pickle jars are great! I refuse to buy expensive plastic containers. Plus, I like the country look. It is charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little packets from pills sure do come in handy. I keep them in dark colored vitamin jars until ready to use.
      I just hate adding plastic to my home. More stuff that never goes away! Yes, glass just looks lovely.

      Delete
  7. I keep all my glass jars. I got into that habit years ago. I used them to take cooked foods to my Mom. She was on her own and would not go to the trouble to cook just for herself. I would always make extras of her favorite things, could put still warm food in the jars, pack into a little basket to transport. I use them now for leftovers for me.

    I have a large pantry off the kitchen. I also use a dresser in a spare bedroom for extra supplies. I can take advantage of good sales, keep everything put away and organized.

    You have taught me a lot about building a stockpile for emergencies. I feel much more confident now about everything. It can be a scary thing when you are widowed and/or your children have left home. My sincere thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great idea for using glass for leftovers. You can always see what you have.
      Your pantry area sounds very nice. I am glad you feel better about the future and your pantry. Thank you so much!!!!

      Delete
  8. I use glass jars for taking soup for work lunches, which I can microwave. I didn't know bay leaves keep bugs away. I bought a packet of them a while ago, only to realize I don't really like their flavor! This gives me a good use. Oh, I couldn't store potato and corn chip bags like shown in your picture. I'd eat them soon after bringing them home! No will power at all here! Thanks for the tips! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea for your lunches. No staining or melting.
      Bay leaves work really well for bugs. Add one or two per container or even just put some on a shelf.
      LOL - I do pretty well resisting temptation. I can stretch them out for a while. Thanks

      Delete
  9. I was wondering if you use the zinc lids on your antique jars. I have collected a lot of them myself and use them for a variety of things but not food. At some point someone told me that horrible things would happen if I used the zinc lids. But the research I have done states issues with sealing. So I am at a point that I need to just be brave and try. Thank you for encouraging me without even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use the older lids on some jars that have them. Most of them have a white liner of some sort (porcelain maybe?). I have never heard that. People used to can in them - so I have never worried.
      I would think your food would have to be in direct contact for a looooonng period of time to hurt you. Just my opinion.
      I feel safe.

      Delete
    2. MY information came from my mom and sometimes I just don't questions things. BUT I have inherited a lot of these jars and I hate to have them just store non food items and sewing notions. A few I use regular lids on, but I think I am going to be brave and use them for rice and bean storage. Thank you once again for having a safe place to ask questions.

      Delete
    3. You could always place some plastic wrap over the jar first and then place the lid if you are worried.
      I would use them. You are welcome and thank you for being here. I love that you call this a safe place!!!!

      Delete
  10. A couple weeks ago I put all my dry beans, rice and opened bags of pasta into glass jars. I cleared off a counter in my kitchen and lined them up. So much better than the shelf in the pantry closet! I can find stuff easily. And it looks so nice.

    I've used bay leaves in my dry goods for years. I bought bulk items at Whole Foods about ten years ago and ended up with pantry moths. Ugh. I don't have freezer space, so I use the bay leaves.

    I've used those popcorn tins as trash cans. Now they seemed to be smaller and more manageable so I'm using them for flour and other storage.

    I save lots of sturdy containers. Whenever I need to organize something, I sort through my boxes, tins or jars to find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty to see those lovely jars all lined up. I find I am more apt to use things when I can see what I have.
      Pantry moths are a pain for sure.
      You are so right, those popcorn tins get smaller and smaller. Gosh, they used to be huge! I used them for birdseed as well. They are really handy for all kinds of things.

      Delete
  11. Your pantry looks great! Love using different containers. I save the scoops that come in different products and have several orphan measuring spoons and cups to use in regularly used containers. Why take time to hunt for a scoop or measure when one can live in the oatmeal, flour, nuts, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well home agsin. Lol
    We are all so different in our housekeeping. I find it difficult stockpile. I dont have flour or sugar in my house( except a few sugar cubes for a visitor) i would have cornflour/starch. Most of my spices are paste that last for ages. I get from Chinese supermarket. I do have rice and pasta.
    My only tins are baked beans and tomatoes. My veg are frozen.
    Im a picky eater.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete