Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Getting Creative - Using what I have

 Just a couple items today.  This weekend I had a craving for cheesecake.  I didn't need cheesecake - but it sure sounded like a treat.  I wanted it to be a little different.  I always top with fruit - so predictable!  LOL!
So I got to looking around and going through my stock and I had a brainstorm (for me).  Use some pudding!
So I found an instant pudding mix from clearance I had stuck back in my storage.  It has been here a while.  I had everything else for a no-bake cheesecake.
I mixed the pudding with 1 cup of cold milk (instead of 2 as directed).  Then I blended it with my cream cheese and Cool Whip and a tiny bit of sugar.

I ended up with what I call a Dreamsicle cheesecake.  (it really did taste like that!)  It was darn tasty.  Gave half to the neighbor.   My neighbor loved it.
Sorry I didn't take a picture of the dessert before eating it!
You could use any kind of pudding mix and have a tasty new concoction all the time!!!!!  I am thinking pistachio or dark chocolate next time!
*************

 I cooked one of those clearance turkey breast tenderloins I got a while back.  I ate Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and will have again today and then froze enough for at least one more meal.  That would make it about .70 per meal for meat.  Not too snaggy.
Monday I made my own version of Tator Tot casserole.

Chopped up some turkey
1 - older can (drained) of mixed veggies - had for a while
equivalent to about 1 C of condensed cream of soup
Mixed together and placed in a pan.
Topped with potato rounds (I found when cleaning the freezer) - baked according to time for 'rounds' and then topped with some shredded cheese and stuck back in the warm oven for a few minutes.  YUM!
You could use hash browns, fries, tots, whatever you have.
                                                               I used an 8" round pan.

I also on Tuesday made 'Alice Springs' turkey - instead of chicken. Like you get at Outback Restaurant - my favorite thing I have ever had there.  Sauteed up mushrooms (from freezer), added slices of turkey and covered in Swiss cheese until melted.  Mmmmm, Mmmmmm - good!
**************

OK - here is my last item.  NOT food.
I saw an ad on FB for long garden sleeves - to protect you from poison, briars, whatever.  Now granted you can purchase them in designs (looks like a tattoo when on) - but I have been making my own for years!
22.99!!!!!!!!!!!  Yikes

Mine were the cost of a used pair of socks!!!!!  LOL
I have used old tube socks or baseball socks (very stretchy) - cut the toe area out and you are good to go.  I usually cut mine about at the heel - so they go from wrist all the way up the arm.  Have saved me tons of NOT getting poison ivy and cut by briars.

Here is one of my version.  I have a ton of socks from G - he always wore the long ones - so I have made good use of them.  He is still protecting me!!  You could use women's knee socks as well.

So fear not - you can come up with anything to get creative and save a buck or two!
Why spend good money on stuff we have right at our finger tips?
A little creativity is all it takes.
Have a great day!!!!!


26 comments:

  1. I love the idea of no bake cheesecake. Going to give it a go. I will let you know how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO easy and very yummy! Cool and refreshing every time! Hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. Got a big dose of creativity with this post! We always have old socks in the rag box so those could definitely be used for arm guards.

    Mmmm, love the Dreamsicle flavor. At your mention of Alice Springs chicken, I did a search on Pinterest and saved a couple recipes, including Alice Springs quesadillas.

    I had my hair cut yesterday and the stylist and I got to talking about gardening. She said that years ago she used to cut a farmer's hair and he asked her if he could get a bag of hair for his garden. Apparently he used it to deter the squirrels from digging up everything. She gave him two bags of hair and he gave her a bucket of cow manure for her garden. I brought home a small bag of hair...we'll see how effective it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The socks really do help - it has saved me so many times with poison!
      Alice Springs chicken was my fav thing there. I haven't been since losing Glen (his fav place). So I make my own!

      Cool - what a barter hair for poo!!!!!
      I have heard that helps - my brother has tried it - not sure if he had success or not. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Because I have just had a cast on (velcro on a half molded plastic cast), they give you "sleeves" to prevent chaffing. Hint: If you want to prevent your "sleeve" from riding up, cut a 1" slit about 2" up from the "toe" portion, where you cut it off. When you put the sleeve on, put your thumb through that slit. It will hold the sock in place and give your palm a little added protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip - I will give that a try. I love how everyone shares!

      Delete
  4. How yummy! Must try all three!! Tell me, how do you freeze the mushrooms? I could sure use that here.
    I do the cut off socks when I pick beans or strawberries as the plants make my skin break out. Sure helps!
    Great post...as always..many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply just slice and toss in a bag. That easy. When I want to be able to use smaller amounts - I slice freeze on a pan (single layer) then throw in a bag and I can easily take out what I want. Never had a problem. I like to dehydrate them as well. Get them real dry and place in a jar. When ready to use - throw in a pot of something or rehydrate in a little hot water. Takes no time.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Darn auto correct ...thanks very much...not dry much...geez! Gotta laugh at what it comes up with sometimes I suppose.

      Delete
    3. Now I see it lost my first reply...I thanked you and I guess it went away. Odd...oh well, it is what it is. Anyway, the first reply was autocorrected and said the wrong thing. Oops and sorry!

      Delete
    4. You are welcome!!!! Computers have a mind of their own!!!!!

      Delete

  5. That cheesecake recipe sounds delicious. I will definitely be trying it.

    The tip about the sock sleeves is exactly what I need! I got into the poison ivy over two weeks ago and am still breaking out a little. I am hypersensitive to it. I need to get back into the infested area again to trim trees as soon as the ground dries out enough, so I will definitely be trying that. You're a real lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I can look at the stuff and get it. I used to battle every year with the itch.
      Nice part is - if using old beat up socks any way - you can actually throw them away if you are afraid to launder.
      It really does help.
      Glad to be of service!!!
      The cheesecake was scrumptious and easy!

      Delete
  6. I've made a similar cheesecake, Cheryl, using SF chocolate instant pudding, milk, cream cheese and Cool Whip Light in a (purchased) chocolate cookie crust. Yummy! And I love your idea about the sock sleeves. :-)
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. The last of the leftover Easter ham went into my son's freezer in a 2 gallon zip top with the fat skimmed pan juices. I told him it can be placed frozen into a crock pot at a later date with a bottle of BBQ sauce and simmered all day for BBQ pulled ham sandwiches for a small crowd. He did all the work to freeze it. Guess I'm still training him! LOL!

      Delete
    2. Mmmm chocolate sounds good.

      Good for you. Momma's work is never done! He will love that for a summer party.

      Delete
  7. That is a really clever cheesecake Idea and you could use other flavors. Also great idea for arm protectors, My mom did this with coats for us kids when the sleeves grew too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes, you can do any flavor.
      Great idea for coats. I would not have thought of that idea. Great sleeve lengthener. Thanks for that idea.

      Delete
  8. Debby in Kansas USAApril 20, 2022 at 2:05 PM

    Great idea with the socks! I wish I had thought of that when I used to trim our bougainvillea in Cali!! Those things were vicious, but made an ideal deterrent for anyone wanting to leap into our backyard!! When I taught preschool, we used them on the kids arms if they had long sleeves for easel painting. Sometimes the big shirts just aren't enough when you give a 3 yr old a paint brush!!!

    I made a no bake pie for Easter. Graham cracker crust. Melt some chocolate chips in microwave, stir in coconut, and then stir in cool whip. Into crust. Lg box of cooked coconut pudding with added coconut over chocolate mixture. Then plain cool whip sprinkled with toasted coconut. Fridge for a few hours. I got the recipe from Jello and it's always been an Easter fave. My mom used to make lemon meringue, but I've never tried it. Key Lime is my favorite pie.

    Good stuff today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great idea for kiddos. Yep, big old t-shirts can still let a kid get some paint where they shouldn't!!!

      OK, now that sounds like a Mounds candy bar! Oh my. I would love that - as that is a favorite candy. I can see why it is a favorite. Mmmm lemon or key line would be great too. So many possibilities and calories coming my way!!!!!!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Your cheesecake sounds great! I always keep instant pudding, whipped topping, cream cheese, canned pie filling in my pantry/freezer. There is always something I can throw together when I have a sweet attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same. It is a quick and easy dessert and tastes so yummy. Really not that bad on calories either!

      Delete
  10. We had been having a craving for cheesecake too so we bought some at Sam's club for Easter. I might try your recipe though. I ordered some of those arm sleeves a couple of years ago. They were too tight so they're still in my drawer. We went over to my mother-in-law's one day and my husband's sister had cut holes in two socks and put them on my mother-in-laws arms. I was like "what the heck?" She said it kept her arms warm. It worked too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to make a no bake cheesecake. They are just light and fluffy.
      Another great idea. They would be warm! Get you some socks - they won't be nearly as tight!

      Delete
  11. I make pet toys out of old socks (I stuff them with scraps from my sewing or other old socks) but I will have to remember to use them for sleeves next time I have some that are worn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used sleeves I cut from long-sleeved t-shirts for the sun, but it is the same idea--to save my arms.

    When my wrists were cold, I cut off the tops of warm socks. They were just cuffs under my coat to keep the breeze out of my sleeves.

    ReplyDelete