Monday, July 20, 2015

Zucchini Over Abundance????

It seems that every year either myself or someone I know is saying "what do I do with all this zucchini?"
As of today I have picked over 50 lbs. of the stuff (in one month).  I am not complaining.  Yes, I have 'gifted' a lot to family and neighbors.  I have canned pickles, and plan on making relish.  We probably eat it in some form 5 out of 7 days a week.

In the past I have made and canned 'faux' pineapple, made jam, and made 'mock apple' pies with it. I have frozen for bread and frozen sliced, canned in homemade spaghetti sauce - you name it!!!!
I make a lot of different stir fry meals and sautéed zucchini.  We love cream of zucchini soup.  I even made a zucchini taco salad the other night.  I used just a 1/2 lb. ground beef and added julienned zucchini - then taco seasoning.  That was the 'meat part' and topped with normal toppings.  It was yummy and very filling.
Zucchini 'spaghetti' has become a favorite of G's.  I use the mandolin and cut in slices about like linguine.  It takes no time to cook.  It's great with sauce on top.  We also like it raw in salad, and mixed with cukes and onions in a vinegar/sugar mix.
All this and not to mention - it's HEALTHY!

Here's a couple recipes you might like to try if you TOO have many zucchini to use.

ZUCCHINI JAM
3 C peeled and grated zucchini
1/2 C. lemon juice
1 - 3 oz. box strawberry/peach/or pineapple box of gelatin
3 C. sugar
Bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.  Add the gelatin and sugar.  Boil for 6 more minutes.  Pour into sterilized jars and seal the tops with paraffin. (DO NOT process)

I have never had 1 person realize that this contains zucchini!!!!  I recommend orange, strawberry or peach as, most of those would have some pulp in their jam.  Truthfully you could use any flavor you want.

ZUCCHINI FRITTERS - we had these the other night - YUM!
1 C baking mix
1 egg
3/4 C milk
1 med. zucchini grated (I left on peel)
Mix all together.
Cook in a heated pan or griddle like you would pancakes.  This made 12 - 2" fritters.
Serve with butter, sour cream or ketchup.
Makes a great side dish.

If you have any new ways to use zucchini, PLEASE let us know.  If you'd like the directions to any other method I mentioned, just ask.  I am always happy to share.

Signed, the zucchini guru! (as G calls me)  LOL


This has nothing to do with zucchini - just wanted you to SMILE today!  This is Momma, one of my outdoor kitties.  Isn't she pretty?  She looks as if she's saying "you woke me for this?"
Bye!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the jam recipe. My MIL used to make it with the peach jello.
    Love the picture of your fur baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome. I have made it with peach as well - YUM!
      Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. If the mock pineapple turned out well, would you please post the recipe?
      I haven't any zucchini yet and am hoping the volunteer plant in the mulch pile will yield some...

      Delete
    3. When I couldn't sleep last night due to the heat and humidity, I took out my iPad and looked up dog rescues in our area. The pictures and descriptions were so sad and then happy as one could see the improvements in the animals. It makes me very happy that you take care of your fur babies, indoors and outdoors ones, Cheryl!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of zucchini jam. That sounds really interesting. I have no zuch planted this year. We knew after finding my lump that it would be a busy summer at the dr. office.

    ReplyDelete