It seems that in our neck of the woods the "garden party" is over! We had our first freeze of the season both yesterday and today in early morning hours.
So sad - everything looks so droopy and blah.
The leaves should really get to their color prime in the next week or so. We are to be back to low 70's as highs this coming week.
I had to give in this week and admit that my baby hummingbirds were gone for the season. Took down and cleaned the feeders.
Got a LOT of fall yard work done!
I did manage to get all the tomatoes in - both red and green. Baby cabbages picked as well. So it's all over but the shouting and the rubbish that has to get picked up!!!
- I harvested my thyme and it's air drying
- Picked a total of 27 lbs. of red, green, and partially ripe tomatoes
- I canned 7 pints of sweet green tomato relish
- Canned 2 pints and 5 half pints of tomato puree from all the misshapen and funky looking tomatoes. (Still have plenty for fresh eating)
- Renewed library books on line, so they wouldn't go over due
- Got our furnace checked for the winter under our maintenance agreement. No money output in the fall
So I now have all my nuts for holiday baking! YAY!
I have only had to turn on the heat for a cycle or two 3 days, all at the end of week. Lasts years attic insulation sure has made a difference. The house really stays a lot warmer.
Absolutely no AC - I think it's done till next year.
I have made some really yummy meals this week. I made a small roast and had beef Manhattens one night, then made roast beef hash another night. We have had soup and grilled cheese, homemade quesadillas, burgers and salad, and I made a big pot of 'gumbo like' Cajun soup.
Just trying to get a bit creative and varied with the menu, and I love using what we have to make yummy fall and winter comfort food.
The bazaar was my only outing this week. No shopping or spending! Yay me!!!!
Hope you guys have had a lovely week and have tried to stay on the frugal bandwagon! Let us know what you have been up to.
Have a great upcoming week, and may God bless and keep you all you safe and healthy.