Sunday, November 20, 2016

Frugal Happenings 11/20

Oh baby it's cold outside!!!!!!  It sure feels more like winter than fall today.  We went from record breaking highs to frigid in a 24 hour period!  Friday out thermometer registered 80* and Saturday never got out of the 30's.  The wind Friday night was horrid, we had 60 mph winds, torrential rain, then plummeting temps.  All in a typical Indiana day!

This has been quite a stressful, emotional, and physically exhausting week.  Thursday evening I fell asleep at 9:15PM (something I haven't done in years) and slept till 7AM.  Now it is time to get used to a "new normal" for the entire family.  That is going to take some time to get used to.  Sadly, it is something we all have to do in our lives.

Friday I ran a bunch of errands that I have put off for a while.  I have been doing a lot of cleaning, de-cluttering, and tossing in the past couple days.  It is very therapeutic for some reason!

My frugal week:
  • Exceptionally warm temps meant having the windows open a couple days, and no AC or heat. Love airing out the house
  • Took extra blankets out to the greenhouse for the kitties beds.  Babies got to stay warm!
  • Filled all the bird and squirrel feeders before the cold snap happened.
  • Did laundry in cold water and with dehumidifier water.  Dried some in dryer, most was hung in the basement to air dry (this happened after it got so cold).
  • Hard boiled a dozen eggs
  • Used a $10 off $40 coupon that came in the paper for Aldi.  Used for Thanksgiving specials and more stocking up.  Out of pocket spent was $36.
  • Dried more bread for the dressing bread stash
  • Resupplied upstairs pantry from stock in basement
  • Received a gift card of $50 from a wonderful friend this week.  Note said "when you don't feel like cooking".  Touched my heart!!!!!

Meals this week:
Used leftover meat/bean mix and made 2 more crunch wraps and had with a nice salad
Tuna patties and mac n cheese
Loaded baked potatoes
Canned soup (got home late)
Church sent home dinner for both of us.  Fried chicken and lots of sides and desserts.
Homemade pizza
Dirty rice and chicken strips with side salad
***********************************************************

I have my big old frozen bird in the frig. to thaw, and I have all my ingredients ready for cooking and baking this week.  Most of the ingredients have come from the pantry with the exception of the turkey and ham. 
I am going to keep it pretty simple.  Looking forward to re-using leftovers for many days in many ways!!!   (I will post some leftover ideas this week).

Are all of my U.S. readers ready for Thanksgiving?  Do you have any special plans?  Any unusual or family recipes that will be used?
Hope everyone is staying frugal!!!

May God bless you all in this coming week.  Praying all stay safe and healthy.


 5 WEEKS TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



11 comments:

  1. Such a great friend to have! Your weather did the same as ours the last couple of days. We are frozen for sure. I wish I had made the time to hang out our sheets and blankets for our bed. They smell so good off the line. Have a great Sunday and rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Vickie I have some wonderful friends. I am so grateful for them.

      I love sheets and bedding just off the line. You could always hang them outside dry for a few hours - just to get that smell!

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful surprise and blessing it is to receive a gift card or something from a friend! Our weather has turned burrrr cold here also! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also experiencing the end of our extended autumn, it is chilly here too! We had both coal and wood burners going this weekend because the wind just sucks the heat right out of the house. I did get some bubble wrap to superinsulate the windows so hoping that helps, too.

    I defrosted some large flour tortillas and hope to make some super crunchy wraps tonight for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that you have both coal and wood stoves. I have never tried the bubble wrap on windows, but have heard it works.

      ENJOY your crunch wraps!
      have a great one.

      Delete
  4. 5 WEEKS TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

    I am pretty much ready for t-day, all from the pantry. Tomorrow I'm going to make the pumpkin pie. I might get ambitious and make a mince, all fruit pie. My turkey is in the frig defrosting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! So sorry for the reminder!
      That 5 weeks will go by in a flash too.

      Sounds yummy at your house. Love that we can make meals from our pantries!
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. ((((HUGS)))) Cheryl and I do hope you take some time to take care of you. I suspect it will take awhile to recover and that this Thanksgiving may be a rough one for you and your precious family.

    Our family is doing the big extended family Thanksgiving together potluck style. Our Jaysn and Rachel will be with her side of the family as per usual which I am thankful for since they don't get to see her side of the family that often and I know that it means so much to all of them. :) I am again so thankful to Heather's side of the family that wants to do all the big extended family gatherings...it really touches my heart, especially considering how my husband's side does not want to spend time with any of us anymore. Sadly we have heard through friends that my MIL is not doing well but if they don't want us in their lives, then there is nothing we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie it is so sad that families separate like that. Often no one really knows why. Praying for your husband's family to mend.

      I am glad that you have so many family groups that get together. Isn't it wonderful when the younger generations still want to do that.
      Have a great one

      Delete
  6. That simply ten days after the start of therapy libido sexual preference check has accelerated dramatically. After this, the experiments have been linked by means of the representatives of the human race. quite soon it have become clear that the improvement.For more ==== >>>>>> http://testoupmaxfacts.com/max-testo-xl/

    ReplyDelete