I hope you all had a wonderful day of thanks this past week. I hope you enjoyed family and friends and lots of yummy food.
We are still using leftovers - today what isn't used in soup, will go in the freezer at our house. Desserts have already been frozen for a later date.
I stayed home on Black Friday - there was absolutely nothing I needed bad enough to fight those crazy crowds. I saw pictures on the news of people fighting from different areas around the country. Really? Acting like total idiots for stuff they really don't need (and going in debt for) on the day after being thankful for what we have. CRAZY!!!!
It's hard to believe that we are the last few days of November! Hey folks - 4 weeks till Christmas!!!!
Don't hate me for continually reminding you! I think I am reminding myself more than anything. I need to get busy. I am just not into yet this year.
My frugal week:
- Stayed home for 7 days straight
- Using leftovers and re-inventing them
- I was gifted 2 Pennsylvania Dutch squash by my brother. Together they weigh 15 lbs.!!
- On Friday I made and canned 10 pints of Concord grape jelly from grapes I had frozen this summer (from the yard). It helped clear the freezer a bit too!!!
- 'Cooked' the turkey carcass and got 4 quarts of extra stock. Froze into 'pucks' in my muffin tins. I then placed into freezer bags for use later.
- Froze over half of the cheesecake for later. We ate way too many sweets this week!
- Made approx. 100 small squirrel cookies with items that I had saved back that were stale. (Not wanting to waste or throw anything away). Have plenty of supplies left to make more. (old cake mix, stale cereal, some stale nuts - anything will do). NOTE: The squirrels love them and are starting to take from my hand!
- Went to Kroger Saturday to buy milk and bread ONLY. Did get a box of huge deli croissants (4) on clearance for 1.49. Cooked up eggs and sausage at home and made my own croissant-"wiches". G will enjoy them heated up this week.
- I have been recording movies and programs we never get to see this weekend. Noticed that we have a weekend of FREE premiere movie channels from U-Verse. Taking advantage of that.
- Brought in several of the free jars I received this summer and scrubbed them all. Getting ready to make jar recipes tomorrow for my gift giving.
- Did laundry in cold water and line dried in the basement. (Bonus - adds humidity to the house, keeping it warmer on cold days).
- Stopped at the oldest 2nd hand bookstore in the city on Saturday. I ended up with 6 different publications for $18. I know it's more than many thrift stores - but I love helping out a small business, especially one in our community (just up the road).
I am going by my brothers' old home to pick up a family piece of furniture today. It is a desk and chair that Mom worked a part time job for, as a gift for Dad's Christmas when I was about 3. I have no idea where I will put it (for now in garage), but I don't want to see it get lost or sold.
Meals this week:
Made a small pot of soup from frig. leftovers
Breaded fish, fries and slaw
Leftover fish and slaw
Grilled cheese and salad
T-day meal of leftovers
Turkey Manhattens (YUM) This must be a regional item, as I saw a diner up the road that was advertising them as their special yesterday!!!!!
How was your week? Are you still eating leftovers? Have you made any gifts for the Christmas holiday (or done any frugal shopping)?
Let us all know what you are up too.
COMING THIS WEEK: Jar recipes for gifting - and more!
May the Lord be with you in this coming week and keep you in His safe and loving arms. God bless you all.
I am so thankful for all my blog and FB friends!!!