I hope all are safe and healthy!
We have had an interesting weather week. It got quite warm and humid for a few days this week - actually had to turn the AC on for a few hours on a couple days. We have had a couple nasty storms. We faired well, but other areas of the state had a lot of flooding and even tornados. We had a couple days that were extremely windy - 40-50 mph winds. Couldn't get much done outside on those days.
I see some areas of the country had SNOW again this week. WOW!
It appears that this coming week will cool a bit and we will have some lovely weather. Hoping to get a lot done outdoors this week.
This past week:
- Picked 2 more bouquets of peonies. I absolutely adore that smell. They are now done for the year.
- Boiled eggs for quick and easy meals and snacks
- Made a big bowl of chunky salad. Broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onion, cukes, dressing, sunflower seeds and frozen peas. Was good for several meals.
- Sprayed fence rows and out back with vinegar solution to kill weeds and grass
- Line dried laundry
- On calm days I got to paint some yard art and freshen it up a bit.
- I made a run to my favorite family owned greenhouse to get some plants. They have really cut back (trying to sell out). I got most of my stuff needed for $28. Still need to find a few other things and a place that sells them cheaply. I can't believe how expensive plants are around here, at other places!
- Got a .20 a gallon discount on gasoline
- Got my container garden in - still haven't got main garden done
- Went to Joanne Fabrics to get fleece for the blanket I am making for graduation. Didn't realize they were having a 4 day sale! Fabric regular $24.98 - I PAID $9.98. I also bought a 3 pack of Fiskar brand scissors. Regular price 19.98 - I PAID $11.99!! So I got the fabric and scissors for less than the price of what the fabric should have been! CALL ME HAPPY!
- Stopped at Kroger on the way home (of course I did!) to check out clearance. I found 14 - 16 oz. bottles of salad dressing on closeout for .47 each!!!! Got Ranch, Italian, Caesar, and Honey BBQ. No way I could make it that cheaply! (dated 5/2018) YAY!!!
- I also got 4 sets of silicone ice cube trays in cute designs (flowers, stars and moustache). These went into the gift box/pantry. They were reduced to $1 per set of 3.
- Made hummingbird nectar
- My rain barrels are about half full - FREE garden water
- Finally made it to the Farm Market up the road yesterday (just before a storm hit). Got some nice radishes, baby turnips (we use in salad), salad greens and a loaf of Artisan bread. Cooked the radish and turnip greens for lunch (nothing wasted)
Meals this week:
Chunky salad and chicken strips
Salad and tuna patties
Ground pork burgers, dirty rice and side salad
Pork chops, leftover rice and green beans
Sloppy Joes and oven fries
Fried chicken livers and country gravy (definitely non-diet day!)
SNACKS: sliced strawberries, fruit smoothies and sherbet
How was your week? What have you done to help your pantry and/or your pocketbook??
How does your garden grow?
I absolutely love hearing from each of you. I love how we are getting a number of new readers. The more the merrier - so many more ideas to share!
Take care my friends and may you have a truly blessed week.
Cheryl you did have a great week! I was worried about you when I seen the flooding and I'm glad you are fine. What a great deal on your fabric. I love to boil eggs for snacks too- this morning I had one with my oatmeal. A great filler!ReplyDelete
Yes, we are fine. It seems sometimes that we are in some kind of vortex, as the extremes go north and south of us. Maybe the heat from being by a big city has something to do with it.Delete
Have a great week!
I love your chair!!! That pop of color is just the thing.ReplyDelete
Thank you. I just love purple!ReplyDelete
The purple of that chair is just lovely. It not only adds a pop of colour but a sense of humour to the garden as well. Love it.ReplyDelete
This past week I didn't get to the shops once. We have been doing all our eating out of our pantry, fridge and freezer. Bluey cooked up a big slow cooker pot of hearty chicken soup. He thickened up the broth with creamed corn. It was so delicious we had it two nights in a row. Night one we had it with warm sourdough loaf and night two with warm scones(biscuits).
I made a new batch of lovely soap. I used a coat hanger swirl method and ended up with soap that looked good enough to eat. Bluey called it Rocky Road soap.
It's been a week of home based endeavours and beautiful cool weather. Hope that the weather situation settles down around you.
Have a lovely week.
Jane thank you on the chair.Delete
How wonderful that you stayed out of the shops all week. That is surely the most frugal thing we can all do.
The soup sounds heavenly.
I have never tried making soap - yours sounds very lovely.
You have had quite a frugal week. Good going!
Have a good week.
You just reminded me to put boil eggs on my to do list! Your purple chair is so pretty! NancyReplyDelete
Nancy glad I put something useful in someone's mind!Delete
Have a lovely day.
" Cooked the radish and turnip greens for lunch (nothing wasted)".ReplyDelete
Tell how you do this as I have not ever done this. How do they taste?
I love your purple chair!
Laurie - I learned this trick from my brother - he doesn't waste anything.Delete
Just cut the greens off the top of veggie, I cut off some of the stem closest to veg and did throw that away.
I washed them really good and cut them up and put in a pan with water, a little ham bouillon and seasoning salt. Cooked until tender (about 1/2 hour).
They were quite good - had a little peppery taste (radish). Cooked them all together.
G loved them and "don't ever throw them away again!".
Will definitely do it again.
My brother even uses carrot top greens in his smoothies.
I'm loving that purple chair and now want one for my garden too! ;) My peonies will hopefully start blooming by next week. I love their perfume too!ReplyDelete
I think you had a fabulous week and am just tickled at the prices you got for the fleece and the scissors.
I think I had a pretty good week too. I was over thrilled at the prices.Delete
Find an old chair and paint away!!!!
Have a good day.