I think that describes us - huh folks?
It just makes good sense. There are so many ways to stretch our dollars each and every day. The old saying "waste not want not" is absolutely true. If we take care of our pennies - the dollars will follow.
Here are some ways we can all stretch a buck and still have a fantastic and frugal lifestyle.
- Use old cake mixes to make cookies, crisp toppings, waffles, etc. You can add a bit of baking powder if you want to make a cake and the mix is pretty old. Make waffles and break into fourths and then make ice cream sandwiches out of them! IF the mix smells fine - it IS fine to use. Don't worry about dates.
- Use leftover chili for topping on hotdogs, over baked potatoes or over nacho chips. Make a casserole by placing chili in pan and top with a package of corn bread mix (mix as directed). Add a bit of cheese if desired
- Use leftover taco meat on pizza, potatoes, fries, nachos. Add to soup or mac and cheese
- Flat or stale soda pop can be used to make jello or freeze it in cubes to keep drinks from being watered down.
- Save change all through the week and use for farm market purchases or for a weekend treat for the family without breaking the budget
- GARDEN - grow something!!! Even if it is just green onions or lettuce or herbs. Anything you grow will save you money at the store and it so much better for you.
- Save the 'crumbs' in the bottom of cereal boxes and use as topping over pudding or ice cream. Add into the topping for crisps
- Use leftover coffee and freeze in cubes. Will cool down that too hot cup. Place in a jar in frig and use when making a shake - love me a mocha shake!
- Repurpose ALL leftovers - "eat your garbage". Sounds funny - but why throw things away when they can be re-invented into something new
- Instead of serving each person a serving of meat - use half the meat and cut it up into a main course dish.
- CLEARANCE is our friend!!!! ALWAYS look for mark downs. If you find items that you use all the time - BUY ALL THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO BUY!
- Don't worry about dates! They are nothing that is etched in stone. Things are good for ages and ages after dates
- Catch shower water in a bucket. I know it doesn't seem like much savings - but it will water plants or flush a toilet - and if done daily, it saves money.
- Add pasta, potatoes or rice to stretch meals. These are all inexpensive and will stretch a meal incredibly
- Turn AC higher or heat lower. When using AC, basically you need it to remove humidity from the air. It will do that at even a higher temp - thus you will feel cooler.
- Sale stuff you aren't wearing or using. Unused stuff is just taking up space in your home and you can make some much needed funds.
- Shop the Dollar Tree if you have one. They are carrying more and more brand names and they do take coupons now. This is THE place to buy health and beauty items and cleaning stuff.
- Make your own lunch treats. Make peanut butter and crackers or cheese and cracker. Make your own Lunchables - so easy to do. Make your pudding or Jello cups. It is so much cheaper.
- Learn to make yummy and filling finger foods. there are tons of cold meals that are filling and inexpensive. It is amazing what you can do with a loaf of Italian bread!!!!!
- Family doesn't like veggies or you have leftovers to use up - puree them and use in soups or in muffins and breads - no one will know!
- If you have hit on HARD TIMES - DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO FEED YOUR FAMILY. Go to food pantries, apply for WIC or SNAP. Do NOT be ashamed. These resources are there to help and the good Lord knows we have all had hard times.
- Barter with family, neighbors or friends. If they have excess garden - perhaps you can barter a service with them
- Out of money? Inventory absolutely all food items you have and put together creative meals using those ingredients. Use your imaginations - you make creative a new family favorite!
- Take advantage of RAINCHECKS. If a sale item is out - ALWAYS ask for a rain check. You can get the sale price later on.
- Consider shutting down cable. Neflix, Hulu, and other are much cheaper and you can watch movies and many TV shows. You tube is great too. It is not just a 'how to' channel anymore.
- Check into selling home canned or home made items in your area.
Folks - FOOD IS POWER!
It is almost as good as cash (maybe better) in many instances. If things get bad - all your many thrifty ways WILL save yours and your families lives!
We all need to know ways to stretch our dollars, be thrifty and save NOW - then we will be able to thrive if things go south someday.
How do you stretch your dollars? We can all use every tip we can find!!
Looking forward to learning some great new tips.