Oh my goodness, we are half way through this month. I just can't believe the holidays will be here before we know it.
We had really cool temps all week, until yesterday. It looks like summer will be making a return this week - all week long. Highs will be in the 80's, maybe even 90 this coming week. We did get a little much needed rain earlier, and there is a small chance for the first part of the week. Sure can't complain.
The hummingbirds may be moving on, after that cool snap we had. I am not seeing them as much. I keep the nectar fresh and will be for a few weeks, for those passing through on the way south. I will miss my little flying jewels!
We got up the other morning to find a dead opossum in the back yard. Poor baby. I think it may have had a tussle with the dogs across the alley. It appeared to have a couple puncture wounds. I am not sure if it was our Opie that we have had since it was a baby or not. Seemed odd that it came here to die. Apparently they only live 2 - 3 years, but I still hate seeing something hurt. We still have a opossum in the yard once in a while at night since - so not sure if it lives here or is visiting.
This has been another quiet week.
Our frugal week:
- Picked a pretty little bouquet from the yard. Replaced roses in it, a couple times. They smell so good.
- Still harvesting garden. I actually got a couple cucumbers off the new vines! Love walking out back to get veggies. My bell peppers are loaded still! Lots of green tomatoes and still picking broccoli. YUM
- No A/C biggest part of the week.
- Washing windows with vinegar/water and newspapers.
- Took the top of the stove apart and cleaned. Not totally done canning - but the stove was in need! LOL Love using vinegar and baking soda!
- Doing lots of yard work - great exercise
- I have been eating apples and peanut butter for lunch. I love this time of year for the abundance of apples!
- Left the property only twice all week - so not much fuel used.
- I did a cat food run, trying to start building up cat food preps for the winter. Two stores - but neither had as much stock or variety as I wanted. Need to make a run to Rural King soon.
- I ran over to the farm market yesterday looking for butter. Store bought butter just seems to have NO taste to either of us. Farm market doesn't sell due to all the govt. regulations on dairy. I did buy a quart of local honey to have in stock. I guess I will start making my own butter!
- Line dried laundry
- All the regular things we all do everyday!
I think I stood there with my mouth open in a daze watching folks buy them for a good 10 minutes. I can buy a whole lot of groceries for $40! People never cease to amaze me.
Menu this past week:
Chicken strips, green beans & potatoes, sliced toms
Beef & rice enchiladas (2X)
Tuna salad sandwiches and chips
Creamy chicken/veggie linquine
Loaded baked potatoes
Nothing real exciting happening here. Quiet and calm the way I like it. I have so much I need to accomplish and I just don't seem to have the oomph I need! I guess maybe it is the change of season/weather - I don't know. I need to get my rump in gear and get a lot of stuff done.
Oh, I did get a new great/great nephew this week! His pictures are adorable and he is healthy. Can't ask for more than that!
How was your week? What did you do to stay on the frugal bandwagon?
I look forward to hearing from you all.
May the Lord bless you in all ways.